Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not posted in forever it seems, but here I am a crisis hits and were do I turn to the people I know will understand. We got bad news on Wednesday about my precious Josie (2 years old) it appears she was born with abnormal kidneys and they let out to much fluid so she-has now been placed on a very low protein diet-and we are going to do everything we can to keep her around along time. I forgot to ask the vet if there was a specific name for it, but she was having the radiologist review the ultrasound, evidently they have two parts to there kidneys and hers are not working like they should and allow to much fluid to seep out so we have to make sure she drinks alot and if it comes to it there is a fluid replacement technique where they would teach me to put fluids in her 2-3 times a week. I cried my eyes out on Wednesday as she is only two, and the idea that she won't be around for along time about killed me. But my DH reminded me that we could make sure she had the best and most loved life while we have her so Princess Josie will be even more spoiled. So far she likes her new medically RX'd wet dog food, has not taken to the new dry yet. We are having to teach the other two to eat on schedule as they have always free feed. It is so hard when we know our little ones are sick but fortunately she does not know it yet and I am going to cherish the good days we have with her. If Lady M or anyone out there knows anything about this I would appreciate any input on ways to keep her healthy...I forgot they also confirmed that she is deaf-how much fun can you have in one day......

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
im sorry to hear about ur poor little josie
if u could find out the name..maybe i could give you more infor. right now i dont quite understand what condition she has. is it the kidneys themselves or the ureters? any more infor u could give me will help. again im sorry...she is luck to have someone like u to care for her.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Josie
Peanut was recently put on a prescription low protein diet too and I had to switch to meal feeding too, to keep Tic from eating Peanut's food and Peanut from Tic's...Peanut's just shy of turning two so I know how it feels to hear that something is wrong with such a young baby

I got a recipe off of Hill's website (I don't know if that's the brand you are using) to make "cookies" out of the kibble. Peanut hated the kibble at first, but he went bonkers for the cookies I made him. You can also do it with the canned food. Peanut is not allowed treats now, and even if he was every dog treat I have seen says 'high in protein' right on the package, so we don't really have many choices. The recipe is really really simple and it helped Peanut develop a taste for the kibble. The only thing is that the site said to limit the amount of these treats because baking the kibbles takes away from the nutrient level.

Please keep us posted. You and Josie will be in our thoughts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear about Josie. I know how devastated you must be. Hearing that a person or animal we love has a serious illness has to be one of the most difficult things to deal with... at least for me that's the way it is.

You and Josie will be in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your responses. I do not have a name yet, they were having the radiologist look at the ultrasound so hopefully today, I will know more. Lady M I will let you know as soon as I get a name, from what they said it is the kidneys themselves that are allowing fluid out and not retaining it, so her urine is diluted.....the treats are the hardest our vet said we could take the wet and try to bake it into treats so I will have to try that. I will also check on the cookies on the kibble because right now she does not like it at all.....and any healthy treats I have found for her she turns her nose up at--imagine that.

Symptoms, hmmm. She has panted since she was little and I have always asked the vets about this she will just be setting around and start panting and this always concerned me, but it seemed to get more excessive in the last month or so and she increased her liquid intake, so I was thinking diabetic, cushings etc...as she put on weight, then she starting going pee in our bedroom, large volume and she has been potty trained since 11 weeks old. So I took her in and had the vet do blood work and a u/a and then two days later the ultrasound was done. She had complete blood work last year at her spay and it was all normal.

Again thank you all for your responses, she got more loving than ever this weekend, now no one will be able to stand her (she was spoiled before look out now :new_Eyecrazy: )

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thank you all for your responses. I do not have a name yet, they were having the radiologist look at the ultrasound so hopefully today, I will know more. Lady M I will let you know as soon as I get a name, from what they said it is the kidneys themselves that are allowing fluid out and not retaining it, so her urine is diluted.....the treats are the hardest our vet said we could take the wet and try to bake it into treats so I will have to try that. I will also check on the cookies on the kibble because right now she does not like it at all.....and any healthy treats I have found for her she turns her nose up at--imagine that.

Symptoms, hmmm. She has panted since she was little and I have always asked the vets about this she will just be setting around and start panting and this always concerned me, but it seemed to get more excessive in the last month or so and she increased her liquid intake, so I was thinking diabetic, cushings etc...as she put on weight, then she starting going pee in our bedroom, large volume and she has been potty trained since 11 weeks old. So I took her in and had the vet do blood work and a u/a and then two days later the ultrasound was done. She had complete blood work last year at her spay and it was all normal.

Again thank you all for your responses, she got more loving than ever this weekend, now no one will be able to stand her (she was spoiled before look out now :new_Eyecrazy: )
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112905
[/quote

My prays are with Josie and i hope now that you know the situation you can keep this under control, some of your symptoms you listed concern me about Maxi
because he pee's way to much and the panting i have brought maxi in a few times about its more a rapid heartbeat i had the ultra done for his heart and an xray and that came back fine but the peeing bothers me maxi was 2 last month
i think im going to bring him in again for a checkup
anyway stay strong and know that there are so many new medicines out for our babies these days that there is more support towards better health

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that Josie is not well, she is very lucky to have both you and your hubby to give her the loving care that she is sure to have

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Sorry to hear about Josie! Sounds like your vet is on top of things and with all of your love, hopefully she will live a long life. You can make treats out of the wet food. I did for Paris. Just spoon and flatten some out on a pan and cook at 350 for a few minutes. You will need to turn them over and cook a few minutes more. It took me a few times to finally get it right. It takes a little while to get the moisture out of the food. I will keep little Sophie in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
So sorry about Josie's problems. Frosty will be 14 in Feb., and has a bunch of problems now---but 2 is so young! He was put on Hill's K/D a couple of years ago and he loss a bunch of weight because he absolutely would not eat the canned or dry. I was all over the web looking for recipes and ways to get him to eat it. I did the baked canned stuff, and tried warming it and everything I could come up with--nothing worked! So you are really lucky if you can get her to eat it.

There are people who have come up with home cooked diets for dogs with kidney problems. Using more carbs like potatoes, peas, carrots, greenbeans, rice, etc. is part of it. After you get more detail on the diagnosis and know what you are dealing with start looking on the net for diets and help in keeping her healthy. There are some neat people here who are (or have in the past been) dealing with the same problems and can help you. Hopefully you have a good vet for kidney problems. A vet who specializes in Internal Medicine or who will be consulting with one for you.

I've ended up just reading all the labels on dog food and trying to keep the protein down. Canned food is usually a lot lower in protein than regular dried. Senior dry food has less protein. With Frosty just getting him to eat is more important than having him on K/D. He is also deaf for the last couple of years. That is a major problem in getting him to understand what is going on. He gets really stubborn about doing what we ask because he doesn't understand anymore. I've come up with some hand signs he understands--when he wants too :excl:

Hang in there and know there's lots of us who are taking care of these babies who have problems. We're here to help if we can or listen any time!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Josie's kidney disease. I know how devastating having your precious furbaby diagnosed with a chronic disease can be. I hope that it will be something that can be controlled by diet and Josie will have many more years ahead of her.

Let us know when you get the ultrasound results.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry for what you are going thru...I hope there are things you can do to keep her healthy as possible. I will be praying for you guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts