Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken from the Houston Chronicle :

"Dear Dr. Fox :
Regarding your advice on onions and garlic for dogs (garlic and yeast for pests) :
My mixed-breed dog became incontinent about the age of four years. She had always eaten primarily dog food, but owning an Italian restaurant, we somehow began giving her a meatball twice a week. When she became incontinent the vet gave her medication. After a couple of days on the pills I looked into the dog's eyes and said, "This doesn't look right." So I took her off the pills and decided I was doomed to a life of rubber sheets and bottles of enzyme cleaners.
Then I read an article in Prevention magazine about onions affecting a dog's kidneys and being poisonous to dogs. I immediately stopped the meatball snacks, and the problem got better within a few days. However, she still bit her back in the area where I assume her kidneys are located.
Finally, it dawned on me that onions are lilies; and garlic is also a lily. So I began reading her dog food package labels and found that garlic was a "flavoring" (and that some foods, such as Pedigree, have onion). I eliminated that source of lily and the problem completely cleared! Now we have no problem with incontinence. Perhaps there are dogs being treated with medication when a diet change would do the trick.
Also, some dog foods contain dried egg products. My dog is also sensitive to egg. It can cause stomach discomfort, excess "growling" of the stomach and even vomiting."

Answer :

I always appreciate letters from readers who, like you, have put their minds to work and conducted a sound, clinical investigation that did not put their animals at risk and, through the power of reason, found a way to make their animals well.
You are right - your dog was hypersensitive to onions and garlic, and other dogs may have this problem, too. Some breeds may be especially harmed. Onions can aggravate high cholesterol levels in dogs with hypothyroid disease and cause anemia. Onions are not for dogs, but most dogs tolerate a little garlic and eggs (although one of mine is hypersensitive to eggs).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
awesome article. it explains the "why are onions bad" in small words. sometimes, when reading articles about canine health, i give up reading because it's very jargon-filled and i dont have the attention span to look up new words LOL. if only i could be as vet-school disciplined as lady montava (who is going to school this semester to kick butt and take names <and numbers, for the single girls here>!!!!!)....

ann marie and the "longest word my mommy uses" buttercup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
Yep this is realy good info. Makes you wonder why they would put these in our furbies food. Ok it adds some flavor,but I would rather my puppy be healtey then get sick from something that just taste good. I have seen a lot of treats and food with garlic and onions in it. I don't get it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey@Aug 27 2005, 11:13 PM
Yep this is realy good info.  Makes you wonder why they would put these in our furbies food.  Ok it adds some flavor,but I would rather my puppy be healtey then get sick from something that just taste good.  I have seen a lot of treats and food with garlic and onions in it.  I don't get it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94580
[/QUOTE]

I've also seen food with "whole apples" in it and I've heard that apple seeds are not good for dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Aug 27 2005, 10:15 PM
I've also seen food with "whole apples" in it and I've heard that apple seeds are not good for dogs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94581
[/QUOTE]

duh, silly! it's because eating apple seeds will cause an apple tree to grow in your stomach!

at least that's what my mom always told me...

ann marie and the "of all stupid times to listen to your mother. it's really because they grow in your LIVER...get it RIGHT!" buttercup
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by TheButtercup+Aug 27 2005, 11:31 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Aug 27 2005, 10:15 PM
I've also seen food with "whole apples" in it and I've heard that apple seeds are not good for dogs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94581
duh, silly! it's because eating apple seeds will cause an apple tree to grow in your stomach!

at least that's what my mom always told me...

ann marie and the "of all stupid times to listen to your mother. it's really because they grow in your LIVER...get it RIGHT!" buttercup
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94591
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yep and I remember thinking watermelon seeds would do that, too!!


Here is the info on apple seeds and the link has good info on other stuff bad for our babies, too: CBS News - Pet Poisons

APPLE SEEDS:
Apple seeds are in the same category as other fruits like apples, cherries, peaches and apricots. The stems, leaves and seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides, and depending on the dose, you will see not only the common gastrointestinal effects but weakness in coordination and difficulty breathing. In some extreme cases, animals can go into shock or coma and can even result in death. The toxic ingredients are contained in the center of the seeds, so be sure keep your pet from chewing or crushing the seeds with their teeth. Another interesting thing to point out is that the level of toxicity can depend on growing conditions. If it's a stressful growing environment for an apple tree, the level of toxicity may be less than if the tree was growing in a healthy environment. This makes it difficult to gauge how much is a dangerous level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,863 Posts
did you see that animal precinct (or was it animal cops) where they go to rescue a dog and it had been eating the peaches that had fallen from the peach tree and was drinking the dirty water from the pool?? and the dog had major diahrea and stuff.

anyway....apple seeds made me think of how the animal cop found the peach pits in the dogs poo


and thanks maltesejane for posting this. next time someone says that they give their dogs garlic to repel fleas
i'll post this link.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top