Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a recommendation for a good shampoo and conditioner for Lizzie. She has very cottony hair and it keeps breaking. At first I thought it was the bands I was using, but I changed bands and her hair still breaks, so I thought maybe it was the type of coat she has.

So, for those of you with experience with the cotton type of coat, is there a really good shampoo and conditioner I can buy to help with the problem or is this just something I need to expect because of the coat type?

Also, I was reading another thread about daily face washing and saw that one member uses a tear free shampoo. Could you guys recommend one for me too?

Thanks so much and sorry for so many questions:blush:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. I will definately order that shampoo. I use a pin brush, but it doesn't have any balls on the ends of the bristles. I also use a face comb sometimes around her legs, on her belly and under her neck. It's harder for me to get to those places with the brush since she is so tiny.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
When the hair is wet - right after the towel comes off - COMB the hair through with the wide end before you start blowdrying, and using a brush. Hair is at it's most delicate state when it's wet. A brush "grabs" the hair and streaches it, when it snaps that's when it breaks off and/or causes split ends. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. This my first fuzzy puppy, so I need all the advice about grooming I can get :)

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
You can use a pin brush when it's wet if you start at the ends and work your way up. Pulling from the root of the hair will do damage. I wouldn't use a comb until I've brushed through. Actually, I never use a comb on the body coat. I just brush and dry each section as I stated above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts