Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I wasn't nervous until now - the day before. A few questions have popped into my head now

Question 1: If I'm going to grow a topknot for Abbey, do I have her not cut any of the hairs around her eyes - Even the ones from the nose area that stick in her eyes?

Question 2: Abbey's hair is 2 1/2 inches long right now and is really laying nice - If I have her cut it shorter (puppy cut), about 1 or 1 1/2 inch will it "puff out"?

Question 3: If I grow out the hair for a topknot, do I have to put something in it everyday or will it comb in with the ears?

If you could- respond quickly. I'd appreciate your advice!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey@May 2 2005, 10:35 AM
Question 2:  Abbey's hair is 2 1/2 inches long right now and is really laying nice - If I have her cut it shorter (puppy cut), about 1 or 1 1/2 inch will it "puff out"?<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58903
[/QUOTE]
How often are you planning on getting her hair cut? Lexi's hair grows pretty fast so when she goes to the groomers I have it cut to 1/2 inch. Within 3 weeks it is about an inch or more long and is puffy. I can't afford to have her go to the groomers every 3-4 weeks so that is why I have it cut shorter.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
1- You can still grow a topknot and keep the hair on the bridge of the nose and corners of the eyes cut short. Once its short you'll always need to keep it short. Unless you decide to grow it out, then it will have to go through that growing stage where it is poking her in the eyes.

2- Even at 1 or 1.5 inch it can still lie down. Depending on the heavyness of the hair I doubt it will puff at that length. I think to get rid of a noticeable part down the back, it probably needs to be shorter but I guess its possible.

3 - If you grow it for a topknot, you will have to put something in it or it will fall down over her eyes. I usually put an easy clip in it during the day, or those terry cloth ponytail holders if I'm not going to be around her (she still likes to eat the clip if it falls out). For longer lasting ponies, I use the small nylon bands.

Abbey is so cute

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
What type of coat does Abbey have? If she has a cottony coat, she'll be puffy even at 1&1/2 inches. Personally, I think that's a good thing. Fluffy puppy cuts look much better to me.

I wouldn't have your groomer touch her topknot area around her eyes at all. You will be amazed at how much miscommunication there can be between owner and groomer! I have seen dogs in topknots that have bangs so just some hair on the top is left long for a bow. You wouldn't want that result. It's pretty easy to trim the hairs around the corners of their eyes with small rounded tip scissors. I'd do it myself if I were you.

When I grew Lady's topknot out when I adopted her, it didn't part into the ears, but fell forward in her face. The growing out stage can be a pain. You can use a little gel to slick it back and those small butterfly clips to hold it out of her eyes.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all so much! So many decisions - so little time! I may try the 1 1/2 inch cut. I just don't want her to have that close cut shave look. I really do like the length it is but if she doesn't get trimmed by the time I take her back it will probably be too long. I want to try to take her to the groomers every 6 weeks, if I can stretch it out.

Right now her hair above her eyes sticks straight out! She doesn't like anything in her hair very long (a half day at most), so that is why I wondered where the topknot would fall if she didn't have anything in. I hate for it to be trimmed and look like she's got a spike. Oh, I'm so unsure!!!
I guess for tomorrow I'll just not have them do anything but what is necessary like trim the hairs out of her eyes.

Thanks again! I'll let you know how her appt. goes. I have to drop her off at 9:00 am and pick her back up at 3:00. I'm going to be a nervous wreck.
I can't wait to see how nervous I'll be when she gets spayed in June!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts