Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are new here and wanted to give a bit of background on my Missy . She is a little trooper!!
Missy has had several health issues.. going back several years to having had surgeries on both knees... came thru the operations fine and with little 'complaint' on her part.
When she turned 7 years old.. she was dx with diabetes. We had allowed her to get overweight ( indulging her with anything she wanted..."killing" her with kindness") She was immediately started on a special diet for diabetes, and gets insulin injections 2 x day. She is such a good little girl about this giving me no problems , and in fact will often run to the "procedure-area" ( my office) before I even get there. (Of course the 'reward-treat" has MUCH to do with thtis , I have no doubt! LOL) So, she has been doing well with regulation for about 2 and 1/2 years now.
Then in October of 2003 we discovered she had bladder cancer. A very formidable type cancer and prognosis is normally not too good.( 90-120 days a common prognosis from dx) It's location did allow for a portion of her bladder to be removed to take the tumor and surrounding "safety" area. Again she recovered very quickly, her little bladder started retaining normal amount in no time.. and she was her happy "demanding" little self. No chemo follow-up as with the diabetes was not an option. Just a NSAID called Piroxicam which has been found to slow this type tumor growth. She is so small we have to have it specially compounded for her.
We did a check-up sonogram in 5 months and found there was no sign of recurrence. her vet suggested I buy the multi-test urine 'dip-sticks" to watch fro blood, infection etc.from the time of her initial dx.
In June of this year.. blood was discovered..another sonogram.. and sadly, the cancer returned. This time surgery was not an option.. it was not in her best interest for "quality" living.
In July she went racing off the back steps ( low rise, and only three and the only ones we allowed her to do on her own.). She was walking strangely but didn't seem in pain, but a trip to the vet and x-rays.. showed disc injury.. and she ended up with partial paralysis in her right hind leg.... thus the "bike" as we call it that you see her on i her photo.
Thankfully the bike was great therapy and she now can get around the house very well albeit a bit of a swagger sometimes, but does very very well!! we continue to use the bike for long walks and 'therapy' to keep her from further damaging her back.
Last week.. we found there was again blood in the urine.. there was no sign of infection though caught very early thanks to the test strips..it is not clear if this is due to a 'garden-variety UTI, or if tumor related. it has been on again /of-again which tends to lean toward the tumor 'acting-up". However as of the moment we have gone 36 hours with no blood showing up.. so hoping things have settled down.
Meanwhile my little brave girl acts perfectly happy and "normal" whatever is going on apparently is causing her no distress... and her appetite is wonderful !
She has amazed everyone with her tenacity and zest for life thru all her trials.
As you can see.. I am very, very proud of her!!!
So, that's my little Missy's 'story" of her health problems...
Would appreciate a prayer that she will continue feeling good and we can have some more quality time ahead!
Thanks!
Missysmom

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
wow, she's been through a lot. i dont know how you deal with it. she's lucky to have a mom like you. but you made a really good point about the diabetes and stuff. and im glad you mentioned that. i know that i've given our dogs table scraps sometimes. so all the things that have happened to her is because of the diabetes and being overweight?

i hope you enjoy this site.
cathy

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Oct 20 2004, 09:42 AM
wow, she's been through a lot.  i dont know how you deal with it.  she's lucky to have a mom like you.  but you made a really good point about the diabetes and stuff.  and im glad you mentioned that.  i know that i've given our dogs table scraps sometimes.  so all the things that have happened to her is because of the diabetes and being overweight?

i hope you enjoy this site.
cathy

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12631
[/QUOTE]

Hi "I'm not a vet yet-Cathy".. ( remember your posts! LOL)
No, all Missy's problems are not related to diabetes.
It is likely the diabetes came from the being overweight...fed all the wrong stuff..simply because 'she wanted it"! the number one cause of canine diabetes after genitic pre-disposition.. is being overweight. Whether 'genetics' is involved in her case is unkown..though Maltese is NOT on the 'breed-list". We got her from a family who had mama and papa.. both above the standard but papa was more oversized.. I wasn't thinking at the time.. but I'd dare say mama and papa were pet-store pups.. and we all know what that means..it could well be the genetics for the diabetes were simply "there" ... and triggered by the excess weight or may simply been the excess weight alone.
Then knees.. well not all that uncommon in these small breeds, though Missy was never much of a jumper. i'm sure the excess weight was not a help for them either.
Missy's cancer... I am pretty convinced ti was brought on by the ivermectin injections she needed for wo TERRIBLE!! bouts with sarcoptic mange... both in the same year. Researchers state this particular cancer is related to insecticides, herbacides, and pesticides. Newer reserach I have read is looking into seeing if there is a correlation to the use of the topicals used in preventive care. There has been a slight in this type of cancer over the last 10-12 years. However i must add this particular cancer is a ver low percentage of any of the canine cancers.. making up only about 1-2% od canine cancers. I think in Missy's case though we had little choice and, of course, no way to really tell... but i think having used the topicals.. the heartworm preventive ( Ivermectin) then having to deal with the sarcoptic mite. it simply was TOO MUCH! for her little body to deal with.
I also have to state.. it is a very hard call.. the diseases these preventives are used for are to be taken seriously too and can be devestating in themselves.. so sort of puts one betwen a 'rock" and a "hard-place".
Missy's back and her dics problem. It appears she has had some problems for some time.. just the 'right-discs.. at the wrong" time was injured when she took the 'flying run' off those few steps... causin the problem to be obvious and causing the partial paralysis. From the x-rays I saw... it doesn't seem that all ( 4 of them injured.. one totally 'blown" a second almost as bad ..plus 2 others not in great shape either. ) they are positioned at a distance from one another.. with good ones in between.
I forgot to add in her helath 'bio' she also has the early stage of 'dry-eye". I was told to flush several times a day with Artificial Tears.. which i did for some time and still do for 'cleansing', however someone on another board suggested I use GENTEAL eye gel for lubricating. I do that at least 2 x day and her eyes have done very well with it. it seemd to keep the lubrication longer. This formula i use is for the "severe dry eye" in humans. they have other formulas but the others are liquid.. the "severe' is the only one in gel form.
Also forgot to add... ( Missy has a litany of health "issues"..) Missy also has heart murmur. It was discovered at the time of her diabetes dx but was only very slight.
When she hsd her first sonogram regarding her bladder problem, her vat said she'd like to... while 'we are at it' to take a look at her heart. At that time she did notice a bit of problem starting so wanted to put her on a low dose of enalapril 9 1/2 of a 2.5 mg tab... so 1.25 mgs per day. A recent check showed her little heart was doing well!
I hope all of this will somehow be helpful to others if ever faced with any of this.
I firmly believe in NOT taking a wait and see position.. I believe becaus her vet has taken a "cut to the chase" position .. Missy is still with us and doing so well in spite of it all.
Terry and Missy

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Her story brings tears to my eyes...what a trooper you all have been...many would not have stood by her like you have! I commend you!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Missy's story is so inspiring. The tenacity that she maintains throughout is simply incredible. I also admire your strength in dealing with all these issues, especially with a clear head. If it were me in your position, trying to deal with Rocco's problems all at once, I have a feeling I would just break down and cry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Missy. Hugs and licks from Rocco to Missy!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww, poor baby. Warm welcomes to the both of you. She's so lucky to have a mommy like you. I wonder if there's any type of calicium/vitamin we can give to them since they have luxating patella. I dont know. But, we're definitely glad you're here.

ButterCloud and Noriko give much XOXOXOXXO's to you and Missy

·
Registered
939 Posts
What more can be said? Welcome to you and Missy! You have both been through so much, she is a brave little one and you... God bless you for your love and determination! Please be sure to post often on how you are both doing!

Judi

·
Registered
831 Posts
I am so glad that Missy still doing very well. Missy is very fortunate to have a mom likeyou.
I will keep you and Missy in my prayers.

Maya and Daezie send XOXOXO to Missy.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just posted to the welcome post to see how Missy was doing with everything, she is so amazing, and I know what you mean about giving them stuff just because they want it, I have to really make myself not do that, aghh but those eyes and the begging hands, are soooo hard to resist, but you have given me the encouragement to do it, knowing it is in their best interest. I am so glad to hear Missy is still being her usual trooper self.. Look forward to more Missy stories. You are a very special mom, and I will keep you both in my prayers....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
its totally horrible the situation that missy is in.
i'm glad she's doing a lot better. i'm soo scared whenever i find something wrong with our dogs. like we found a lump on ellie's neck a few days ago....but i totally know that the vets going to do zip about it. or how gruffi is losing a little bit of hair on his face. we're going to change their diet a little bit and maybe look into having a holistic vet. what kind of food does missy eat? i'm sorta leaning into being a nutritional vet(if there's such a thing. lol). i'm glad to see you're on this site though.
:D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Oct 20 2004, 01:55 PM
we're going to change their diet a little bit and maybe look into having a holistic vet.    
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12683
[/QUOTE]

HI Dr.Cathy,

i got this info from my dogtrainer

American Holsitic Vet Medical Association

i just thought i'd like to share it with you since ur interested in holistic vets..

i thought everybody else who is interested could SEARCH a holistic vet in ur area coz there is a Referral Directory and can search holistic vets by state too

Dr.Cathy, also i guess West Hollywood is too far from you but this is the new vet i chose

TLC vet

they first opened in West hollywood and then opened another one in Pasadena
but the West hollywood one is the official vet for the LAPD canines..i read the article in a frame at the vet ..

ok~ byeee~ :lol:

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Bless Missy's heart and yours! I hope you will keep us updated about her condition and I hope that her quality of life will continue to be good for a long, long time.
Susan

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi Missymom,
I remember you and Missy from another board (posted as Oliversmom)---I stopped posting and reading after Oliver died--it hurt too much. But I am so glad that in all Missy is still doing well and enjoying life. I am praying that the two of you have a long time together still.
Quincymom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts