Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About four weeks ago, my Malte-Shitzu cross had Luxated Patella surgery on one leg. I recently started taking her back to an unofficial dog park for her therapy. Since her surgery she has become dog aggressive! Today she went after two dogs in the park that were on leash. She went after a Pekingnese and I was able to break it up but 20 minutes later, she actually nipped (and drew blood) on the ear of a little Papillion. Thankfully, the owner was obliging and didn't take it further. I was told by a friend that because the other dogs were on a leash, that my dog may have felt that they were fair game.

I am very concerned as she was nothing like this prior to her surgery. She recently came out of heat. From now on, I have to leash her. She was scheduled for a spay prior to her surgery but the Vet opted not to do it for another month as he felt the leg needed more operative work.

What could be causing this aggression? Could it be to to the fact that she feels "handicapped" because of her leg? Her Mom which I have (full Maltese), has never shown any agression towards dogs.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Jimmi@May 10 2005, 09:07 PM
About four weeks ago, my Malte-Shitzu cross had Luxated Patella surgery on one leg. I recently started taking her back to an unofficial dog park for her therapy. Since her surgery she has become dog aggressive! Today she went after two dogs in the park that were on leash. She went after a Pekingnese and I was able to break it up but 20 minutes later, she actually nipped (and drew blood) on the ear of a little Papillion. Thankfully, the owner was obliging and didn't take it further. I was told by a friend that because the other dogs were on a leash, that my dog may have felt that they were fair game.

I am very concerned as she was nothing like this prior to her surgery. She recently came out of heat. From now on, I have to leash her. She was scheduled for a spay prior to her surgery but the Vet opted not to do it for another month as he felt the leg needed more operative work.

What could be causing this aggression? Could it be to to the fact that she feels "handicapped" because of her leg? Her Mom which I have (full Maltese), has never shown any agression towards dogs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61506
[/QUOTE]

Deb,

I have to admit that although Miko is generally friendly towards little dogs (with exception of pugs - for whatever reason) but he is very aggressive towards big dogs - ALL the time. He is always leashed but one time in our apartment complex, he was once unleashed and ran towards a huge husky mix (his eternal enemy) and was about to attack her (growling, barking, nipping). We grabbed a hold of him before he could do anything, but I know he is capable of it. All this started at about 1-1.5 yrs of age (way before surgery). When he was younger, he was never like that - he played with golden retrievers, labs without any aggression. I don't know what really brought on this change. I have definitely tried to socialize him - ever since he was 20 wks or so, we go out for walks at least twice per day and we see lots of people and dogs.

Out of curiousity, which dog park do you take her to? We have been to the one on Laurel Canyon, in Van Nuys (white oak) but most of the time we take him to the one right near our house, its not really a dog park but a park where people run, play games, etc.

I am glad Jimmi is recovering well though!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
:D Join the "Dog Aggression Anonymous Club!!!! :D

"Hello, my name is Brinkley, and I try to protect my mommy from those furry things that walk around on four legs with their tongues hanging out. I am sure they will lick her to death! I must do my duty and protect her from these monsters!"

Hubby and friends at the ball park are convinced that he doesn't "know" he is a "dog" because I don't "treat" him like a "dog"!

I personally just think he has a little of the Napoleon Syndrome...I don't KNOW if he would hurt another dog....but he sure sounds like it, so I don't give it a chance.
He does bite/nip our Lab, and she cowers like a baby...so he loses interest and will go after the Bassett, who ignores him. She has snapped at him a few times to warn him to leave her alone...he usually backs off, for a while. Needless to say, they don't get much play time together-it is too stressful for me!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hubby and friends at the ball park are convinced that he doesn't "know" he is a "dog" because I don't "treat" him like a "dog"!

I personally just think he has a little of the Napoleon Syndrome...I don't KNOW if he would hurt another dog....but he sure sounds like it, so I don't give it a chance.
He does bite/nip our Lab, and she cowers like a baby...so he loses interest and will go after the Bassett, who ignores him. She has snapped at him a few times to warn him to leave her alone...he usually backs off, for a while. Needless to say, they don't get much play time together-it is too stressful for me!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61572
[/B][/QUOTE]

LOL Tunny will hide until Ranger passes by then jump out behind and nip his feet or when Ranger walks by him and he is up on the couch Tunny will bite at Ranger's tail.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by JMM@May 11 2005, 09:54 AM
1. What she on a leash?

2. How long ago did she start bleeding?

3. How mobile is she now?

Dogs in heat can get very, very weird and act quite squirely.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61573
[/QUOTE]

She wasn't on a leash nor was her Mom. She ran up to the leashed Peke and starting fighting right away, then her Mom joined in. I couldn't believe it as it never happened. Then same thing 20 minutes later with the Papillon

She stopped bleeding about a week ago so I assume she is out of heat?

She is really mobile now, off and running, she still skips every so often on the leg but nothing like before. Vet said not to worry; this is normal during recovery for up to 3 months.

Thankfully, the owner of the Peke didn't take any recourse. From now on, I have to leash them or things could be worse next time physically and financially.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by okw+May 11 2005, 04:31 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Jimmi
@May 10 2005, 09:07 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61506
Deb,

I have to admit that although Miko is generally friendly towards little dogs (with exception of pugs - for whatever reason) but he is very aggressive towards big dogs - ALL the time. He is always leashed but one time in our apartment complex, he was once unleashed and ran towards a huge husky mix (his eternal enemy) and was about to attack her (growling, barking, nipping). We grabbed a hold of him before he could do anything, but I know he is capable of it. All this started at about 1-1.5 yrs of age (way before surgery). When he was younger, he was never like that - he played with golden retrievers, labs without any aggression. I don't know what really brought on this change. I have definitely tried to socialize him - ever since he was 20 wks or so, we go out for walks at least twice per day and we see lots of people and dogs.

Out of curiousity, which dog park do you take her to? We have been to the one on Laurel Canyon, in Van Nuys (white oak) but most of the time we take him to the one right near our house, its not really a dog park but a park where people run, play games, etc.

I am glad Jimmi is recovering well though!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61515
[/B][/QUOTE]

I take them to the one in North Hollywood. It's an official one at Whitnall Highway and Cahuenga. It's split in two for the big dogs and little dogs (lots of space in between). I don't like White Oak because both parks are separated by just a fence. I see people just open the gate and let their big dogs run with the small dogs. There's a little one in Valley Village (Tujunga Park) where I live that's unofficial where lots of people take their dogs. But lately, Animal Control has been coming by and issuing citations. I guess the neighbors are complaining.

Maybe Tlunn is right, my Jimmi is developing Napoleon syndrome!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Jimmi@May 11 2005, 11:36 AM
She wasn't on a leash nor was her Mom. She ran up to the leashed Peke and starting fighting right away, then her Mom joined in. I couldn't believe it as it never happened. Then same thing 20 minutes later with the Papillon

She is really mobile now, off and running, she still skips every so often on the leg but nothing like before. Vet said not to worry; this is normal during recovery for up to 3 months.

Thankfully, the owner of the Peke didn't take any recourse. From now on, I have to leash them or things could be worse next time physically and financially. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61595
[/QUOTE]

She should be kept separate from other dogs for 4 weeks from the date she begins bleeding. Stopping bleeding does not mean anything as many dogs do not bleed for the entire time. Most dogs are fertile between days 10-22 of their cycle.

She should absolutely be on a leash. Depending on the day she is on in her cycle, I may not put much into the unusual behavior. If she's still in heat, she may well act very weirdly. If she really and truly is out of season, and this is a new behavior, I would wonder what was different about this trip? Was it the first in a long while? Was she overwhelmed? What was different?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by JMM+May 11 2005, 01:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Jimmi
@May 11 2005, 11:36 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61595
She should be kept separate from other dogs for 4 weeks from the date she begins bleeding. Stopping bleeding does not mean anything as many dogs do not bleed for the entire time. Most dogs are fertile between days 10-22 of their cycle.

She should absolutely be on a leash. Depending on the day she is on in her cycle, I may not put much into the unusual behavior. If she's still in heat, she may well act very weirdly. If she really and truly is out of season, and this is a new behavior, I would wonder what was different about this trip? Was it the first in a long while? Was she overwhelmed? What was different?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61638
[/B][/QUOTE]

JMM!

You are correct as usual! I called my vet today and explained what happened and he seems to think that even though technically she is out of heat, her hormones are still doing back-flips.

There was nothing different about yesterday, I've taken her to the same park about 5 times since her surgery. She wasn't overwhelmed at all nor was anyting out of the norm. The vet seems to think that both my dogs experienced "pack" behavior and went after the dogs that were contained (leashed).

I took them to a different dog park today. I brought the muzzle with me and anytime Jimmi appeared to show aggression I showed it to her and unbelievingly, she backed away. It's this tiny little muzzle that my groomer gave me, I use it on her to clip the hair around her face. And who says dogs can't think?????

Anyway, I'm so glad she will be getting spayed next Saturday as the Vet seems to think this is what is causing her pack, aggresive behavior. We'll see otherwise she is off to obedience school!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts