Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunny was neutered Wed., this is Sunday. He is acting like the 1 stitch that he has is driving him nuts! He licks and chews at it constantly. He will be laying quietly and suddenly jerk and start to lick and chew. Is it too soon to take out that one stitch? I feel so bad for him. There is also a large swelling at the incision site that looks like 2 little nuts. That can't be, though, right? I don't know what that could be. I noticed it before and it seems to disappear. Could it be a hernia???? Why do these things always happen when the vet isn't in?

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Right now our foster, Cola, is also recovering from his neuter. I have a Onesie on him so he can't lick his incision. If there is swelling I would call the Vet in the morning. Cola's is not swollen, some redness. His is glued and no stitches but bothers him anyway.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You need to put an elizabethan collar on your dog or do something to prevent licking.
At this point sometimes the sutures feel like they are pulling and the incision can be itchy. Some swelling can be normal...if your dog is an adult that was neutered the sacs will take time to shrink up. If it is red and has more swelling you need to see your vet.
Again, you MUST stop your dog from licking.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
whoops, I was just going to say you need to stop him from licking. But I see it's already been said. Now it could be infected, hope not....

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oh no! Yes, agree with others try to get him to stop licking. That is so much easier said than done. I left Romo alone with my husband one day and that day Romo took out all 3 stitches by himself! He had been neutered on a wednesday by Saturday evening his stitches were out. Monday morning the vet said his incision site was luckily healing lovely so we didn't treat it. Infection is the thing to worry about. Romo was already on antibiotics for his teeth tho. Today his incision site looks really nice, like he never had stitches.

I had 3 stitches just very recently and I will attest that those stitches itch like crazy! I could barely take it for 7 days let a long a poor doggie. I feel for him.
Good luck and hope it all turns out well. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I knew how to get a photo on here as the swelling is like 2 small grapes and seem to be hard - like he has 2 extra "nuts". He isn't eating as normal but really seems ok, just not his usual active self. I will get him to the vet today and let you all know what those extra "nuts" are. The incision looks good - no infection but the licking has caused little scabs. I know the trauma of stitches and as my daughter said, "well, at least the stitches are in a place he can lick'.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we went to the vet. Everything is all right. No infection. The little nuts are normal anatomy!:blink: Who knew. They insisted that I put a E collar on him and since it was only $8 I went for it. They would not take out the stitches -- too early. I made him some of his gool old favorite dog food today and he ate very good and is now napping after the very stressful morning at the vet office. There was a fine little lady (maltese) there that saw him with his collar on and he was embarrased. We scolded her and told her not to laugh but she did anyway. She was 10 yrs old so at her doggie age, I guess she can laugh at whatever she wants.:chili:

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Glad everything is ok with Sunny. Email me the pictures Sandy and I will post them for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts