Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Codi had his surgery yesterday and I picked him up this morning. Since the time I have picked him up, he has not gone to the bathroom once. I'm kind of worried, I know he has to go, but I wonder if it hurts too much? He is eating (lots more than usual!) and drinking...

Also, is he supposed to wear the cone for the full 2 weeks until he gets the sutures removed?

I think those are all the questions at the moment, although I know I'll have some more soon...

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I can't really answer all your questions.
Brink didn't wear a cone. He didn't bother his stitches...just licked AROUND them, although it drove me crazy keeping an eye on him.

He didn't use the bathroom either for awhile, but I can't remember how long.
He didn't have pain meds either, but you might ask about them ifyou think he is in pain.
Good luck. They are usually back to themselves in a day or so.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never fails but minutes after I posted this he left a big mess in front of the door! I was just happy he finally went!

Thanks for the help!!

He is on pain medications, every 8 hours. He's actually walking around right now! YAY!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Isn't it funny how we can get so excited about them going (even if its inside) sometimes? I know when both lexi and nikki were spayed i was going nuts when they went.

If he does seem a little constipated you can try a tsp or so of 100% canned pumpkin It will help loosen things up.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Puddles was on pain meds also. The doctor said only use as needed, how was I to know if he needed them.... so I gave as directed for 3 days.

He wore the cone when not in my site for a week.

Hope is doing will.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I am so pleased Codi is doing so well now

Scooby didn't wear the collar either, but then he didn't have the stitches. He did have a little accident inside the house the first day too, I think the surgery may have confused him for a couple of days but he was back on track after that. From memory I think he also didn't poop the first day either, probably because he was a little sore. He didn't need the pain meds either, he was his normal self the next morning, just a little quieter for a day or so then back to his playful mischeivious antics.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yay, I was just like you when Paris was neutered. I watched his every move, afraid about this, concerned about that...lol

I think the most important thing is to make sure he takes his antibiotics, and maybe lessen the pain medication by the end of the first week.

I kept his cone on for the whole time before the stiches were removed. I figured better safe than sorry because it's nearly impossible for me to supervise him every second of the day.

He got used to the cone soon after.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Indy did not have the cone, the Vet said no need unless I saw him going at his stitches then he would get one. Indy never bothered with his stitches, also he did not come home with pain meds. He was neutered and then spent the day at the Vets and then overnight and I picked him up around 11 the next morning. They said he was doing very well and didn't feel he needed any meds for here, they did give him some there before he left though. Again, if I felt he was in pain to give them a call, but Indy was fine so I never did..at least about the cone or meds.
Indy also had 13 of his baby teeth removed while he was under for the neutering. He came home with a big thirst (which I had to wait awhile when we got home to let him drink..per the Vet) and was very hungry also! Now that all those baby teeth were removed he could really chow down
He ate three times as fast as before having the teeth out and so in turn he also doubled what he was eating a day!
I know how you feel, I watched Indy like a hawk when he came home, I was so worried about him, but he was fine except for a bit of irritation from the tube in his throat during surgery, which I did call the Vet on. I was told to keep an eye on him and as long as nothing was out of the ordinary it would go away in a few days, which it did.
I hope your baby is doing well and you too

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone!

Codi has definitely gotten a larger appetite! Last night he ate as much in one sitting as he does in a week (a slight exaggeration, but still... lol)

He's definitely trying to get to the stitiches so I'm going to keep the cone on for a while...

Well, off to work I go. Codi gets to stay home today and be pampered by Mom and Dad... lucky

Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts