Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting the impression from Tunny he doesn't want to share me. I don't know if it was the howling for 4 hours last night in cadence w/ her yipping. The poop on the floor that I stepped in ( he has NEVER had an accident) this morning, or the fact he won't look at me or come near me. He hasn't eaten since I brought her home. He is in a royal snit.

How long should this adjustment take on his part? I am really thinking about finding her a good home just to pacifiy him. My old admin lost her husband a few months ago she is a retiree and home all day alone now. I was thinking I may offer Loca to her after I make sure she has a clean bill of health. She is on a fixed income now so I will pay for the testing and her shots. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
How old is Tunny? My beloved vet up in New York had a "rule" that if you were going to get another dog, to do it before the older one was 5 or 6 years old. He said the adjustment is just too hard for the older dog and not fair.

In your case, Tunny is so new to your family, he is still adjusting, too. I know he came from a wonderful background, but being re-homed is very stressful for a dog. I'm sure he hasn't even figured out his place in your "pack" yet, so it's very confusing for him to now have Loca to contend with. You already have two other dogs, don't you?

I'd suggest maybe you call Tammy and "confess" :D what you did and get her imput. She knows Tunny better than anyone and will probably be able to give you the best advice for your situation.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by LadysMom@May 2 2005, 08:46 AM
How old is Tunny? My beloved vet up in New York had a "rule" that if you were going to get another dog, to do it before the older one was 5 or 6 years old. He said the adjustment is just too hard for the older dog and not fair.

In your case, Tunny is so new to your family, he is still adjusting, too. I know he came from a wonderful background, but being re-homed is very stressful for a dog. I'm sure he hasn't even figured out his place in your "pack" yet, so it's very confusing for him to now have Loca to contend with. You already have two other dogs, don't you?

I'd suggest maybe you call Tammy and "confess"  :D what you did and get her imput. She knows Tunny better than anyone and will probably be able to give you the best advice for your situation.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58868
[/QUOTE]

I already confessed to Tammy. She didn't think Tunny would have a problem with it at all and is amazed that he does. Tunder is used to living w/ many other dogs and I think he has gotten used to being the one and only as Ranger does not do much anymore, it is hard for Ranger to move on hardwood and tile so he stays in the basement by choice w/my son. I only have Ranger our lab who is in Renal failure and severe arthritis so he doesn't do much. Tunder will be 5 on the 24th of this month.

I am pretty much convinced that if Margie (my old admin asst) would like her I would love for her to go there. I am not sure how to go about proposing this to Margie she just lost her husband who she has taken care of for the past 2 years as he died of cancer and is lonely now. Margie is only 62 so age isn't a factor but I don't want to call her up and say" I know your loney and have no one so how about this puppy". What is the kindest way to phrase this? I truelly think this is what was supposed to happen. Yes I believe in fate.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
It is probably way too early for you to give up on Tunder accepting the new puppy. When Sadie came it took Jolie about a month. Of course Jolie was nearly 10. When Sassy came it took Sadie about 4 hours, but then they were littermates and were both only 6 months. Give it a week before you get too freaked out.

Meanwhile, if you do decide that you need to find her a home, then maybe you could kind of commisserate with the friend - "Woe is me! I've just GOT to find a good home for this sweet, loving, adorable little girl....blah blah...she can't really be in a home with children...had health testing....blah blah." Maybe during that time she'll offer. If not, then you'll have to just bring it up - "Marge, any chance that you'd would be able to help us out?" Or better yet, start taking the puppy over there and do that for a few weeks and then spring it on her.

Perhaps in that time Tunder will decide that he is OK with the situation. It is kind of surprising since he's always been around other dogs. You'd think that he would have been lonely!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Maybe you can make her think she's doing you a favor by adopting this puppy. Explain the situation, that Tunny dosen't have room in his new life as an international playboy for a little girl hanging around, and that you are trying to find her a wonderful loving home and thought of her. Hopefully, she'll offer. This might be just what she needs to cope with the loss of her husband.

Just a note of caution, though. You don't want to add to her heartbreak. Pet shop puppies can carry so many genetic timebombs that are not apparent during those first vet visits or even for a couple of years. As you know, my Lady was a rescue, but she was originally from the local Petland. She was perfectly healthy until age 4&1/2, then she developed epilepsy and a grade 1 heart murmur. A year & 1/2 later she was diagnosed with diabetes. Allergies and inflamatory arthritis followed after that. I have spent, and continue to spend, a small fortune on her. Since this little girl is expected to only be around 2 pounds full grown, that puts her even more at risk for other health problems. If this woman is on a fixed income, that would be a problem.

Are you going to get the bile acids test done? Since her small size puts her at a higher risk for liver disease, that would be an essential test no matter who ends up with her.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by LadysMom@May 2 2005, 10:06 AM
Maybe you can make her think she's doing you a favor by adopting this puppy. Explain the situation, that Tunny's doen't have room in his new life as an international playboy for a little girl hanging around, and that you are trying to find her a wonderful loving home and thought of her. Hopefully, she'll offer. This might be just what she needs to cope with the loss of her husband.

Just a note of caution, though. You don't want to add to her heartbreak. Pet shop puppies can carry so many genetic timebombs that are not apparent during those first vet visits or even for a couple of years. As you know, my Lady was a rescue, but she was originally from the local Petland. She was perfectly healthy until age 4&1/2, then she developed epilepsy and a grade 1 heart murmur. A year & 1/2 later she was diagnosed with diabetes. Allergies and inflamatory arthritis followed after that. I have spent, and continue to spend, a small fortune on her. Since this little girl is expected to only be around 2 pounds full grown, that puts her even more at risk for other health problems.  If this woman is on a fixed income, that would be a problem.

Are you going to get the bile acids test done? Since her small size puts her at a higher risk for liver disease, that would be an essential test no matter who ends up with her.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58892
[/QUOTE]

Yep already called the vet and requested that they be done tomorrow as well. I think this would be just the thing for Margie. She is the sweetest woman and loves doting on things. I have been sitting here thinking about it and you know this may be my good deed for the year. Save a puppy and help Margie. I spoke w/ my husband and he said he didn't mind being the puppy benefactor for lack of a better word. As long as she gets a clean bill of health i am going to offer her to Margie w/ the condition that if medicial problems arise we will either pay for them or if she is being stubborn contribute to the medical fund.

I have had Tunny over to see Margie and she just adored him. And just to slightly explain. Right after I got my MBA I got a HUGE promotion. Well there I was a young female exec. put right smack in the middle of the "old boys club", Margie was my admin plus more. She save me so many times and helped me negotiate within this new group. Anyone in a corporate enviorment knows the secratary/admins are the ones truelly running the show. She is a very special person to me and I have kept in contact with her ever since she retired to care for her husband. She was like my guardian back then, kept me from being eaten alive while I learned the ropes.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
That sounds like a fabulous solution. Tunny will be able to maintain his single, man-about-town reputation and little Loca will hopefully soothe the heart of this dear friend. Since you will remain her "godmother" and benefactor, that makes worrywart me feel a whole lot better about placing her with Marge.

I'm glad you'll be getting her bile acids test done. Who knows, she may surprise everyone and end up getting much bigger than 2 pounds with good food and care. Did you vet check her for worms? That can really stunt their growth in the beginning.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Oh, I do feel for you 'cause I know what you're probably going through!
Abbey had a very tough time adjusting! She cried and howled every night we put her in her crate. But after 2 months of having her she seems to finally understand that things are the way they are going to be! Don't get me wrong she still tries to fuss but she does settle down after about 10 minutes and she's up at 6:00 am as soon as she hears our feet hit the floor! So, it will probably work itself out. I always live by "And this too shall pass!"

If you do offer her to your friend, make sure she has the time for this little one. I think that has been the most life changing thing for us. I never want to leave Abbey to go anywhere anymore, and if I do I worry about her.

Best of Luck to whatever you decide. I'm sure if you give it a try and it doesn't end up working you won't have any trouble finding a home for Loca!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by LadysMom@May 2 2005, 10:44 AM
That sounds like a fabulous solution. Tunny will be able to maintain his single, man-about-town reputation and little Loca will hopefully soothe the heart of this dear friend. Since you will remain her "godmother" and benefactor, that makes worrywart me feel a whole lot better about placing her with Marge.

I'm glad you'll be getting her bile acids test done. Who knows, she may surprise everyone and end up getting much bigger than 2 pounds with good food and care. Did you vet check her for worms? That can really stunt their growth in the beginning.

Keep us posted!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58909
[/QUOTE]

She had coccidia if I spelled that right. The vet said it is more of a single cell organism than a worm. So she got treated for that other than that her stool was clean. And yes I treated both Tunny and Ranger to be on the safe side.

I think this might be the perfect solution. Because as much as I wanted to save her I don't know that we are the right family for a puppy right now. I know I could get reemed for this but I am ok with that. I really want my quiet puppy free life back. I love that she is safe now and going to be ok but what I wouldn't give for a quiet night with both my perfectly well mannered dogs lounging around without the lil puff ball driving us all mad. Of course if Margie doesn't work out then I will take responisblility and keep her forever, and love her hyper active butt to death.

I was sooo tired this morning I washed my hair with shampoo three times trying to condition it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just wanted to say that I think this is a really nice thing that you are doing. I don't know many people who would spend $2200 for a dog...pet store or not...and for you to offer to give this puppy to your coworker just shows what a kind and caring person you are. It is nice to know that there are people like you out there in the world...you definitely made my Monday.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
:D I second what Pippinsmom said! and I think approaching your friend like Lady's Mom said, i.e. "I've gotten myself into a situation, and sure could use your help", maybe even asking her to "foster" Loca at first until she falls in love with her! then "how would you like to have her for your own, but we'll take care of any medical bills because you are doing us a favor".......... Sounds perfect for everyone! You saved Loca and gave your friend someone to love and care for. How perfect is that!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I think this might be the perfect solution. Because as much as I wanted to save her I don't know that we are the right family for a puppy right now. I know I could get reemed for this but I am ok with that. I really want my quiet puppy free life back. I love that she is safe now and going to be ok but what I wouldn't give for a quiet night with both my perfectly well mannered dogs lounging around without the lil puff ball driving us all mad. Of course if Margie doesn't work out then I will take responisblility and keep her forever, and love her hyper active butt to death.

I don't think you will be reemed for that! It's perfectly honest and exactly the reasons you gave us a few weeks ago for adopting Tundar rather than getting a puppy. You just got suckered in by her little face!

That is exactly why I won't go in pet stores. Heck, I can't even go to the SPCA. I went to Animal Control a few years back with a co-worker to take all our aluminum cans for the "Paws to Recycle" fund raiser they were having. We swore we wouldn't go in, but of course we did.

That when I saw Sarah, the freaked out cross eyed blue point Siamese with only a stump of a tail. Our eyes met (as well as her crossed eyes could!) and that was it. Of course, they do require a 24 hour "cooling off" period, which I would have done anyway as I wanted to think it over carefully, but I did have them put a sign on her cage to hold her. 3 days later I picked her up and I have never regretted that decision for an instant. She is my soulmate, sleeps on my pillow in my arms every night.

BTW, coccidia might explain her size and puny state. My Petie had that when I adopted him from the SPCA years ago and my vet thought he would be no bigger than about 20 pounds. He was very sick for months (distemper, then pneumonia), but when he finally got healthy, he grew and grew to be 35 pounds!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I am hopeful that with some good food and medical attention she could be a much healthier size than 2 or 3 pounds. I admire the way you are handling this. You aren't trying to foist a sick puppy off on an older lady - but instead are willing to take on the medical bills of the future. If, for any reason, your friend Margie can't take her, I'm positive that things will work out fine. Once Tundar gets used to Loca, he'll become her playmate (hopefully) which will wear her out so that you don't have to do all of the entertaining. I really find that my two puppies barely need a walk because they race around the house, grabbing each other's tails, etc. They come to me when they are tired and need a lap for a nap.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I second the idea that it may be too soon to give up on them getting along. As I've posted before, I have three little ones here (2 malt sisters and 1 yorkie). To be very honest, they all would rather have my attention than that of the other. However, they have learned to tolerate one another. Even the sisters (you'd assume they'd do great together but...).

I would give it some more time. I share my time with the girls. I have a playpen (used for a human baby) in my room. I take turns bringing them up from time to time. Sometimes, I may bring them all up at once and take turns holding one at a time. Is there barking from the others? You better believe it. But that's when I have to play "alpha dog" and make them settle down and wait their turn.

With that said, please know I understand how frustrating this period can be so I sincerely hope things turn out well for you no matter what you decide to do.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@May 2 2005, 10:56 AM
I was sooo tired this morning I washed my hair with shampoo three times trying to condition it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58915
[/QUOTE]

I had to chuckle at that!!!

Reminds me of when my skin kids were infants and I nursed them every 2-3 hours through the night!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i might be the only one thinking this but.. do you want to give the baby up? i thought you'd kind of 'bonded' with her.

just something to think about

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do like her and she is sweet but I think she would be happier being on her own. And I know Tunder willl be. And honestly even if I was extremely bonded w/her, I think I would give her up to Margie. I don't know how else to describe it but it feels right. Like it is the right thing to do. I am waiting til tomorrow to make sure the vet visit comes out ok, then I am calling her. And I would truelly get more pleasure out of watching her and Margie bond and take care of each other than I would keeping her myself.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
aw. then you're a much better person than me
if i had a happy little fluffer in my lap, and i played with her.. well, i dunno if i could give her up.
thats soo sweet of you to think of your friend and her wellbeing

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@May 2 2005, 06:50 PM
aw. then you're a much better person than me
if i had a happy little fluffer in my lap, and i played with her.. well, i dunno if i could give her up.
thats soo sweet of you to think of your friend and her wellbeing

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59073
[/QUOTE]
I agree! That is very very sweet and giving of you!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@May 2 2005, 07:48 PM
  I do like her and she is sweet but I think she would be happier being on her own. And I know Tunder willl be.  And honestly even if I was extremely bonded w/her, I think I would give her up to Margie.  I don't know how else to describe it but it feels right.  Like it is the right thing to do.  I am waiting til tomorrow to make sure the vet visit comes out ok, then I am calling her.  And I would truelly get more pleasure out of watching her and Margie bond and take care of each other than I would keeping her myself.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59071
[/QUOTE]
It's so awesome that you are doing that for Margie!! It sounds like Loca and Margie will be a great little family

1 - 20 of 22 Posts