Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My little boy Ace, aka (ain’t nothing sweet about me)Has developed a few peculiar habits. Has anyone experienced similar behavioral changes with their Maltese?

We moved from California to Arlington Virginia two years ago. Everything was fine the first year, however recently my little boy does not want to go for walks! We live in an area that has a more street activity (sirens, trucks backing up with a high pitch alert late at night) than where we lived in Northern California. I started carrying him to a quiet area, however after doing his duty, he immediately pulls to walk in the direction of home or stops completely until we start back in the direction of home.
Ace s highly trained and showed at one point. He responds appropriately to commands without any problem. I would be interested in knowing if stubbornness is common behavior with Maltese or could be a sign of a different underlying issue? I’ve taken him into the vet several times just to make sure there’s nothing going on and he’s in perfect health.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all,
My little boy Ace, aka (ain’t nothing sweet about me)Has developed a few peculiar habits. Has anyone experienced similar behavioral changes with their Maltese?

We moved from California to Arlington Virginia two years ago. Everything was fine the first year, however recently my little boy does not want to go for walks! We live in an area that has a more street activity (sirens, trucks backing up with a high pitch alert late at night) than where we lived in Northern California. I started carrying him to a quiet area, however after doing his duty, he immediately pulls to walk in the direction of home or stops completely until we start back in the direction of home.
Ace s highly trained and showed at one point. He responds appropriately to commands without any problem. I would be interested in knowing if stubbornness is common behavior with Maltese or could be a sign of a different underlying issue? I’ve taken him into the vet several times just to make sure there’s nothing going on and he’s in perfect health.
My previous Maltese Cupcake was a bit stubborn most of the time yet obedient at the same time if that makes sense, I believe that is just one of the Maltese characteristics that’s just not commonly talked about in my opinion. Cupcake had a strong dislike of cars on the road and streets while she was walking so she would refuse to walk in any noisy environments created by the sound of vehicles. Have you tried taking him for a walk at a park? or community center where their is side walks? My cupcake enjoyed walking at those places the most. Im located In Southern California so places like such are very accessible and commonly used to walk dogs of any size, I’m not sure if that’s common in Virginia.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
I have one that has been putting the breaks on at the end of my driveway. She used to lead the pack but no more. Then my dog walker said she’s been reluctant to walk for her, too. Once she realizes she heading home she’ll pick up the pace again because she knows she’ll get a treat back home.
I do think they can be very stubborn. In my case, I carried my fluff a few times and I unleashed a beast in her. Now she expects it.
To their defense in this picture, it was raining out but it’s the one in the red who is my problem child.
69651794-2835-4C4A-AB0C-7A3E5E5F488E.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Malteses do not need to be walked.
While our little ones don't require the same amount of exercise as bigger dogs, meaning they may not need daily long walks, they do need the opportunity to get exercise, burn off energy, and play, for their physical and mental well-being. Exercise, whether it is a walk outside or playing with balls and toys inside, stimulates them mentally and can help prevent stress and anxiety-related behaviors.

If your little one doesn't want to go outside, check the environment for what might be frightening to your pup. Find a trainer who can show you the proper way to leash train your pup so that they aren't scared of the leash and can walk confidently without pulling or refusing to walk.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Hi all,

I'm not a trainer but wondered if your pup's tail is down when she's looking to go home.

Molly, my Maltese, who passed away 3 years ago, loved walking. Was more than willing to take a leisurely 3 mile walk with me. We live in a very quiet area with just the sound of the ocean and birds making background noise. However, for a couple of weeks, she wouldn't go more than a block from our house before "pulling" me back home with her tail down the whole time. Later learned that a mountain lion had been spotted in the park that is about 4 blocks from us. That was where we normally walked. Eventually, the mountain lion wasn't spotted anymore and guess she knew it was safe as she would once again go for walks. So I think fear made her refuse the usual walk.

Whisper, pictured in the icon here, didn't like visiting NYC. He'd go a few steps with his tail down and then stop and look at me. I'd put his purse/carrier on the sidewalk and he'd jump right in. He was much happier being carried. Think he didn't like city noises and felt safer in the carrier. Only a guess as he couldn't tell me. :)

They both had different reasons for not wanting to take their usual walk and their usual jaunty tails weren't showing happiness. Maybe there is something outside that now worries your dog. Only a guess...

Lainie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts