Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!!
Ok here's the long and short of it. Teddy is a very happy playful 16 month old Malt that loves his family very much (those that see him often). He interacts with his sissy Kiki and his cousin Pepper and is well adapted.
Teddy does not like strangers coming over. He also sometimes barks and growls and snarls a lot while outside at people. Some people he pays no attention to, and others he goes nuts over.
We're having our fence extended this week, and bc of this, Teddy has to be let out on a leash outside in the front yard (clipped to a grounded cork screw) While I was at work, my mom let him out and I guess didn't clip him on all the way. Two girls were walking by (12 and 3) and when he ran to bark at them, he just kept going right off his leash (bc he wasn't on properly). He ran across the busy street, right up to the girls, and started barking and snarling at them. The 12 yr old picked up the 3 yr old, and after some panic and coaxing, my mom went to get him and he darted back across the street and finally they got him in the house. I was very upset by this when I got home from work. He could have (but didn't) bit one of them, and that would be that! Why is he being so agressive? How do I make him stop??? He has never been abused (we got him as a very tiny pup), we don't spank him, and nobody has ever teased him. It's just something that happens to him - the way he acts.
I was watching a show on animal planet and they showed these two small dogs that were in need of adoption. But bc of some of their behaviors, they were unadoptable (i.e., they chased along the fence when someone walked by, they barked and snarled at ongoers, etc). TEDDY DOES THOSE THINGS!!!
Does anyone have any advice on how to try to stop this behavior? Thank god nobody got hurt, and Teddy didn't get hit by a car. But what if there is a next time?

help!!!
Jackie & Teddy

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You are right to worry about Teddy's behavior. As you say, had he bitten one of the girls, you could be in big trouble. And you are right, rescue groups won't take an aggressive dog and shelters just euthanize them.

I don't know what Teddy's background is, but a common problem in dogs that came from pet shops/puppy mills is that they become aggressive when they mature at about a year old.

Whatever the reason for Teddy's behavior, you need to contact a professional trainer to help you work on modifying it asap.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by Teddy7@Nov 9 2005, 09:53 AM
Hi everyone!!
Ok here's the long and short of it. Teddy is a very happy playful 16 month old Malt that loves his family very much (those that see him often). He interacts with his sissy Kiki and his cousin Pepper and is well adapted.
Teddy does not like strangers coming over. He also sometimes barks and growls and snarls a lot while outside at people. Some people he pays  no attention to, and others he goes nuts over.
We're having our fence extended this week, and bc of this, Teddy has to be let out on a leash outside in the front yard (clipped to a grounded cork screw) While I was at work, my mom let him out and I guess didn't clip him on all the way. Two girls were walking by (12 and 3) and when he ran to bark at them, he just kept going right off his leash (bc he wasn't on properly). He ran across the busy street, right up to the girls, and started barking and snarling at them. The 12 yr old picked up the 3 yr old, and after some panic and coaxing, my mom went to get him and he darted back across the street and finally they got him in the house. I was very upset by this when I got home from work. He could have (but didn't) bit one of them, and that would be that! Why is he being so agressive? How do I make him stop??? He has never been abused (we got him as a very tiny pup), we don't spank him, and nobody has ever teased him. It's just something that happens to him - the way he acts.
I was watching a show on animal planet and they showed these two small dogs that were in need of adoption. But bc of some of their behaviors, they were unadoptable (i.e., they chased along the fence when someone walked by, they barked and snarled at ongoers, etc). TEDDY DOES THOSE THINGS!!!
Does anyone have any advice on how to try to stop this behavior? Thank god nobody got hurt, and Teddy didn't get hit by a car. But what if there is a next time?

help!!!
Jackie & Teddy
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118233
[/QUOTE]

Kenji is the same way!!!
I don't know what to do! He is usually a bad boy when he's with me, in my arms, or on the leash while walking him. Otherwise, offleash or wandering around by himself he's a good boy and seems timid and shy. I also don't let Kenji get offleash unless it is a gated park. He almost got hit by a car running across the street growling at another dog. I don't know how to fix this behavior. He also attacks the tv when he sees a cow, dog, or an animal. What's unusual is that he wags his tail in this aggressive behavior.
anybody have a clue how to train him?
I tried distracting him when I see him tense up and praise him when he's good.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I think a lot of these problems can arise from lack of socializing when the puppy is young. I also wonder if your pups are just bluffing and probably may never actually bite. Scooby is the same when someone comes to the house but we have never stopped him from meeting anyone and he usually runs toward people in the house and barks and growls but when he actually gets to them he just wants to play and ends up running around all silly. He has on occasion taken a dislike to some people while I have been holding him and I wonder if that is simply because he has no escape because once he is free to do his thing he is fine with anyone.
These little guys can sound off like they think they are rotties but probably if ignored they are just little fluffballs full of spirit.
If your dog is actually snapping and showing abnormal agression then I think you need to have some extra training to curb it before it becomes irreversable.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I agree with the fact that the pup hasn't been socialized enough with strangers and strange children.

He might see these strange people as trespassing on "his territory" and thus the fight or flight response kicks in (out of fear reaction)...with your dog, Teddy, is obviously responding with the "fight" response. You have to find a way to teach your dog that strangers "people" are not dangerous. Time to retrain, it can be done...although, it will take time and patience...and if all else fails, a professional trainer.

I read that at ten weeks, introduce your dog to a new stranger EVERY day. These should be pleasant experiences and will show your pup he has nothing to fear...or better yet, "people" are fun. My pup loves the attention already (yes, I am doing the new person almost every day) and who doesn't adore these little faces...no problem introducing him to everyone who goes ga-ga for a malti.

Here is a helpful clip of an article on aggressive behavior:

Work with your dog and sweet, supervised children so the dog will learn that kids can be nice. Please do this before the dog ever experiences a child who is rough! First impressions are lasting impressions, and many a dog has developed a permanent bad reaction to children due to one misbehaving child. It can happen that quickly. Sometimes you can repair the damage to the dog’s temperament by many sessions with gentle kids, but sometimes you are never able to fix it.

The same goes for your toy dog and strange adults. Supervise all interactions your dog has with children, strange adults, and larger dogs, or make sure someone who knows what they are doing provides supervision. The dog is forming beliefs about the world with every experience. Make them good experiences, and also consistently show your dog that if something starts to go badly, you will intervene. This is how you prevent a dog from becoming aggressive out of fear. You protect the dog so the dog doesn’t have to do it.

Let us know his progress...he IS still a baby.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts