Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've thought about it for the last few weeks.... I love Abby's longer coat (it's about 3 inches long) and I really wanted to grow it, but for three things (in no particular order)...

1. we are starting to get matts, and she hates sitting for 45 minutes while I try to get them out and I hate the thought that I am hurting her when I try so hard not to!

2. I love to dress her in little tees etc, but she matts under them!

3. The town I live it in gets to high 30s and at times into the 40s (degrees celcius) during summer. We're also going up north to Townsville for Christmas which gets hotter! I don't want my baby to suffer for summer!

So I've decided to have her clipped... and I'm very nervous!
Her appointment is this Friday.

I was thinking of going to approx 1.5 inches all over, maybe a little bit shorter on her bottom. I want to keep her topknots and just trim her face and I was thinking to get the groomer not to shave around the eyes, but to just maybe get those hairs that stick in her eyes all the time... I want to keep growing her "eyebrow" because it is almost back in the topknots. I don't really know, but I thought she could be clipped around her face with the topknots in so that her face looks fluffy and cute with them in (I don't want her muzzle hair cut short). And get her to blend her head in with her body so she doesn't look like she has a big head. She has topknots in every day anyway, I only really take them out and leave them out when I bath her (I redo them every day or sometimes every second day depending on the state they are in!!), so I think cutting them with them in is a good idea.... so what do you guys think about my plan??

Or do you guys think 1 inch all over??
I still want her to look like my fluffy baby - I don't want it really short so I can see her skin under or something - she needs to be protected in the time she is in the sun (not a lot, but I don't want to have to worry about sunscreen etc for her)... the Aussie sun can be harsh... :wacko:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and the other thing is that I am going to stay with her while she gets clipped so I can keep an eye on what is being done to her and maybe discuss it with the groomer while she's doing it, and I want to watch her closely.... if it looks easy enough, I'm going to purchase some clippers and try to do it myself - I think it's safer to take her to a professional first time around though!

Still doesn't change the fact that I'm scared.... I've heard some bad stories about grooming sessions on this site!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Sunshine@Nov 8 2004, 02:31 AM
Okay, so I've thought about it for the last few weeks.... I love Abby's longer coat (it's about 3 inches long) and I really wanted to grow it, but for three things (in no particular order)...

1. we are starting to get matts, and she hates sitting for 45 minutes while I try to get them out and I hate the thought that I am hurting her when I try so hard not to!

2. I love to dress her in little tees etc, but she matts under them!

3. The town I live it in gets to high 30s and at times into the 40s (degrees celcius) during summer. We're also going up north to Townsville for Christmas which gets hotter! I don't want my baby to suffer for summer!

So I've decided to have her clipped... and I'm very nervous! 
  Her appointment is this Friday.

I was thinking of going to approx 1.5 inches all over, maybe a little bit shorter on her bottom. I want to keep her topknots and just trim her face and I was thinking to get the groomer not to shave around the eyes, but to just maybe get those hairs that stick in her eyes all the time... I want to keep growing her "eyebrow" because it is almost back in the topknots. I don't really know, but I thought she could be clipped around her face with the topknots in so that her face looks fluffy and cute with them in (I don't want her muzzle hair cut short). And get her to blend her head in with her body so she doesn't look like she has a big head. She has topknots in every day anyway, I only really take them out and leave them out when I bath her (I redo them every day or sometimes every second day depending on the state they are in!!), so I think cutting them with them in is a good idea.... so what do you guys think about my plan??

Or do you guys think 1 inch all over?? 
  I still want her to look like my fluffy baby - I don't want it really short so I can see her skin under or something - she needs to be protected in the time she is in the sun (not a lot, but I don't want to have to worry about sunscreen etc for her)... the Aussie sun can be harsh... :wacko:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15341
[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Sunshine@Nov 8 2004, 02:35 AM
Oh, and the other thing is that I am going to stay with her while she gets clipped so I can keep an eye on what is being done to her and maybe discuss it with the groomer while she's doing it, and I want to watch her closely.... if it looks easy enough, I'm going to purchase some clippers and try to do it myself - I think it's safer to take her to a professional first time around though!

Still doesn't change the fact that I'm scared.... I've heard some bad stories about grooming sessions on this site! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15342
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have a plan to me!!!

I have been letting Brinkley's grow out...it is probably 2- 2.5 inches on his body right now... I like it at about 2....I can already tell he is going to mat badly in a longer coat. Anyway, although I somewhat trimmed his face the other day, I am letting it all go for now b/c I am going to take him to a groomer right before we leave for Thanksgiving. I am also hoping I can stay and watch...will give an update.

Let us know how Abby does...post pictures! :D

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I got Tuffy clipped to 1 inch all over and it was a wee bit too short for my tastes.. I'm looking forward to it growing out another inch.. I think 1.5 to 2 inches is a perfect length, just long enough to look cute and fluffy and not totally chopped and just short enough to keep them from matting. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Well, the good news is that it'll be a while until your babies need to go grooming and you save money

·
Registered
323 Posts
we keep ours in a puppy cut of 1.5 to 2.0 inches, Pudge starts to matt if he gets any longer than than, he has curlier hair. Josie can go to the floor with hers and not matt but it is just easier if one is short to keep them both that way. I agree with Tuffy's mom 1 inch was a bit to short for me, but it was great for the summer, the dogs loved it, so probably next summer they will go short again and I will keep it the rest of the time at 1.5 to 2.0. Let us know how it turns out. No matter what they are adorable...

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
all I have to say is... LESS MATTS!
Kodie's hair is about 2in long or so.. and he gets MATTTTTS! They are evil!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone.

Abby's hair is about 3 inches long now - it just seems to come out of nowhere - she's only 16 weeks old! :wacko:

Anyway, right up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago we had no problems at all with matts - so I will ask for her to clipped to around 1.5 -2 inches this time - so many of you agree on that length!!

I'm guessing that she will need to have a quick "trim" just before I go to Townsville, which is 6 weeks away - so if it was too long then I can go a bit shorter but if it was too short it might have grown out by then!! LOL

She is meeting a lot of the extended family so I want her to look like the usual little doll that she is

Thanks everyone... I'll definitely take and post pics as soon as I can!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Sunshine@Nov 8 2004, 02:28 PM
Thanks everyone. 

Abby's hair is about 3 inches long now - it just seems to come out of nowhere - she's only 16 weeks old!  :wacko:

Anyway, right up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago we had no problems at all with matts - so I will ask for her to clipped to around 1.5 -2 inches this time - so many of you agree on that length!! 

I'm guessing that she will need to have a quick "trim" just before I go to Townsville, which is 6 weeks away - so if it was too long then I can go a bit shorter but if it was too short it might have grown out by then!! LOL

She is meeting a lot of the extended family so I want her to look like the usual little doll that she is 

Thanks everyone... I'll definitely take and post pics as soon as I can!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15422
[/QUOTE]

Lexi's hair was the same way when she was that age. For the first 1 to 1.5 months I had her her hair was perfect, no matts. And then all of the sudden she was a matted mess. Since it was the end of May at the time I had her cut down to 1/2 inch and started over. I'm letting her hair grow out now and it is about 3.5 inches long. Its starting to mat again so I might be cutting it to 1 inch.

I would recommend getting her hair cut to 1 to 1.5 inches. Lexi's hair grew 1 inch in the first 3 weeks after her cut. At 1 inch they still have some puffiness but it is really easy to comb and take care of.

·
Registered
942 Posts
After Chanel got spayed, I had to cut ALL of the hair around her neck and throat area to about 1/4 of an inch...the mat was HUGE and close to the skin, and I said screw it, I'm cutting if off...took over 2 hours to completely cut around.

I am taking her in for her first grooming session on Thursday because I have the day off for Veteran's Day. I am nervous. She gets hair in her eyes, so her tearing is bad, and yellowish stuff comes out (hope it is not an eye infection). I wanther fur to be cut aroun 1-2 inches because on her body, her hair is about 4-5inches long, but somewhat matted.

She looks so weird...I feel like a bad mommy because she looks like a freak...
I'm ashamed at what my $2000 dog looks like. If you looked at her, you never would have guessed I paid that much. I feel so bad!!! But Thursday is coming, I don't want her to look like a Poodle, Bishon, or Shitzu...I want a cute puppy cut.

Good luck!

~Elegant

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Nov 9 2004, 11:33 PM
She gets hair in her eyes, so her tearing is bad, and yellowish stuff comes out (hope it is not an eye infection).
~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15680
[/QUOTE]

Elegant, you may want to have Chanel's eyes checked out... I don't believe the tears should be yellow at all. Maybe just call the vet's office to be sure.....

BTW, good luck with her grooming.... be sure to post a photo afterward!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Tini is getting groomed for the first time tomorrow. I have talked with the groomer and she ownes 2 Maltese and she said she will have a little consulation with me before the "cut". She was really nice and was joking with me about how nervous I was. So... I will take some pictures tomorrow... I'm a little nervous, but I just keep thinking how cute she will look!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts