Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of this medication or have you used it for your furbabies in the past.

I got a call tonight from one of my girlfriends, who will be traveling soon (flying) and her vet perscribed Acetromzaine 1mg. Her vet said it is to sedate her, buy my girlfirend is really leary about giving it to her furbaby.

If anyone knows of this medicine, I would be so grateful and pass on to my girlfriend.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Is it Ace Promazine?

I gave it to my Bichon once. It makes them very sleepy. It's like a human tranq - Valium or Xanax.

I don't think they recommend it for dogs who will be flying in the cargo hold. Is your friend taking her dog on the plane as carryon?

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
It's the drug that is commonly referred to as "Ace". It's used to calm fluffs. I know some people that have used it at dog shows with young show pups that get anxious. Plus it's what Vets usually prescribe for other anxiety related issues.

I would NOT give it to my fluff if she/he was going in the cabin with me. But I don't like to sedate any of my dogs. And I definitely wouldn't sedate if they were going in cargo as way to much could happen without anyone there to know about it.

If she's worried that her fluff will need calming during the flight, advise her to take Baby Benadryl with her and give a little to the fluff if needed. It will make the fluff sleepy but it isn't nearly as big of a sedative as Ace is.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it Ace Promazine?

I gave it to my Bichon once. It makes them very sleepy. It's like a human tranq - Valium or Xanax.

I don't think they recommend it for dogs who will be flying in the cargo hold. Is your friend taking her dog on the plane as carryon?
Thanks, she will be flying with her dog, on her lap, I guess in her little bag. The last time she flew, the little one did get anxious :(

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It is really not ideal to sedate any dog when flying.

If she is going to use it, she needs to give a dose at home to see how the dog reacts.

Personally, its not a drug I'd give my own Maltese.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info everyone. I will be sure and pass it on. I am really glad she called. She is a really great Mommy. She had serious reservations, that's why she called to see if I could ask all of you. Thank you as always for being there.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
She could use a much lighter calmer "Rescue Remedy" that she can get at a health food store. It is just calming herbs and helps take the edge off. I wouldnt use Ace. :w00t:

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Great info everyone. I will be sure and pass it on. I am really glad she called. She is a really great Mommy. She had serious reservations, that's why she called to see if I could ask all of you. Thank you as always for being there.
Get her to join! Then she ask us anything at anytime. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts