Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Our little Guy is taking his first trip on a plane to Florida, and we are not sure how he will react to the plane and so on, he is 5 months old and he is a calm dog in most situations (as long as you do not have the dust buster on around him)
We spoke to the Vet and she said they are not allowed (in NJ anyway) to prescribe any type of "calming" medication to dogs for travel. The vet suggested giving him a small dose of Children's Dramamine. She said to give him a trial run before we administer it the day we are flying which is a good idea to see how he responds to it.

I wanted to see if anyone has used Children's Dramamine in this situation in the past?

I appreciate any feedback anyone can provide...thank you

A&N

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
the buttercup has flown only a handful of times. she hasnt ever had to take any sort of sedatives. our vet recommended children's benedryl. i guess it just makes them a little bit zonky, not completely out of it. the buttercup is pretty laid back and quiet most times, she was happy to just be along for the ride, i suppose. be prepared for lots of people coming up to you and the puppy, and if he is fine with that, he might be okay without any sort of sedatives.

maybe others who have flown with younger pups have other experiences to share

ann marie and the "talk to me, pet me, feed me. and all i will give you in return is my love." buttercup

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Ant Nay@Aug 10 2005, 11:37 AM
Hello All,

Our little Guy is taking his first trip on a plane to Florida, and we are not sure how he will react to the plane and so on, he is 5 months old and he is a calm dog in most situations (as long as you do not have the dust buster on around him)
We spoke to the Vet and she said they are not allowed (in NJ anyway) to prescribe any type of "calming" medication to dogs for travel. The vet suggested giving him a small dose of Children's Dramamine. She said to give him a trial run before we administer it the day we are flying which is a good idea to see how he responds to it.

I wanted to see if anyone has used Children's Dramamine in this situation in the past?

I appreciate any feedback anyone can provide...thank you

A&N
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89166
[/QUOTE]

My dogs have also never needed anything to fly. Dramamine or Benadryl would be my choice if needed. Get him use to the plane bag (feed him in it, throw treats in it, maybe work up to rides in the car in it) before hand and hopefully he'll sleep the whole time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the feedback, he is young so we are not sure how he will respond to the trip, actually we are using the same crate we use in the car for the flight...it's a Sherpa so it is approved for this airline. He goes in the crate to travel (anywhere we go) and we feed him treats in there...I am thinking he might freak being under the seat and hearing all the different noises on the plane...I will go with either of the two...thanks again
A

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Ant Nay@Aug 12 2005, 03:25 PM
Thank you for the feedback, he is young so we are not sure how he will respond to the trip, actually we are using the same crate we use in the car for the flight...it's a Sherpa so it is approved for this airline. He goes in the crate to travel (anywhere we go) and we feed him treats in there...I am thinking he might freak being under the seat and hearing all the different noises on the plane...I will go with either of the two...thanks again
A
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89940
[/QUOTE]
See if you can get seats closer to the front. Or at least someplace away from the engines. It will be less noisy. I know when I flew to San Diego our seats were right next to the engines. DANG!!!! I could hardly hear after the plan ride. It was so dang loud. My mom kept saying it sounded like a crop duster.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico flew from Florida to Texas in the cabin under the seat when he was 3 months old and has flown back and forth with me half a dozen times in the past few years and does fine every time. He's never gotten sick and even if he whines a bit, once the engines start he settles down and sleeps most of the way. (I am frequently standing on my head to peer in and see how he is doing under the seat)

I have taken him out a couple of times and let him curl up on my lap, which I know to be his favorite place in the whole world. I held a blanket up to block him a little from view of the flight attendants and they pretended not to see him when they came by. They will get fined personally if the FAA catches an animal out of its crate in flight so some attendants understandably freak out if you take them out.....you have to play it by ear.

We usually have a 30 minute layover in Dallas and I take him outside to potty just in case because between the flight to Florida, the baggage carousel and getting on the road to my daughter's house it might be another 4 hours before he can potty again so I try to keep that interval down as much as I can.

If he does whine, tossing a few cheerios in the carrier helps and while some don't give their dogs water when flying, I always give him a few sips because it is just so drying to fly. I just pour a little into the bottle cap and he laps it up.

I enjoy flying with Pico. Just watching the faces on the people who spot him when I take him out of the carrier to go through Security is fun. I also make sure that my clothing and shoes are metal-free and I don't put a halter on him to make going through security that much easier. I have a plastic zip top envelope that clips to the handle of the carrier that I slip the required health certificate from the vet into. I've NEVER been asked for them but they are handy if I ever need them. When we get to the gate I find a secluded spot and put his halter on and a leash and let him nose around a little bit until flight time.

He still gets a lot of attention but for me he's a joy to travel with.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Aug 12 2005, 06:13 PM
If he does whine, tossing a few cheerios in the carrier helps and while some don't give their dogs water when flying, I always give him a few sips because it is just so drying to fly.  I just pour a little into the bottle cap and he laps it up.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=90009
[/QUOTE]

i do that too! the buttercup sees the bottle cap and ALWAYS gives me a look that says "are you KIDDING ME?? fine. you'll just have to fill it up in .02 seconds..."

they never fail to make me laugh

ann marie and the "i'm going to learn to use a sippy cup. i am. watch me." buttercup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts