Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a few months back about some of the problem ads of breeders being posted on SM through the google ads system. I was concerned about it then, but it was Rottie breeders and Cocker Spaniel breeders so not so directly targeted. But today there was ads for teacup maltese breeders:
[attachment=58727:GoogleAds.jpg]
This concerns me greatly because it looks like SM is approving these greeders. I hope we can resolve this.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
just so everyone understands, we do not choose which ads to dispaly, unfortunately these ads are allowed by Google into their network, as Yung said, just PM him and give him some time to try and get them deleted, VS has it in their best interest to show ads that users will click on, they dont disappear instantly even when he adds them to the ban list, and there will probably always be a few we just have to ignore, its hard to ban them all, so please be patient, the upside is that once most of the bad ones are weeded out there are actually some great links they do show

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yung & Joe,

Thanks for your replies and thanks for working on this. If this is going to be an ongoing problem perhaps we could include a disclaimer near the ads so people are not confused when these blatantly problematic ones do pop up. I know that SM does not endorse these greeders, but newcomers to the site could be confused by this.

·
Administrator
559 Posts
Hi everyone,

The ads in question have been blocked. It may take up to 24 hours from the time we blocked them to kick in (it's a Google adsense thing). Unfortunately, we cannot put disclaimers on the ads that show up because they are automatically pulled from Google's database meaning we have no control on what physically shows in sight. We will always do our best to filter out the ads that do not belong here but in case we miss anything, just let us know. The people advertising with Google who have "not so good" reputations or intent will always find away around the system to spread their garbage. But we will do our best. :)

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I have an ad blocker from Firefox so I never see these ads. It is disappointing to me that they are there. They must send out some very mixed messages. Quite frankly, I might have been hesitant to have a paid membership if I'd seen these ads. Mixed messages are very disconcerting to me. As a newbie, I would have thought, "Does this forum support puppy mills or not?" I've seen disclaimers on other websites, not on the ads themselves, but right on on the home page of the site, telling site visitors that they are not responsible for the content of the Google ads, and they don't necessarily endorse or agree with the product being offered. Why can't something like that be done here?

Also, has anything been changed in the forum guidelines regarding the majority of the paid members concerns on puppy mills/BYB's so that there isn't unpleasantness toward newbies about puppy mills, or BYB's? Is there ever going to be a "Read This First" statement so that newbies understand the general view here regarding this? Like I'd posted before, I'm on other forums that have great "Read This First" guidelines so that everything is made clear before someone becomes a member and posts so there are no hurt feelings.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
QUOTE (Nikki's Mom @ Nov 25 2009, 08:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=854653
I have an ad blocker from Firefox so I never see these ads. It is disappointing to me that they are there. They must send out some very mixed messages. Quite frankly, I might have been hesitant to have a paid membership if I'd seen these ads. Mixed messages are very disconcerting to me. As a newbie, I would have thought, "Does this forum support puppy mills or not?" I've seen disclaimers on other websites, not on the ads themselves, but right on on the home page of the site, telling site visitors that they are not responsible for the content of the Google ads, and they don't necessarily endorse or agree with the product being offered. Why can't something like that be done here?

Also, has anything been changed in the forum guidelines regarding the majority of the paid members concerns on puppy mills/BYB's so that there isn't unpleasantness toward newbies about puppy mills, or BYB's? Is there ever going to be a "Read This First" statement so that newbies understand the general view here regarding this? Like I'd posted before, I'm on other forums that have great "Read This First" guidelines so that everything is made clear before someone becomes a member and posts so there are no hurt feelings.

Just my .02.[/B]
I can definitely understand that admin can't necessarily control all the ads and I'm so glad that they are getting rid of them quickly when they can. I just wanted to say that I like the idea of a "Read This First" type message. I can't remember because it's been so long since I signed up here but I think most forums I sign up on have you read and agree to the rules when you register so a message/info type statement could be added after the rules for people to read and agree that they acknowledge it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts