Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess you can call this a good rant but, i thought timing might not be right for me now for a puppy but after thinking about it, i was just stressing out... Anyway, you know how i have been looking for a pup but not having luck? I notice just now form 2 breeders that they have pups available!! :eek: Now the thing that has been making me think non stop is age. Funny how i just had that as a topic the other day!! :lol: Anyway, the breeder w/ the 5 month old decided to sell him and hes has what i'm looking for but the other breeder has a puppy (over 12 wks) who has the appearance, etc of what i like. Both are the same price too! iI would get both in a heartbeat but i can't!
Now i have to decide quickly because of what happened to me before; they'll be taken soon! This is stressful but what a nice type of stress to have!:D
Thanks for letting me rant!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well is the 5mo trained at all.does the 5mo old look like what u want also? if yes then i would go with him...if not go witht he younger one

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They both have the face i like and the 5 month old is pretty much potty trained on wee pads... I know the advantages of the 5 month old but puppy stage is so sweet (hard work too) and you can watch them grow... Thats the part i'm deciding on, will i miss that part if i go w/the older pup. Both are good breeders; i asked alot of questions and spoke w/ referrals, etc... too.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
are they close by...maybe go play with both..i personally prefer to skip the puppy stage...lots of stress! but some ppl like it. 5 mo is still a puppy

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Jan 3 2005, 07:14 PM
Oh my!  Flip a coin!  what are the pros and cons?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=27297
[/QUOTE]

no kidding!!
pros w/ the older one is i have a better idea w/ temperament, face, hes almost potty trained (if i take him i'll have to reenforce that), he has a good coat.
younger one is he'll be more the size i want (smaller lap puppy), and i can experience him growing up. cons will be the potty training (but i'm up for it) and cons for the older on is he will probably be a little bigger than i prefer but not too much of a big deal.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
how big is the 5mo old? there is no way to know if the other one will be the size u want...unless u know far back in the history all the lines are small. o ic he is 4.5 lbs...doesnt sound like he will be big...parker was about that weight at that age..he is 6lbs now

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Eeeny Meeny Miney Mo,
haha J/k. What about personality of each, have you been around them to see how they act? We had to pick between 2 of the lil' fur butts when we bought Caesar. The other one was quite a bit smaller, but was very hyper. Caesar was hyper at first, but then calmed down and slept between my husband and I on the couch, while the other one continued to hop around. :D

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Oohhh, this is a toughie!!! I don't know which choice I'd make...I do know that regardless of which one you choose, you'll feel as if s/he has been with you forever before 24 hours pass...and your heart will be all his or hers.

As adorable as she was, Sylphide was really, really bratty between 12 weeks to 5 months, and started settling down (although she is still a brat) at around 5 months...since I just went through the puppy stage with her (she's 16 months), I'd probably go for the 5 month old...but then again, babies are soooooo cute :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
942 Posts
I got Chanel at 4 months old, which was a bit older than most people when they purchased their pups...but she had gone past her teething stage, she was potty trained, etc. I don't think I would have liked the biting/nipping stage. And my breeder potty trained Chanel and Chanel will pee on the pad now if she sees one. I think that is invaluable. Also, with the older one, you can see that it already has the look you want, the younger one may grow into a face that you don't like.

I agree with the personality/temperment. Chanel was aloof when I went to pick her up, but I was a stranger then.

I would also consider distance and comfort level with the breeder!

Good luck deciding and let us know!!

~Elegant

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Man, I dont know how to help ya. Maybe imagine yourself with the younger pup, and seeing how much you'd miss the 5 month old one and then vice versa and think of which one you'd really be happier with. Good Luck. I definitely can't wait til you find your baby

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I got Brinkley at 4 months...and I didn't think about it then-and I wouldn't change it now...BUT...I see the pictures of the little tiny pups and I kinda feel sad that I missed that baby stage with him. If I get another, I don't know that I will wait until they are that old. Just my opinion, but it sounds like either way you can't lose. I loved Brinkley at first sight/smell/touch!!!! Regardless of his age....

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
At least you have a choice! LOL. When it rains, it pours. How big are the parents of the puppies? The 5 month old shouldn't get THAT much bigger. My pups went to the vet today and they are just short of 6 months. Sassy is 3lb15ounces. Sadie is 4lb3ounces. I really like this size. I would be afraid of getting one that is TOO small for fear it would have lots of health trouble. Let us know what you decide. After having gotten both of my babies at different times, I would lean toward the older dog IF it has been around people and IF it hasn't been allowed to develop lots of nasty habits. Good luck!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone, i didn't expect all the responses & help! I will make my decision tomorrow and let you guys know what happened! the older one is in good hands, w/ his other siblings, well socialized, no nasty habits yet! thank goodness!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Seems like you got a lot of good advise .
I myself would take the 5 month one from all that you have said. We got chester at 12 weeks. He was already trained to go outside.

Five months is still a puppie and you really have not missed that much. There is still lots of time for bonding. In the early stages they mostly sleep eat and poop.
chelsey our maltese is 5 month now and she is still in training. She is very good with potty but still has a few acciedents , on the carpet down stairs
I think she thinks it grass or something.

Regarding the size, you really will not know how big or small they will get. All you can do is guess. Some malts start of small and end up big or the other way around just like children.

I know it hard to pick because they are all so cute. I'm lucky there are no breeder close to our home or we would have more pupies...

I don't think you can make a bad choice here... both are good breeders, both puppies have good temperment and are just what you want.

Good luck and post pictures when you pick up your baby

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Snoopychan, maybe you should back off your search for awhile and de-stress yourself? You sound like you are driving yourself crazy trying to find the perfect puppy.

I always believe that the ones that are meant to be somehow find you. I think maybe you just haven't found "the one" yet, and when you do, you'll know it. I'd hate you to have to feel pressured to decide between one of these two, then second guess your decision down the line.

He or she is out there - somewhere..........

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by snoopychan@Jan 3 2005, 08:51 PM
I guess you can call this a good rant but, i thought timing might not be right for me now for a puppy but after thinking about it, i was just stressing out... Anyway, you know how i have been looking for a pup but not having luck? I notice just now form 2 breeders that they have pups available!!  :eek: Now the thing that has been making me think non stop is age. Funny how i just had that as a topic the other day!! :lol: Anyway, the breeder w/ the 5 month old decided to sell him and hes has what i'm looking for but the other breeder has a puppy (over 12 wks) who has the appearance, etc of what i like. Both are the same price too! iI would get both in a heartbeat but i can't!
  Now i have to decide quickly because of what happened to me before; they'll be taken soon! This is stressful but what a nice type of stress to have!:D
Thanks for letting me rant!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=27287
[/QUOTE]

Can I just say that when I was looking for a puppy, I was looking for a specific one in terms of coat, colouring etc. I didn't want any lemon colouring etc... and then I found this most wonderful little girl and I fell in love with her - despite having lemon ears and a tiny patch of lemon at the back of her head

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, unless you are purchasing the pup for show (which I gather you aren't), then I would concentrate more on the personality. You have to live with this little one for 10-15 years... that's a long time to spend with a beautiful but possibly nasty puppy! LOL Nah, I know you don't really know what the other puppy is like personality-wise, but if you like what you see in the older puppy, then I think you should go with him! There's obviously something about him that you really like because you've mentioned him a number of times

And I wouldn't be concerned about the age to be honest. Abby is about 5 1/2 months old now - it's a beatiful age. If anything, I think it is an age where you tend to not worry "quite" so much - Up until Abby hit about 5 months, I worried 24/7 about her. Just recently I have started to relax a little - and I'm really enjoying it now

Just my two cents worth!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts