Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, we've recently had threads on albino peacocks and albino roos ..... Here is an albino Maltese!! This is a case study from the Dept. of Veterinary Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.

http://www.vetsci.org/2005/pdf/361.pdf

[attachment=3622:attachment]

"External features on physical examination in a two-year
old Maltese with oculocutaneous albinism. Complete absence of
pigment resulting in white hair, pink muzzle, eyelids, oral
mucosa, skin, and foot-pads was shown."

·
Premium Member
16,777 Posts
K/C - it's so funny you should post this now. That new member we were talking about (Izzy's Mom) thinks her baby is albino, and also thinks that could be a source of her illnesses. Hope it turns out to be her, and she reads this!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
dont albinos usually have red eyes? either way its kinda scary looking :-/[/B]
albino humans have blue eyes

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Awwwwwwwwww poor little guy
and he will be so sensitive to the sun too, I don't think the true albinos live a very long life either. They are susceptable to many problems

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I have seen albino pekingnese and their eyes were blue too. I would think the same would be true of an albino maltese. I do know in the pekes they have temperment and health problems associated with albinoism. Also, in albino dogs I've seen their noses were almost white, not bright pink.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
actually true albinos eyes are red....If the animal has blue eyes, it means
that a small amount of melanin is being pproduce in the iris

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
that a small amount of melanin is being pproduce in the iris[/B]
huh...that's interesting. chris never told me that (the albino kid i went to school with) but then again, that's comparing human to animal..so i don't know if that still rings true? i know he had to wear sun screen all the time (he always smelled of coconut LOL) and he always wore sunglasses.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Hummmm......wonder why they said the Albinoism resulted in the Malt having white hair? Malts have white hair any way.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
huh...that's interesting. chris never told me that (the albino kid i went to school with) but then again, that's comparing human to animal..so i don't know if that still rings true? i know he had to wear sun screen all the time (he always smelled of coconut LOL) and he always wore sunglasses. [/B]
its the same for all species..but it is weird

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hummmm......wonder why they said the Albinoism resulted in the Malt having white hair? Malts have white hair any way.[/B]
I thought about that, too, except maybe they meant there would be no lemon color at all or any shading of color ??

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
huh...that's interesting. chris never told me that (the albino kid i went to school with) but then again, that's comparing human to animal..so i don't know if that still rings true? i know he had to wear sun screen all the time (he always smelled of coconut LOL) and he always wore sunglasses. [/B]
its the same for all species..but it is weird
[/B]
hah...i'll have to inform him he's not a true albino...

·
Registered
7,621 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
This might sound stupid but... can you tell if the puppy is an albino when its born?
[/B]

I don't think that is a silly question at all. I wouldn't know but I am sure a vet would be able to tell, perhaps the eye coloring or something or even some kind of blood work up might give that answer.

It would be hard with Maltese because of all the pink and white they have at birth I guess, perhaps as they get a little older it would become more obvious.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've read the articles posted! That could be my Izzy!! Izzy has ALL pink nose, mouth and eye rims, and paw pads, but her features are all a very pale pink. She is the whitest white with no hint of tear stains!! This could explain her lack of vision too! Izzy's eyes are dark, but not as dark as other maltese. I've often wondered if her other medical problems could be a result too. I had already discovered that Izzy is her happiest in dim lights. I've never thought about the Izzy-tude being a part of the albino features.

When I joined this forum albino maltese was my first search, but for some reason nothing came up. My daughter found this thread last night. The pictures could have been of Izzy (except Izzy's features are a paler pink)!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts