Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if I should have just continued this topic on the other thread - although I don't think there are any 'rules' about that here on SM. :D

Anyway - my vet listed on the after care instructions -

No Running, Jumping or Playing (restricted activity) for ten days. Any suggestions on how I might actually do this?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
All I can say is good luck
. The first couple days Cloud didnt make much movement because it still hurt him. After that, he kept jumping on my bed, which is pretty high. I try not to be loud and active around him. Take care

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by CandicePK@Dec 3 2004, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure if I should have just continued this topic on the other thread - although I don't think there are any 'rules' about that here on SM.   :D

Anyway - my vet listed on the after care instructions -

No Running, Jumping or Playing (restricted activity) for ten days.  Any suggestions on how I might actually do this? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20107
[/QUOTE]

When Kallie was spayed two years' ago my vet also said the same thing. I followed the rules... I didn't want the incision to open up, etc. I did not play with her which helped... also, I carried her around and I kept her in her crate a bit more than usual. At that point she had not yet learned to jump on the sofa, etc. so I didn't have to worry about that. If you have a puppy play pen, you could keep her in there a lot.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonderful suggestions! Thank you all so very much. She's not much of a jumper thankfully. She does like to rough-house a bit with our other dog (not a malt) but were keeping them apart (for the most part) for now.

Thanks again!

J

·
0 Posts
The first night home you could tell Lacey did not feel well at all!! She would walk about 2 feet and then rest. I felt so bad for her. By noon the next day you would have never known she had been spayed. The vet called and asked how she was doing...told her that she was running and playing. The vet told me to try to keep her calm and I told her she should tell that to Lacey! LOL These little ones are so smart, they know what they can do and not do.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
The day after Lexi was spayed she was feeling a little better. We went outside and he best friend, Ellie, was out. Lexi tried to play but after only a few seconds she discovered she was still sore so she looked to me to pick her up. They are smart and will discover on their own what they can and can not do. I had a cold when she was spayed so the night of her surgery and the day after we laid in bed pretty much the entire time. Lexi was fine with this. By the second full day after she was ready to start playing. I was still very carefull with her but she was much more herself.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You need to try as hard as possible because the incision can open up.

Quiet time in the crate with a chew or kong is good. At other times, you can leash her to you in the house to keep her from running and bouncing too much.

Only leash walks outside. Short walks to get a little energy out are fine as long as they're controlled.

When Mikey was on rest for 3 months, I did a lot of food games with him, like putting his whole meal in his twist and treat or treat ball and putting him in a small area with it so he wouldn't move around too much, but was entertained.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Brittany Lot@Dec 12 2004, 02:52 PM
What about holding them differently?  Zoe gets spayed tomorrow!!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22321
[/QUOTE]

Just support their rear end and a hand under their chest. I wouldn't pick her up in one arm or under her belly for about a week.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Vet also told me to support the rear end with one hand while holding her with the other. Good luck to your baby.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts