Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pixie is getting spayed on Monday and I got a rather confusing form from the vet clinic today. The form lists a bunch of different tests and treatments I can "purchase" in addition to the usual spay stuff. I'm sure the vet will explain it to me on Monday but I wanted to get everyone's feedback on what I should opt for and what they all mean before I go in. Here's what they offer:

CBC
Limited Serum Profile (Organ Screen)
Complete Serum Profile (Organ Screen)
ECG (Electrocardiogram)
Intravenous fluids

It's been forever since Tuffy was neutered so I can't remember exactly what I opted in for him. Any feedback would be very welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You want a CBC and one of the chemistry profiles. Find out what values are on each one. You can pick the lesser if it includes an ALT, ALKP, Crea, and BUN.

I like to have an IV catheter in every patient undergoing an anesthetic procedure. ECG is ideal monitoring, but honestly is not usually done on most spays/neuters or other routine surgeries on young healthy animals in most hospitals.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by JMM@Aug 5 2005, 11:35 AM
You want a CBC and one of the chemistry profiles. Find out what values are on each one. You can pick the lesser if it includes an ALT, ALKP, Crea, and BUN.

I like to have an IV catheter in every patient undergoing an anesthetic procedure. ECG is ideal monitoring, but honestly is not usually done on most spays/neuters or other routine surgeries on young healthy animals in most hospitals.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87444
[/QUOTE]
Thanks! This is just the feedback I was needing.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I guess I missed this guestion when posting my blood work question. I wasn't given any options, just wanted to make sure that the necessary blood work was done. According to my vet an IV and rhythm monitor (it's not really an EKG since it isn't a 12 lead) are standard in his practice. I was glad to know that one of his vet techs is trained in the animal equivalent of human ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) so I feel pretty confident that he is in good hands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts