Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We might have to take Izzy from PA to Texas next month. I want to just put her under the seat in front of me. Does anyone know if the Juicy Bag I have is Airline approved? What do I need to do to make arrangements for her travel? We are booked on a nonstop flight which should help. Do I need vet papers, etc?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
It depends on the airline...The safest thing to do is to contact the airline, I'm sure the info would be listed on there website too. They all have different rules. I'm not sure if the juicy bag is approved. I know that some airlines sell carriers...not sure about the quality though, and I'm sure Izzy would be more comfy in her own bag that she is use to. You should really call the airline and book Izzy on the flight, on Jetblue I think it was $50 for Peanut. They have limits on how many pets can ride in the cabin so call soon, I doubt you want Izzy to end up in cargo. Good luck on Izzy's first flight!
With the bags, I think most airlines are fine with the carrier as long as it fits under the seat, and it is able to be fully zipped. Jetblue also checked to see if Peanut had enough room to stretch out, stand, and turn around.

I forgot to say that most airlines do need to have a letter from the vet within a certain time period before the flight.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Mar 16 2005, 09:47 PM
We might have to take Izzy from PA to Texas next month.  I want to just put her under the seat in front of me.  Does anyone know if the Juicy Bag I have is Airline approved?  What do I need to do to make arrangements for her travel?  We are booked on a nonstop flight which should help.  Do I need vet papers, etc?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=43916
[/QUOTE]

Hi,

I flew with large Juicy carrier over the winter break on United Airlines. I specifically asked them if the bag would be acceptable and they said yes. You need to make reservations for Izzy at the time you book your own flight. If you book online, you need to call them. Lots of airlines allow pets, but Southwest doesn't (there may be other airlines that don't either, so be sure to check). Also, even the ones that allow it (and they all charge between $70-$80 for a pet one way so double for round trip) have a limitation on how many are allowed per flight (anywhere from 1-3 pets?). Be sure to make reservations for her.

Vet paper are required by some airlines but not others. I have never been asked for them, but always have them just in case. PM me if you have more questions.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have decided to take Izzy with us. Originally, my daughter was going to 'babysit' for us while we were gone but after a test run the other night we've vetoed that idea. My daughter has a cat that weighs almost 30 pounds and is very mean. The cat tried to grab Izzy around the neck and shake her!! We can't risk it and we knew we'd be too worried about her to enjoy our Texas vacation. So....

I called today and booked her a spot under the seat in front of me. It was $65 per one way. AirTran told me that the bag we have would be fine for her because it's a soft bag and can be squished if needed. Their only restriction is that the dog PLUS bag can't exceed 40 pounds and it must have air vents on both sides of the bag. I'm so glad our little baby will be going with us.

Now, I need lots of advice. Can I take her out of the carrier once we are in the air? What about water for her? Snacking for her during the four hour flight? It's a non stop flight from BWI to Ft. Worth. I'm surprised the airlines didn't tell me she had to have access to water.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Usually the airlines want there to be access to water, and food, but I don't think it would be a good idea. If she has to 'go' during the flight she may try to hold it and become uncomfortable, or she may just end up going in the bad and be stuck sitting with the mess for the rest of the flight. I was allowed to take Peanut out of the carrier on one flight because the people around me didn't care, but on another flight, I could only take the carrier out from under the seat and hold it in my lap. I played with Peanut throught the little 'window'.

Good luck!! Have a safe flight!!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Mar 17 2005, 07:00 PM
Now, I need lots of advice.  Can I take her out of the carrier once we are in the air?  What about water for her?  Snacking for her during the four hour flight?  It's a non stop flight from BWI to Ft. Worth.  I'm surprised the airlines didn't tell me she had to have access to water.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44123
[/QUOTE]

You are not supposed to take them out of the bag during flight, but I always do. I just cover Miko up with a blanket (my own) when the stewardess walks by. Also, how closely the rules are followed depend on personal, some are not strict all and some are very. I have flown 5-6 times with Miko and he has never been in the bag the whole flight. After the amount of money I paid to bring him, I refuse to treat him like a bag. Plus, I tend to fly on long flights from LA-> Nashville or Miami so he needs to be comfortable. I do give him a little bit of water when he is on my lap or a little piece of ice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts