Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abbey's back from her first grooming appt. and I think I may have not communicated myself clearly enough. Her body is perfect - left to 2 inches long but her face is shaved like a poodle.
I miss that puppy face!!! Please someone tell me how long it will take to grow out to 1/2 inch or so? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I shaved Sunny's face like that about a month ago ( he had a mat on his face so i had to just make it all short) and its just now starting to look more maltese like. Dont worry about it to much though for like the first few days after I did it everytime I looked at him I was like "what did i do?!?" but really now that I am used to it I kinda like it, dont have to deal with his face getting dirty from food and water.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I tried 3 different groomers here in Raleigh, all recommended, but no one seemed to know how a Maltese face is supposed to look. Lady got the poodle look, too, with the shaved snout. The groomer even put bows on the side of each ear to complete the look!

I've heard people complain about the opposite, that the groomer practically shaves the body and leaves the face long, making them look like a walking head!

That's why I learned to groom Lady myself....

Anyway, don't worry. Their hair grows amazingly fast. You be surprised that even in a few weeks it will look a lot better.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
yep every few weeks i have to trim chelsey down and her hair was still very long.
don't worry soon her puppy face will be back.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sisse wanted to tell Abby not to worry!! It'll grow back pretty darn quick!! Sisse had a HORRIBLE first groom and I was ready to freak out, but it did grow back quick like Lady's Mom, Marj said!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@May 3 2005, 02:49 PM
Sisse wanted to tell Abby not to worry!!  It'll grow back pretty darn quick!!  Sisse had a HORRIBLE first groom and I was ready to freak out, but it did grow back quick like Lady's Mom, Marj said!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59338
[/QUOTE]

tee-hee I seem to recall that you *did* freak out
I'm glad Sisse is all grown out and wow that was fast!

It will grow
Its usually about 1/2 inch per month. You will adjust to it being shorter while it is growing longer. You'll be fine somewhere in the middle

·
Registered
894 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry+May 3 2005, 02:00 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Sisses Momma
@May 3 2005, 02:49 PM
Sisse wanted to tell Abby not to worry!!  It'll grow back pretty darn quick!!  Sisse had a HORRIBLE first groom and I was ready to freak out, but it did grow back quick like Lady's Mom, Marj said!!

It will grow
Its usually about 1/2 inch per month. You will adjust to it being shorter while it is growing longer. You'll be fine somewhere in the middle

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59369
[/B][/QUOTE]

Uhhhhh, I was hoping nobody would remember

·
Registered
994 Posts
i am finally happy with maxis grooming the worst was the one groomer that decided to shave my baby in the dead winter i almost killed her
now i get him groomed every 3 weeks i tell them to leave his adorable puppy face full because maxi looks so adorable with a full face i have his body cut shorter and he looks perfect
can you tell im a stage mother

·
Registered
226 Posts
oh no! you know how much i love abbey!!! she can't look bad, she is toooo cute! don't worry, it will grow back. i'm afraid to take tessa to the groomer but she needs to go, her tear stains are getting pretty bad!

can you post a picture of abbey's cut? i'd love to see it!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma+May 3 2005, 04:15 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 3 2005, 02:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Sisses Momma
@May 3 2005, 02:49 PM

It will grow

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59369

[/QUOTE]

Uhhhhh, I was hoping nobody would remember

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59377
[/B][/QUOTE]
Not yet! HAHAHAH

I bet Abbey is still cute! Just takes some getting use to!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am trying to post pic but having great difficulty. I told you I was terrible on the computer. I have downloaded photo from my digital camera and picture is saved in my album but I can't get it to load on here (Not sure what to put for http:// address). Tried cut and copy - didn't work. Tried loading in Gallery wouldn't work so I will work on it tonight as I'll be gone all day. Thanks. Bonnie and Abbey

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey@May 4 2005, 08:47 AM
I am trying to post pic but having great difficulty.  I told you I was terrible on the computer.  I have downloaded photo from my digital camera and picture is saved in my album but I can't get it to load on here (Not sure what to put for http:// address).  Tried cut and copy - didn't work.  Tried loading in Gallery wouldn't work so I will work on it tonight as I'll be gone all day.  Thanks.  Bonnie and Abbey

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59575
[/QUOTE]

1. Double click on your thumbnail photo in the Gallery to enlarge it.

2. Then right click on your enlarged image and click on properties, the last item on the list. You will see "Address - URL" in the box that comes up. That is the address you need. "Copy" that address"

3. Then go to a posting box to post your message and photo.

4. At the top of the posting box are formatting choices. Choose the 2nd one on the 2nd row "IMG".

5. Click that and when the box opens, "Paste" in the Address - URL of your image.

6. It will then put it in your posting box and the image should show up in your post after you hit "Add Reply". You can also click on "Preview Post" to see if it worked.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
OH MY. she does look different. nothing could take away from that pretty face though!

she still looks cute though, honestly. i can see how it was a bit of a shock LOL

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
She looks cute! I realize this is not what you wanted her to look like, but she is a very cute dog regardless.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, I did not know that would be so large! I am truly an amateur!

As you can see from my avatar picture, her full cute little puppy face is gone!
Her head doesn't match her fluffy body now. Should I go back and have her take length off of her body or leave well enough alone and let her face grow in?
Part of this was my fault because I told her that I did not want Abbey to grow a goatee - but I meant beard, so do you think this is why she shaved it?

Question #2: Would you go back to this groomer but explain maltese face better? I thought about taking charmypoo's avatar photo to next groomer so she can see how I like it. I would even be happy with 1/2 inch longer. I know there are not many maltese around this area but there are plenty of yorkie terriors - Wouldn't the cut basically be the same?

Thanks! Any help you can give me would be great!

·
Registered
894 Posts
She is just a sweetie and I can FULLY understand you getting upset. There is nothing wrong with her, as I was told over and over again.....it's just so different!! It does grow fast and I am learning how to groom her myself, it's not as hard as you think!! They could of left Abby's face a bit longer, Sisse's was left to long and she looked like this anorexic dog with a huge head!! There has got to be a middle ground doesn't there!! It grows quickly, don't worry about that!! She is still your baby
I know I felt like I had sent this fluffy little baby to them and she came home looking like an old lady!! And one old lady in our house is enough!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yes she does look different, but she is sooooooo cute. It still looks good... I know it not what you expected, but she still looks like a cutie

1 - 20 of 35 Posts