Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
Abby went to the vet today, everything is great, the vet said she has the most beautiful teeth!!!! BUt she growled at her vet :eek: she had develop a small rash "down there", the vet was disinfecting it and that's when she growled. I am so shocked :eek: Abby is the sweetest lil girl, she plays with everyone; children, adults, older people and other dogs. I always mess with her ears and paws and take her treats and toys away and she never did this before.
I am praying this is an isolated incident but it's still upseting.
Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
this has recently happened with Kodie but it wasnt at the vets. Kodie is over 1yr 6months old and has never ever been nasty or have an attitude... until... after he was neutered..... hes nasty with his greenie and his tendon. I dont understand it either. For over 1year NEVER an attitude.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
how'd she get a rash down there? and sprite growls whenever i try to clip her nails. i just tell her to shut up. LOL so hopefully its not serious.

·
Registered
489 Posts
When dogs feel afraid or threatened in any way they growl. It's how they can express themselves and give a warning. She's probably just saying hey get the heck out of that area, It doesn't feel good. I wish I could growl at my Gynocologist sometimes LOL

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If the rash was painful, growling was the correct behavior for her as opposed to immediately biting.

What you can do: handle her like she may be handled in the vet's office. Restrain her on her side, have her sit and hold her head steady, look in her ears, roll her on her back and touch her feet, pads, and belly, stand her up and look under her tail, have her sit and hold one front leg out in front of her, look in her mouth, open her mouth...

By making these situations familiar to her, you can take a lot of the anxiety and struggle out of vet visits. Another thing to do it just drop by the vet, weigh her and have the receptionists or technicians say hello to her and touch her. Have friends who stop by the house do an exam on her. There is a lot you can do to get her use to the procedures she may undergo at the vet so that it is never more than a growl to show discomfort.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Jan 9 2005, 01:19 AM
how'd she get a rash down there?  and sprite growls whenever i try to clip her nails.  i just tell her to shut up.  LOL  so hopefully its not serious. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28526
[/QUOTE]

The vet said that when she pees the hair that gets wet with the urine can be irritating....
i always wipe her after she goes but i guess when I'm not at home she stays kind of wet down there. They trimmed the hair and gave me medicated wipes.
Adorableaccents, you are too funny
I'd loved to growl at my Dr. too.

Thank you guys for all the good tips I'll star trying them right away.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Do you keep Abby well trimmed down there, what we call a sanitary cut? That will help keep her dry and clean.

My diabetic Lady is having a problem with a urinary tract infection that won't clear up. I bought some Cottenelle personal wipes, cut them in half and use them after she pees. She is hysterical about it! I tell her I have to "wipe her tush" and she stands as still as statue!

The things we do for thse dogs, huh?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah...definitely listen to ladysmom. you gotta trim the hair. sprite and ellie have it really really short.....almost to the skin. and when i trim ellie...its so funny cuz cynthia will hold her up in the air and i'll try to open her legs...and she closes them tight.....so its pretty hard. LOL

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am keeping it trimmed from now on..
and yes we do crazy thing for these babies, when told my b/f that I needed to wipe her "coochie" he almost died
but hey, anything for my baby!!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
LOL....i used to do that too!! my friend was like "cathy...she has to learn how to do it herself". LOL. so now gruffi does it to himself.
he learns everything from the girls. lol

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
LOL Mikey never cleans himself because I'm always there with a baby wipe.

Did you get the Malaseb pledgelettes? I used those on my labby girl when she was alive. She use to get kind of nasty down there. They worked wonderfully!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Malaseb pledgelettes? No, never heard of them. I just got the Cottenelle personal wipes. I'll have to look for them. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Thanks! I order from Revival all the time. Just got my 3V Caps from them on Friday! I'll get some next time I order.

For those of you who don't know about Revival, here is the link:

http://revivalanimal.com/default.asp?bhcd2=1105454056

It's great place for supplies and their prices are really low. (I think a 24 pack of petite Greenies is only $10.99. Great for heartworm and flea preventative, supplements and basic supplies. The best thing is that their shipping and handling is reasonable, usually about $4 for my orders.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Originally posted by adorableaccentsdogbows.com@Jan 9 2005, 06:39 AM
, It doesn't feel good. I wish I could growl at my Gynocologist sometimes LOL 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28532
[/QUOTE]
How funny, I am there with you on that one....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts