Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this issue has been bouncing around quite a bit recently and I'd like to take the time to address it

the MO bashing is getting out of hand, I have had more than a few members PM or email me that they have got a bad vibe because some were way to eager to jump in and bash them, and yes I have seen it, I dont think it is needed and there is not really a place here for, I am not asking for people to not voice their opinions but some of the comments have went over board, we have a chance here to have a great maltese website and our chance with that includes dismissing the negativity that surronds the banning of members at MO for whatever reason and take that chance to open up and welcome anyone here to have fun, post pics, links, etc and did I say have FUN

as we grow it will be harder and harder for me to police the threads, honestly i dont read alot of them, i Just dont have time and I count on you guys/girls to help me police yourself, soon I will be asking a few of you to join in and become a moderator and help me out around here

I want to say publicly that MO is a successful website, Jay has done a great job building his site and forums the way he wants them run, alot of peole get great info from there regardless of the experiences alot of pewople get from, good and bad, I say hats off to Jay, I want to run my site much different, it may be a succesful approach, it may not be, we'll see, but with the great group of people we have started with I can only see it getting better and I thank you for your help in that, creating negativity towards MO will only hurt us, you dont see it but I know it already has, and the negativity towards MO only brings more attention to them, I say we turn that around, bring the attention to ourselves and make this the place people want to be a part of and I know everyone here can help with that

comments are welcome but please try to understand where I am coming from

Thanks for your time in reading this...

Joe

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
We've been doing fine without having any moderators but you, Joe. None of us are like you! It's not going to be the same. I don't think we need to be watched over like little kids. I just don't like the idea. And if you pick the wrong person to moderate, I think that could cause a controversy too!

I just like it the way it was

If you want us to cool it on MO, I think we'll all be cool. But I have to say, that some people want to connect and some want vent because they can be so mean! And that's the cool thing about us...that we can support each other and make each other laugh. I liked the idea that we were able to discuss it because it shows that that type of additude is not acceptable!
I think some things got out of hand because sometimes people dont realize how mean their comments were or how offensive they can be. I think some people need to read what they're planning on posting before they post it. There are ways to convey your feelings to others without being so stinking rude! All arguements could have been so easily avoided if ppl had found a better way of stating things and still be able to get your msg out there. (not pointing fingers at anyone)

I'm just venting...I hate changes.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think some people need to read what they're planning on posting before they post it. There are ways to convey your feelings to others without being so stinking rude! All arguements could have been so easily avoided if ppl had found a better way of stating things and still be able to get your msg out there.[/B]
amen to that, its basically what I am trying to get across

I'm just venting...I hate changes.[/B]
I dont like changes myself but unfortuanately sometimes peoples behavour neccetates (sp) it , we are risk of losing a few good members already and I dont want to see that happen

I have to deal with this...

Currently online
101 (72 members and 29 guests)
Most users ever online was 349, 10-15-2004 at 02:13 PM.

on anotehr forum right now and if I didnt except change there, tht site wouldnt exist, and this one might not if we dont see the need for it early, my time doesnt allow me to fully run SM by myself and adding MODs would be to the benefit of the site, help move threads to the right place, show people how to use aspects of the site, help "moderate" out of control threads etc, SM wont change much because I have an idea of how it should be, basically how it is now, but I cant deny the fact that we will grow and are growing

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Dec 13 2004, 08:46 PM
I think some things got out of hand because sometimes people dont realize how mean their comments were or how offensive they can be.  I think some people need to read what they're planning on posting before they post it.  There are ways to convey your feelings to others without being so stinking rude!  All arguements could have been so easily avoided if ppl had found a better way of stating things and still be able to get your msg out there.  (not pointing fingers at anyone)

I'm just venting...I hate changes. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22865
[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of when my momma used to say..."It is not what you say, it is the way in which you say it".

I understand what you are saying Joe..I liked the way it was before too, but I understand... -_-

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Dec 13 2004, 08:46 PM
We've been doing fine without having any moderators but you, Joe.  None of us are like you!  It's not going to be the same.  I don't think we need to be watched over like little kids.  I just don't like the idea.  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22865
[/QUOTE]

and that wouldnt be the point of me adding MODs, I actually need help doing some of the behind the scenes stuff, I cant read every thread and alot of them get in the wrong forums, or a new member needs help posting a picture, etc, I dont ask MODs to help me on my forums to be a baby sitter, i dont think we need those

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Joe+Dec 13 2004, 09:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ButterCloudandNoriko
@Dec 13 2004, 08:46 PM
We've been doing fine without having any moderators but you, Joe.  None of us are like you!  It's not going to be the same.  I don't think we need to be watched over like little kids.  I just don't like the idea.  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22865
and that wouldnt be the point of me adding MODs, I actually need help doing some of the behind the scenes stuff, I cant read every thread and alot of them get in the wrong forums, or a new member needs help posting a picture, etc, I dont ask MODs to help me on my forums to be a baby sitter, i dont think we need those

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22876
[/B][/QUOTE]

Cool!

We love ya Joe!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
ok, i know theres a few people that know lots about pics and computers. but i can only think of ladymontava and lexismom. ....i forget who else has helped people
sorry you guys. if i find someone else....i'll post their name.
i think they'd be really helpful with SM

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and I just want to clarify something, I'm not defending anyone or any group or site or whatever, basicaly in my overworded statement I was trying to get at Sm doing their thing, MO doing theres, everyone being nice, kind and respectful to each other and new members and please know that because there is a difference in opinion amongst everyone that it doesnt need t escalate beyond a difference in opinion and oh yea, did I mention us having fun?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I love SM and I have seen it grow. I enjoy the fact that everything is so open. If we want to know where someone got their baby, we can ask. If we want to know what shampoos are good, we can ask.

MO is also a great resource. Yes, it is strict but sometimes that strictness does get some messages across. I believe some of the messages are not wrong.

We all have a choice of where we can post and how to conduct ourselves. I am not going to deny it. I post on both sites and many more mailing list. I don't hide my identity in either.

I believe I behave similiarily. I try to be respectful of all opinions and give my own as well. We are all here to learn.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by Joe@Dec 13 2004, 10:50 PM
and I just want to clarify something, I'm not defending anyone or any group or site or whatever, basicaly in my overworded statement I was trying to get at Sm doing their thing, MO doing theres, everyone being nice, kind and respectful to each other and new members and please know that because there is a difference in opinion amongst everyone that it doesnt need t escalate beyond a difference in opinion and oh yea, did I mention us having fun? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22914
[/QUOTE]

Are u this nice in real life too Joe??

u seem like a kind 6'1'' guy !! hahaha

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by mee+Dec 14 2004, 01:00 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Joe
@Dec 13 2004, 10:50 PM

Are u this nice in real life too Joe??

u seem like a kind 6'1'' guy !! hahaha

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22934
[/B][/QUOTE]
Joe-Well said Joe!

Mee- LOL :D

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Joe@Dec 13 2004, 08:16 PM
and take that chance to open up and welcome anyone here to have fun, post pics, links, etc and did I say have FUN 

Joe
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22851
[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Joe@Dec 13 2004, 10:50 PM
oh yea, did I mention us having fun? 

[/QUOTE]

So....let me get this straight....you want us to have fun..?RIGHT? LOL...J/K...I hear ya Joe..well said!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Thank you, Joe, for this thread. I was away from this forum for a few days and was so disturbed to read all the negative, nasty, personal attacks that had been posted while I was gone.

Many people don't realize that not only does mantaining this forum take a lot of Joe's time, it also costs money to maintain. I'm sure all of us want to see this investment in time and money pay off and watch spoiledmaltese.com continue to grow. It's upsetting that a few posters seem to resent new people discovering this great site and send out a "go back where you came from" message.

No matter where our new members come from, they deserve to be treated with respect. I think most of us originally started with Maltese Only so why should anyone pre-judge someone else who has (or continues to) post there?

I support the addition of moderators 100%, Joe. I have been involved with many other forums and, as you say, they are necessary just to maintain a popular forum. They are also on occasion necessary to intervene when a thread becomes mean spirited, personal and negative. Unfortunately, sometimes it does become necessary to close a thread,as Joe, did, or on a rare occasion, "ban" a poster who will not abide by the basic rules after being warned.

I urge everyone here to remember that posting here is a privilege, not a right. Out of respect for Joe and all his hard work to maintain this site, we all need exercise basic rules of common courtesy and respect for others when using this forum.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Dec 14 2004, 09:00 AM
It's upsetting that a few posters seem to resent new people discovering this great site and send out a "go back where you came from" message.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22952
[/QUOTE]

As always, Marj, you eloquently expressed what a lot of us are feeling. Thank you!

There is a coterie on SM that talks of freedom of speech, yet one cannot help but infer from some of the recent posts that "freedom" only applies if they approve of what is being said.

When a new member joins, there is always a big "Welcome to SM". Let's make sure that these are not hollow words . . .

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by Joe+Dec 13 2004, 09:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ButterCloudandNoriko
@Dec 13 2004, 08:46 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22876
[/B][/QUOTE]

Joe

You shouldnt have to read every thread , you have done such a great job with this site and i and alot of the members appreciate all the hard work and caring that went into this site
i hope this all gets resolved and we can continue to share stories and have fun
all this recent bickering has been really uncalled for and i think some came on here to cause controversy so i for one will try and stay away from some of the people i feel are doing this to ruin the site i suggest we be our own moderators and use our common sense to know who is real and who is just stirring up the pot if we do that we all should be fine
again Joe thank you

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Joe, how about adding a new section right at the very top stating the forum rules? Most other forums have them. Here is a sample from the Pets with Diabetes forum I belong to, which is a moderated forum that works very well. Most of the time there is very little interference, but occasionally when the the posts get too personal or an individual tries to create friction, the moderators step in and take charge.

General Community Rules

This community is for open, respectful discussion of issues relating to diabetes in pets.
Discussion about different opinions and management techniques is encouraged, but rudeness or personal attacks are not allowed.

There are moderators for the community.
Please follow their instructions for keeping the discussions productive and in the appropriate forum.

Users who refuse to follow the rules will not be allowed to post messages.

I have been reading the old news and announcements here and it seems that negative posts are not a new problem to spoiledmaltese.com. Unfortunately, a few individuals can ruin it for everyone else. Obviously, we have proven that we can't moderate ourselves as some have suggested and I applaud Joe's decision to enlist the aid of moderators to keep this forum user friendly to everyone who visits here.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.