Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I saw that ads by google show an advertisement for a Cocker Breeder and a Rotty Breeder. It concerned me a bit that the Google generated ads on SM are bringing up websites that may or may not be reputable breeders. I wonder if there is anything that can be done to disable such ads.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Crystal, and I, were talking about this earlier. I'm sure Joe will take care of this as soon as he can.

I believe Joe is working quite a bit, thus leaving less time to be on SM. He's been alerted, so it will come to a halt.

"Joe, Joe, he's our man, if he can't do it, no one can" :party:

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Well actually, when I pm'd him, there were ads for Miniature Maltese and also a couple for Maltese Puppies that were websites for puppy brokers. Those were taken off really quickly. So I'm wondering if he doesn't know about the Cocker Spaniel one that I just now saw. I really don't think he knows what ads by Google will be revolving so when he's alerted to it, he takes it down right away. I know he's really careful about those types of things.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I don't get Google ads as I have a popup blocker that I downloaded from Firefox called Adblock plus. There really are ads for puppy mills? Wow!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Perhaps Yung will address this. Joe used to manually disable these ads but it was very time consuming. Most boards just leave them. Yes, they are offensive but just try to ignore them as they are part of a package deal with Google. I doubt that any of us would buy a puppy from these ads so they are just wasting their money .. and that's good!!! :p

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I really hope Yung disables the puppy ads. No live animals sales has been such an important part of SM's character over the years, I'd hate to see it change now. Having ads for online brokers and backyard breeders contradicts everything SM stands for. :thmbdn:

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
It really bothers me too. Number one, it's just not what SM has ever been about. But the thing that really worries me is that newbies and lurkers who don't really take the time to read about breeders, will just assume that breeders being advertised here are reputible.

·
Administrator
559 Posts
Hi everyone,

Let me look into this and see what we can do. I can tell you a few things about Google ads. They are not as selective as this community is at displaying ads. The unfortunate part to that is we are using their services and we can provide them with a list of links to block but at the same time, they will replace it with another one (not on purpose) that might be a puppy mill ad. We will try for sure. Thanks for bringing this to my attention K/C's Mom.

Yung

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
QUOTE (admin @ Oct 9 2009, 04:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=838296
Hi everyone,

Let me look into this and see what we can do. I can tell you a few things about Google ads. They are not as selective as this community is at displaying ads. The unfortunate part to that is we are using their services and we can provide them with a list of links to block but at the same time, they will replace it with another one (not on purpose) that might be a puppy mill ad. We will try for sure. Thanks for bringing this to my attention K/C's Mom.

Yung[/B]

I understand what you are talking about. If you can fix it great if not I understand.
Thanks for looking into it .. :)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
QUOTE (Crystal&Zoe @ Oct 9 2009, 03:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=838283
It really bothers me too. Number one, it's just not what SM has ever been about. But the thing that really worries me is that newbies and lurkers who don't really take the time to read about breeders, will just assume that breeders being advertised here are reputible.[/B]
Crystal, I couldn't agree more. I see that all the time on another forum I belong to that allows puppy sales. Newbies assume since a breeder advertises on the forum, they have some how been checked out and endorsed by the forum.

I really hope something can be done to continue to keep those ads off SM.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
QUOTE (LadysMom @ Oct 9 2009, 11:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=838211
I really hope Yung disables the puppy ads. No live animals sales has been such an important part of SM's character over the years, I'd hate to see it change now. Having ads for online brokers and backyard breeders contradicts everything SM stands for. :thmbdn:[/B]
well the rules for no live animal sales will stay in place inside the forum, i would encourage everyone to contact Yung with as much info as possible on any offending ads, as Sher and Yung mentioned, its hard to manage what shows up in google ads, luckily google ads are such the norm now that most people know each ad does not represent that particular site

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I never come in to the forum through the portal and I never pay attention to the advertising that is coming up on the top. Sooooooo I not even know what you are talking about. If it's too difficult to ban them, just ignore them. The important thing is that nobody on this forum does business with them. Maybe they will get tired and advertise somewhere else. If they are really doing statistics to see where their business is coming from, they will realize that it isn't worth advertising on this forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts