Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocco has been home about 48 hours now. He is happy and playful. We have a plate of kibble out for him and keep it filled. He runs over to it between adventures and helps himself. Is this the best way to be feeding an 11 week old puppy? Should we be regulating the amount of food and giving it at specific times during the day? My instinct is to let him decide when he is hungry and how much he needs. Advice appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I have done both ways with my dogs: free feeding and scheduled feeding. Depending on the dog either can work.

However, I just discovered (thanks to JMM) that potty training is MUCH easier when you schedule feeding. I can't remember but assuming that if your pup is at least 12 weeks you will be on 2-3 feedings a day. Since puppies generally have a BM about 20 minutes after they eat the scheduled feeding helps know when to take them out.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have always fed my dogs on a schedule. It is so helpful if you work, go out, take them somewhere, etc. They eat, and then pooh a bit afterwards ... makes things much easier.

If you let him free-feed, be prepared to never know when he will need to go potty.

BTW ... love his name!!! :wub:

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I prefer a schedule so I know what my dog is eating and to aid in potty training. At that age 3-4 small meals per day would be appropriate. If you prefer to free feed, that's your preference. The only problems with free feeding are difficulties potty training (pups may defecate frequently and unpredictably) and the risk of the dog overeating or undereating. If you only have one dog and can monitor closely, it may work just fine for you.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I free feed the dry kibble and then feed them dinner each evening with canned food.

Surprisingly Archie is my chubby guy and he's not the biggest eater. Tink eats all day long, but he's also running all day long.

I love that Ava eats whenever she wants as she teeters between 2.8 and three pounds. She's at 2.8 today....so I want her to eat whenever she wants. But she's already house trained so it's not a problem.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you ladies, it looks like we will try the scheduled feeds and see how that works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts