Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I am new here. Came here because I want to make an educated decision :thumbsup:
An aquaintance has decided that she needs to rehome her maltese. He's about 8 mos, not yet neutered and full of energy. I currently have a pug (laid back, neutered 6yr old) and peekapoo(1 yr old spayed) who are very friendly, outgoing, easy dogs. They are crate trained at night and have free roam during the day - I am here most of the time though. They also use a doggie door freely. My cat is part Maine Coon and thinks he's a dog ;-). I researched a bit about the Maltese but is there any quirks or things I need to take into consideration about this breed? I plan on having him come for a visit to see how he does with other animals (he's the only animal in the home currently) and see how/if he fits in. Or perhaps I should visit him at his home first, then have our dogs meet on neutral ground?
I think he may be quite a barker too -is that common for the breed or just a personality thing? I'm thinking he'll either love the attn here from other animals -or hate it!
Any advice you may have is certainly appreciated!

~~UPDATE~~

I picked him up and brought him to my house. Took him in the bkyd then opened his crate. My dogs were very curious, as well as my cat! He came out slowly, looked around, then went back in his crate. He came out again quickly. My dogs sniffed his rear and he was kind of nervous. But they they started running around. No barking or whining from anyone. I stayed out there with them for 45 min and it went great. The only time he barked was when my cat jumped up on the deck and was higher than him (I believe this is his first time meeting a cat). He is now inside, running around, checking things out, learning where the water bowl is and trying to master the doggie door. He seems very happy, tail wagging pausing to say hello to me or just lay down and pant. I'm sure this is an exciting time for him! I watched him and my peekapoo doing the play bow and playing. It's very cute. The pug plays a bit then says "okay i'm done" and watches from afar! So we'll see how he does the rest of the day but I think he'd be happy here. I just need to decide on my end.
One thing I noticed - he got so dirty in my yard! Came in with leaves stuck to him and his paws and legs are not that pristine white anymore. My other dog is apricot and the pug, well nothing sticks to him. I guess he'll just need wiping up every so often so he doesn't look dirty everyday!

~~UPATE 2~~

My decision! Though I totally fell in love this this puppy, I have decided not to take him at this time. Yes he fits in well and would do very well here. But I just don't feel I am ready to have 3 dogs. I'm glad I had help from all of you as I didn't want to make an emotional decision to take him. For now 2 dogs and 1 cat that thinks he's a dog - is going to be it for me.
I am thankful I came here and learned more - and was ultimately introduced to this breed! One day perhaps I'll be ready to add another fluffy butt to my family and I will certainly consider the Maltese breed!
While she is finding him his perfect home I do get to 'puppy sit' him again. So he's not home alone every day if she works he will come here to have fun with my dogs and kids :) I look forward to that!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
From past posts by other SM members they say its always good to let the dogs meet on neutral grounds. Maltese dogs like ALOT of attention they will follow you around like a shadow. I personally love my little girl following me every where I think it's adorable. I will say you do have your hands full with kids in the house and other pets. I think you said you had a 2yr old. PLEASE keep that in mind when deciding to adopt a maltese. Maltese dogs are very fragile and can get hurt easy but I am sure you already know this:) Good Luck

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Welcome. I hope you find all of your answers here. Congrats on the new fluff. Maltese are wonderful dogs.

Excessive barking is a training issue, not a breed-specific trait. It takes work, but people can train their dogs not to bark excessively.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Hi,
I am new here. Came here because I want to make an educated decision :thumbsup:
An aquaintance has decided that she needs to rehome her maltese. He's about 8 mos, not yet neutered and full of energy. I currently have a pug (laid back, neutered 6yr old) and peekapoo(1 yr old spayed) who are very friendly, outgoing, easy dogs. They are crate trained at night and have free roam during the day - I am here most of the time though. They also use a doggie door freely. My cat is part Maine Coon and thinks he's a dog ;-). I researched a bit about the Maltese but is there any quirks or things I need to take into consideration about this breed? I plan on having him come for a visit to see how he does with other animals (he's the only animal in the home currently) and see how/if he fits in. Or perhaps I should visit him at his home first, then have our dogs meet on neutral ground?
I think he may be quite a barker too -is that common for the breed or just a personality thing? I'm thinking he'll either love the attn here from other animals -or hate it!
Any advice you may have is certainly appreciated!
Hi and welcome to SM :D I am Kat; owned by 2 maltese, Snowy & Crystal.

Tones of good threads with great info about the maltese breed. Glad that you found this place.

I think that your pug will be the maltese' friend so fast (from my reading to your words about them). My two maltese have similar personalities as you described about the maltese and pug. Crystal is laid back and Snowy is more into the very active side. Snowy and Crystal met for the very first time out of the house. I think that introducing the new fluff to the current fluff out of the house rather than in the house of the current fluff is important. It worked like magic in my case. Snowy is social and meeting Crystal was a big hit to him. He totally loved her. Crystal (the puppy at that time) wasn't too sure in the first few minutes, but within an hour, she was head over heels in love with Snowy:wub: You can see that in this video

Snowy is vocal. In other words, enjoys communicating with you by making little noises (not barks and not loud noises, but extremely cute little noises and body language associated with it:wub:). I taught snowy to speak in command.

Crystal doesn't do a peep. She isn't a vocal dog or a barker .

Both of my maltese bark when the door bell rings. Other than that, they are not barky type of fluffs. That isn't a maltese only related behavior. That is a dog behavior.

Excessive barking is a training issue, not a breed-specific trait. It takes work, but people can train their dogs not to bark excessively.
Yes, the above quote is actually a Fact

·
Banned
1,869 Posts

Tones of good threads with great info about the maltese breed. Glad that you found this place.

I think that your pug will be the maltese' friend so fast (from my reading to your words about them). My two maltese have similar personalities as you described about the maltese and pug. Crystal is laid back and Snowy is more into the very active side. Snowy and Crystal met for the very first time out of the house. I think that introducing the new fluff to the current fluff out of the house rather than in the house of the current fluff is important. It worked like magic in my case. Snowy is social and meeting Crystal was a big hit to him. He totally loved her. Crystal (the puppy at that time) wasn't too sure in the first few minutes, but within an hour, she was head over heels in love with Snowy:wub: You can see that in this video
Snowy & Crystal's first meeting

Snowy is vocal. In other words, enjoys communicating with you by making little noises (not barks and not loud noises, but extremely cute little noises and body language associated with it:wub:). I taught snowy to speak in command.

Both of my maltese bark when the door bell rings. Other than that, they are not barky type of fluffs. That isn't a maltese only related behavior. That is a dog behavior.

Kat,

That is the first time that I have seen this video - it made me cry with joy - the music was perfect.

Allie

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Kat,

That is the first time that I have seen this video - it made me cry with joy - the music was perfect.

Allie
awwh Allie, I am glad that you liked it :hugging:
That video is one of my favorite :wub: brings me happy tears too. Until this day, Snowy & Crystal are very bonded to one another. It is just so sweet for the eyes to see:wub::wub:

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
If you can have a trial run at your house for a few days, you may get a feel for what it'll be like. Of course it takes some time for the bonding. If they're ages and sizes aren't too far apart, it should be fine. Out of three maltese, I have one "yapper" :blink:.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
awwh Allie, I am glad that you liked it :hugging:
That video is one of my favorite :wub: brings me happy tears too. Until this day, Snowy & Crystal are very bonded to one another. It is just so sweet for the eyes to see:wub::wub:
Kat,

That is exactly how Barron and Lucy are - they adore each other. They sleep, play, drink and eat together - it's as though they couldn't live without each other.

To the OP - I hope that your fluffs will find this special bond with one another also - - -it's magical and heartwarming to witness the bond between two fluffs.

~Allie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your tips. LOVE that video!!
I did meet the puppy at his house the other day and he is a love.
Tomorrow I plan on having him meet my other dogs - but it will probably be in my backyard as that is all I can set up right now. My dogs are very friendly and have had 'new' dogs come straight into my house with no problem but I don't want this pup to feel overwhelmed at all so I think outside would be better. If it goes okay he will spend a few hrs here - and we'll see how it goes.

Truth be said i fell in love with him when I saw him - the Maltese is certainly an adorable breed. I just have to see how all these fluffy butts get along - and logically think about the work involved and if this is something I can not only do, but do well (meaning having 3 dogs).

Oh, i also have to convince my hubby :w00t: (but I did that okay the first 2 times, lol!)

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts

Snowy & Crystal's first meeting

Kat = love that video to pieces. I never saw it. Talk about love at first sight:) To the OP, I hope all goes well. Maltese are kind of high maintenance - grooming - so just make sure that you can fit it in with everything else going on -- pets and kids:) I'm hoping it will all work out for you. :chili:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kat = love that video to pieces. I never saw it. Talk about love at first sight:) To the OP, I hope all goes well. Maltese are kind of high maintenance - grooming - so just make sure that you can fit it in with everything else going on -- pets and kids:) I'm hoping it will all work out for you. :chili:
That's so funny you mention that. I have a peekapoo who has very curly hair in places so i brush her a lot - and trim the mats that form regardless. Just today she and the pug got baths, blown dry, and nail trims. This time I did it all but they get professionally groomed quite a bit. I'd just have to add another to the assembly line:thumbsup:

I appreciate all these little tidbits though - I want to go into this with my eyes wide open and not make an emotional decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yet another update - he's coming!

Well, I decided not to adopt him but my best friend did! He will spend some time here every so often so it's almost like he's my nephew :thumbsup:!!

He will arrive later today and spend his first night with me. Funny how this all worked out. :chili:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts