Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 3 month old male in an ex pen with pads, his toys, water, etc...
I’m rethinking that maybe I should kennel train him?
If not, how will I train him to use the pads outside the ex pen?
(He will be strictly using pads )
Please help, I’m new at all of this. Never had a puppy and I want to make sure I’m going the best route

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I would like to suggest that you kennel train him since that has been always been one of the most successful ways to train a new Puppy. Apparently, and from what you have posted, he will be strictly using pads??? Is he not going to be going outside for walks, etc.?
I personally have never used Pads since our Puppies/Dogs go outside to do their thing. Perhaps there will be some others here on SM who might want to offer you some advice as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to suggest that you kennel train him since that has been always been one of the most successful ways to train a new Puppy. Apparently, and from what you have posted, he will be strictly using pads??? Is he not going to be going outside for walks, etc.?
I personally have never used Pads since our Puppies/Dogs go outside to do their thing. Perhaps there will be some others here on SM who might want to offer you some advice as well.
No, he won’t be going outside because of where we live.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I agree with Snuggles mommy. I’m a retired Certified Dog Trainer. The crate area needs to be small enough that he can only stand up, turn around and lay down. That will discourage him from wanting to potty in the crate. By nature dogs do not want to eliminate where they sleep or rest. It also teaches them to hold it. He will start whining when he feels the urge to potty. Then take him to the pee pads. Be sure to praise him for using the pads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Snuggles mommy. I’m a retired Certified Dog Trainer. The crate area needs to be small enough that he can only stand up, turn around and lay down. That will discourage him from wanting to potty in the crate. By nature dogs do not want to eliminate where they sleep or rest. It also teaches them to hold it. He will start whining when he feels the urge to potty. Then take him to the pee pads. Be sure to praise him for using the pads.
Sounds like great advice. Thank you both!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have never kennel trained before because I personally don’t care for it. Our Maltese have all been trained to use pads and to go outdoors. When you pad train, you do it just like outside training. Walk them on a leash to the pad, use your “go potty prompt “, wait, LOTS OF VERBAL PRAISE and excitement and reward with a tiny treat. If you go on the search thread on this site, you will find lots of tips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts