Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Albino maltese?

35K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  CollageMom 
#1 ·
I have been perplexed about Molly's features for some time now. She has pale pink eyelids and lips. Her nose is normally pale pink as well but now has a little light brown on it (maybe from sunlight?). Her eyes are a pale green. Molly is just over 6 months old and is healthy.I have been trying to do some research when I discovered the discussion in this group. Molly is absolutely adorable but now I am wondering if it is possible she is an Albino? Is this rare? and are there any related health concerns?

Molly's Mom

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I think there are variations of albinos. Green eyes with no dark pigment would certainly seem to be albino. IF so, I believe sunlight is not advisable and yes, there could be other unforseen problems. I would ask the vet what he/she thinks. It could just be indiscriminate breeding of dogs with very little pigment. I have seen maltese with light brown eyes. They were not albino.

#6 ·
I always thought that the true characteristics of a purebred maltese were their black points.......black lips, paws, black noses and an eyeliner look to their eyes.
Could your dog be some of a mixed breed? I can't tell for sure on the pictures but maybe she may have some westie features cause of her ears. I'm just giving my opinion.

#10 ·
There is a big difference between a reputable breeder who carefully breeds to the Maltese standard and a backyard breeder who just puts two dogs together to produce puppies. A reputable breeder knows her lines back many generations and is very knowledgeable about genetics.

What registry is Molly registered with? If it is anything other than the AKC, you can't be sure she is purebred.

No matter where she came from, Molly is very cute and she's yours.

#9 ·
Characteristics can go way back in the pedigree. It doesn't have to look like mom and dad's pigment. Mills and BYB's often take no care in whether a dog has proper pigment before breeding.

#14 ·
Molly is adorable! Have you talked with your vet about it? As long as there isn't a health issue..... I'd love to see a closer picture of her green eyes, they sound pretty.

I remember Abbey's mother didn't have pigment around her eyes - she was a nice looking dog, but her eyes were a little scary looking. I was a bit worried Abbey would look like that, but her pigment came in better.

#19 ·
You're right Purple-peep when you click on the picture it increases in size. The picture was much clearer too when I enlarged it. She's a real cutie with nice green eyes and she looks like a Westie pup cause of her ears are straight up. That's why I think she does not have any black points.

#32 ·
Her ears had a shade of apricot (lemon) on them which has faded. I assume because she loves outside in the sun. Do you think it will come back during winter? It doesn't matter to me either way because she is such a joy. I'm afraid she has me wrapped around her little paw :( My husband was totally against getting a dog at first and now he calls her Daddy's girl and he comes home for lunch to see her. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.