Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bernadette went in to have her baby teeth removed, she had two taken out that weren't coming out on their own in order to make way for her adult canines. We went back yesterday to have the vet look and see if they were coming in yet and she didn't see anything erupting.

So she said that we'd keep waiting awhile but that the danger of not having them come in was that they could end up being impacted and get infected so she referred me to get x-rays done from an animal dentist.

She said it wasn't an emergency "by any means" since I was anxious about the costs seeing as I just paid $250 out of pocket for her tooth extraction less than two weeks ago. :smilie_tischkante:

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a pup with delayed adult canines. Bernie's 10 months old tomorrow. Either way, has anyone had to consult with an animal dentist and how did it go? Should I do this right away or heed the vet's advice and wait on it a bit?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or input on this issue.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I did not need to see an animal dentist. Maybe someone else did. But at 10 months I think it would be worth doing it. You never know. Lets see what the other ladies have to say.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Well, if the dog has no problems then it is up to you. If there are not adult teeth there then there's not much to be done so long as it causes no problem. A dental x-ray is the only way to tell.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I've worked with an Animal Dentist before. Not for a malt though. I had two bearded collies that some broken canine teeth. Pulling the teeth might have broken the jaw so we did root canals on them. Crazy expensive but I knew they weren't in pain anymore and that was worth it.

I don't have any experience with canine teeth not coming in. If it were me I'd probably just get the Xray to see if she's going get them at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts