Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previously, some links you clicked on opened in a new window, but a lot of them sent you away from SM, by opening in the same window.

(I am guessing here) that someone tried to change the code on the back end ... because now it seems all links open in the same window. :huh:

If I click on someone's link, I want it to open in a new window so that if I choose I can read it later. I don't like having to always open a new tab, and come back to SM there.

Can someone let us know if this might get fixed soon?

Thanks bunches!!! Jules

·
Administrator
694 Posts
Jules, it's not something that our tech guys are going to be fixing anytime soon (if at all). Question: What browser are you using? On most browsers, it's a quick fix. Scroll over the link you're wanting to open, right click on the link and a drop down menu should appear. On Firefox, for example, you should see options to "open link in new window" or "open link in new tab".

Another quick way to open links in a new tab works for those who use a mouse with a scroll wheel on it. If your mouse allows you to click down on the scroll wheel itself, try hovering over a link and doing that and see technology do its magic. :)

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
It's too bad the "tech guys" aren't planning on fixing this soon...if at all. The more bugs I find as each day goes by that won't be fixed makes me want to stop visiting SM, and it makes me really sad.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jules, it's not something that our tech guys are going to be fixing anytime soon (if at all). Question: What browser are you using? On most browsers, it's a quick fix. Scroll over the link you're wanting to open, right click on the link and a drop down menu should appear. On Firefox, for example, you should see options to "open link in new window" or "open link in new tab".

Another quick way to open links in a new tab works for those who use a mouse with a scroll wheel on it. If your mouse allows you to click down on the scroll wheel itself, try hovering over a link and doing that and see technology do its magic. :)
I'm using Firefox v.3 ... and I'm really not trying to be a punk here. But, I have worked on forums in the past, and know that these type of changes are usually a quick fix with the code, or a mod that can be downloaded.

Here's an example of a mod: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=145402&page=4

Features
  • No vBulletin core files modified.
  • No new files to add.
  • Add rel=nofollow only to external links.
  • Allow internal URLs to open in current window.
  • Support multiple domains for internal URLs (e.g. forums.vbulletin.org,wiki.vbulletin.org)
  • Easy to use and manage from vBulletin's Admin CP
It's just my opinion of course ... but I think continually sending people away from SM, or making them always have to click on all links and choose to open in a new tab or new window ... is forcing your users/members to do something they don't expect or want.

Since it's not that hard to fix, I don't see why it can't be done to keep the users/members happy.

No disrespect intended!!

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, how fabulous are you!!!! :ThankYou:

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I have to say this drives me bonkers! The Google links you posted do open in a new tab, but the one Jules posted (and the others I've clicked on in every thread today) open in the same tab/window.

It drives me crazy! I clicked on a link last night and after I'd been perusing the other site realized it had taken me away from SM - so I didn't bother opening SM back up since it would be a pain to get back where I was.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to say this drives me bonkers! The Google links you posted do open in a new tab, but the one Jules posted (and the others I've clicked on in every thread today) open in the same tab/window.

It drives me crazy! I clicked on a link last night and after I'd been perusing the other site realized it had taken me away from SM - so I didn't bother opening SM back up since it would be a pain to get back where I was.
Yeah, I noticed that too. That is really strange, because usually when you make a change to the code or add a mod to the back end, it works for the whole site. But, as you said, all other links are still opening in the same window. Weird.

HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
I just right click on the link and choose the "open link in new tab" option.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that too. That is really strange, because usually when you make a change to the code or add a mod to the back end, it works for the whole site. But, as you said, all other links are still opening in the same window. Weird.

HUGz! Jules
Just to mention, the mod you posted allows external links to open in a new window but allows internal URLs to open in the current window. The Grayson link is internal as it points to a thread on SM (although a reader wouldn't notice that so is unlikely to right click and choose where it is to open) but the Google links are external. Assuming the techies adopted that mod or used an option within the forum software itself it is the inconsistency that 'gets' people and we may as well get into the habit of right clicking every link if we want to make sure we stay on SM :(

I can understand the reasoning behind opening external sites in a new window but why should the internal links be deliberately different? Too confusing for my old brain :blush:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to mention, the mod you posted allows external links to open in a new window but allows internal URLs to open in the current window. The Grayson link is internal as it points to a thread on SM (although a reader wouldn't notice that so is unlikely to right click and choose where it is to open) but the Google links are external. Assuming the techies adopted that mod or used an option within the forum software itself it is the inconsistency that 'gets' people and we may as well get into the habit of right clicking every link if we want to make sure we stay on SM :(

I can understand the reasoning behind opening external sites in a new window but why should the internal links be deliberately different? Too confusing for my old brain :blush:
Just to clarify (in case I don't understand what you're saying) ...

External links mean any link that is posted that goes to another site other than SM. External links should open in a new window/tab, so that the user does not lose their SM window/tab. Once they're done at the 'other' site, they can then close that window/tab, and they are still on the SM site.

Internal links are ones that 'only' take you to something else on SM, such as another thread. These internal links should open in the same window/tab, as the user is still on the SM site.

HUGz! Jules

·
Administrator
694 Posts
That is correct Jules. The plugin we activated opens EXTERNAL links in a new tab. All links pointing to SM will open in the same tab. Confused yet everyone? :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
820 Posts
Just to clarify (in case I don't understand what you're saying) ...

External links mean any link that is posted that goes to another site other than SM. External links should open in a new window/tab, so that the user does not lose their SM window/tab. Once they're done at the 'other' site, they can then close that window/tab, and they are still on the SM site.

Internal links are ones that 'only' take you to something else on SM, such as another thread. These internal links should open in the same window/tab, as the user is still on the SM site.

HUGz! Jules
Yes that is exactly what I was saying!
But that is not always the case here (as you have pointed out) and it can be confusing having different types of links opening differently IMHO which is why I have resorted to right-click for all links. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts