Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maltese are so cute they attract people and kids that coo... but then RRRRRRR!! My dog Kenji starts growling in his lil pup purse. He seems to take to older people.. males usually. He is a male but growls at mostly children and women. They are the majority of people who say.. "oh.. how cute..." and when they approach him.. he ain't so cute no more! He barks at other animals on television also. He even barks at cartoon animals! I don't know how to control his barking behavior. I am totally against putting a barking device around his neck. Any suggestions? I would love to go out to a pet friendly cafe/restaurant in townso he can socialize but am afraid i would be disrupting everyone's meal!! Does anyone else have or had this problem?? PLEASE leave any tips...
Appreciated,
Lei

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Alex will be fine in his bag as long as nobody comes toooo close. So I don't let anybody come too close. He used to be very agressive when somebody approched us when I had him in my arms. But he is doing a lot better now. He is more tolerant. Probably because he gets more used to it. I seldom take him with me when going out, so his exposure to strangers is rather limited. And on another hand, I don't want him to be too friendly either with people he does not know.
At home he barks at the squirrels and anybody that walks in front of our house. He does not bark for "nothing". There is always a reason. If I get tired of it, I just remove him from the area where there is something to bark at. If I just tell him to stop barking, he will.......... but only for a few minutes.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Uhhhgg.....The first 2 months after I brought Massimo home, he would bark at every single noise he heard. It was really bad at night. It felt like I never slept. I started saying "Massimo, SHHHH!" everytime he barked at night. Now he does this under-his-breath bark or growl. LOL When I say SHHH to that, he quiets right down.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Recently Stitch has been barking like crazy every time another dog is in the area, and sometimes when other people are around when we're on walks outside. We started training classes which is helping a little since he gets socialized with some other dogs, but he still goes nuts!! What we found we were doing wrong (from our trainer) was paying attention to him when he barks. We would tell him to stop, talk to him, try to calm him down by making him sit etc...
Our trainer said that that just feeds into the behaviour and tells them that it's ok. She suggested we just spray him in the face with a squirt bottle and say, "Enough" or some other stop work, like "Uh-uh". (she doesn't recommend saying'No" cause it's used too much). Don't touch him or say anything else to him. In any case, so far it's worked (but it's only been two days!!) Might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Jul 26 2005, 09:34 AM
At home he barks at the squirrels and anybody that walks in front of our house. He does not bark for "nothing". There is always a reason.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84602
[/QUOTE]

Brink always has a reason, although by the time I get there, sometimes I cannot see/find the reason. Someone on here suggested the opening the door and looking, telling them all is ok and then shutting the door back. For whatever reason, this seems to help some with Brinkley. Just my acknowledgment that all is well seems to quiet him down. Now when the kids have friends over playing in the yard, or the big dogs are running around out there...there is NO hope...he is going to bark until he is satisfied. THAT drives me nuts!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I also have tried everything with Tag to get him to stop barking. He has finally figured out that it isn't nice to bark at people and other dogs when we are walking but at home he barks at everything. If Chance my big dog is going up or down the stairs, thats a reason to bark. Motorcyle going down the road, any sound outside, just about anything. I have tried everything I can think of from pennies in a can rattle to buying one of those things that you sit on the counter and if the dog barks it lets out a sound that they can hear but you can't. Water if the face is just fun to him and he will bark to get you to do it some more. He has figured out that barking is making me really cross with him so now what he does is runs under the couch and barks. The only good thing about that is it muffles it a bit. I would also love to hear of some more ideas to stop the barks. There has to be a way either that or losing my hearing would help

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I dont know if behaviorists\trainers would agree with this, but I have read that you should distract them and make them do something else for a reward. So, for me, the magic word is "cookie". When I say cookie Phoebe runs from wherever she is, no matter what she's doing for that cookie. So, I then make her sit and give me her paw or something else, give her a cookie, and it works! She forgets all about what she was barking at.

I would imagine there is a fine line between rewarding them for the barking, or rewarding for the trick, so I make sure she does more than one thing for it. I'd love to hear opinions on that.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Jul 26 2005, 12:56 PM
I dont know if behaviorists\trainers would agree with this, but I have read that you should distract them and make them do something else for a reward.  So, for me, the magic word is "cookie".  When I say cookie Phoebe runs from wherever she is, no matter what she's doing for that cookie.  So, I then make her sit and give me her paw or something else, give her a cookie, and it works!  She forgets all about what she was barking at. 

I would imagine there is a fine line between rewarding them for the barking, or rewarding for the trick, so I make sure she does more than one thing for it.  I'd love to hear opinions on that.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84666
[/QUOTE]
That sounds like what the trainer told me to try. When they are doing something you don't want them to do distract them into doing something you want them to do and reward them.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Harley used to bark at anything & everything when he was young - it drove me nuts! This probably goes against what a trainer would advise, but when he started barking - mostly when he's outside - I would go out & clap my hands to distract him - it worked! He hardly ever barks anymore, and if he does, it's for a reason, I can tell when he's serious about his barking, it's somehow different to just a normal bark and when he starts his serious bark, I go straight outside to see what's going on - the last time this happened it was because a young kid was banging our fence with a stick & as far as Harley was concerned, that was not on!

Good luck - I liked the suggestion of distraction & reward, great idea!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts