Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just need some input. we have 3 yr old shihtzu and I aint sure if she is pregnant i tried taking her to the vet but he said I should wait 45 days before they do an xray.. well here is my problem. One day I can feel something moving inside then there has been a few days where I don't feel anything. Then again a start feeling something again. How do I know if it is gas or not? I don't know yet if it is a true pregnancy or a false one. how can I tell?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseMaMa@Jun 6 2005, 01:11 PM
Hello everyone, I just need some input. we have 3 yr old shihtzu and I aint sure if she is pregnant i tried taking her to the vet but he said I should wait 45 days before they do an xray.. well here is my problem.  One day I can feel something moving inside then there has been a few days where I don't feel anything. Then again a start feeling something again. How do I know if it is gas or not?  I don't know yet if it is a true pregnancy or a false one. how can I tell?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69659
[/QUOTE]

If you know she is over 30 days in to preg you should see a difference in the belly size. My dog gets a little runny stool during preg and they can vomit a little. they will eat more and be hungery all the time. you should see milk production in the last two weeks. Some get swelling in the nipples first. If you need any more help feel free to pm me

Sarah

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseMaMa@Jun 6 2005, 01:11 PM
Hello everyone, I just need some input. we have 3 yr old shihtzu and I aint sure if she is pregnant i tried taking her to the vet but he said I should wait 45 days before they do an xray.. well here is my problem.  One day I can feel something moving inside then there has been a few days where I don't feel anything. Then again a start feeling something again. How do I know if it is gas or not?  I don't know yet if it is a true pregnancy or a false one. how can I tell?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69659
[/QUOTE]

First, you don't want to do the x-ray until the last week of pregnancy. Most vets would tell you that not much can be determined at 45 days.
You can feel the pups, like little marbles, at day 28. After that, you probably can't feel them until the eighth week. I never have been able to do either of these, but I have a friend who does a good job of counting the litter on or around the 28th day. That is how I knew to tell my vet I was having one pup when my Kim was born, even before the x-ray.
I look for changes in the tits, as well as the vulva staying swollen. If the tits are turning darker pink, are slightly enlarged, and the hair is growing away from them, then you have some pretty fair indicators there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts