Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to ask how to keep the dog from barking at every person who walks by or children across the street playing basketball. It's driving us nuts! Also,has any of your dogs ever ate bird dropping on the sidewalk? Just wonder if it would make them sick. Harley eats anything he can find.He has been barking non-stop all day at something...........

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut used to bark at everyone too. What I did was take him out as much as possible and whenever anyone showed any interest in him I would ask if they wanted to give him a treat. Most of the time Peanut barks out of fear, so I just tried to socialize him more, and now Peanut will walk up to strangers wagging his tail expecting treats from everyone. There are still times when Peanut barks at people for no reason and I just figure, you can't expect him to like everyone
Sorry, I don't have any info about the bird poo though

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
yeah, Little C used to bark fiercely at many random people and it was embarrassing to go anywhere with her. But, I persisted because I wanted her to get used to strangers. Now, every day I'm having to plead with her to STOP trying to visit with everyone she sees. Yesterday, I was trying to get her to go up some stairs because each step was only about 1.5 inches tall. She went halfway up no problem and then a group of women appeared. She went into a whole Look-at-the-tiny-little-puppy-so-cute-too-small-to-even-climb-stairs. They all ooohed and aaahed over her and petted her and talked to her and I could swear Sir N rolled his eyes. After they left, one turned back to wave to her, but she didn't see as she was already merrily going up the stairs. The woman got a good laugh out of that. Then, as we were heading home, she suddenly started barking at this man across the street. She wouldn't stop and I was about to pick her up to make her stop when he ducked into a building.
I thought she had outgrown this because it's been months since the last I'm-gonna-pick-on-that-person-too-far-away-to-do-anything-about-it episode.

but anyway, one thing that helped me was carrying a bunch of tiny treats with me when out walking with her. Anyone who looked interested in her got asked to give her a treat. So now, although she hasn't gotten anything from strangers since we left the island, she is still super pleased to see people--even kids.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by Harleysmom@Apr 8 2005, 04:34 PM
Also,has any of your dogs ever ate bird dropping on the sidewalk? Just wonder if it would make them sick. Harley eats anything he can find.He has been barking non-stop all day at something...........

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50617
[/QUOTE]

well um,
Miss Phoebe is, shall we say a Poo Connoisseur

I did not want to bring it up because I think everyone is tired of all the talk of POO BUT YES!!! She likes the bird poo too
Sick gag barf gross!!! I just plan to keep her in my sights and always have tissue in hand. jee, I was getting so depressed over that and now I am like ah well a snack just leave me alone I have to pretend this isnt happening!!!

Good luck with that and the barking!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry+Apr 8 2005, 08:49 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Harleysmom
@Apr 8 2005, 04:34 PM
Also,has any of your dogs ever ate bird dropping on the sidewalk? Just wonder if it would make them sick. Harley eats anything he can find.He has been barking non-stop all day at something...........

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50617
well um,
Miss Phoebe is, shall we say a Poo Connoisseur

I did not want to bring it up because I think everyone is tired of all the talk of POO BUT YES!!! She likes the bird poo too
Sick gag barf gross!!! I just plan to keep her in my sights and always have tissue in hand. jee, I was getting so depressed over that and now I am like ah well a snack just leave me alone I have to pretend this isnt happening!!!

Good luck with that and the barking!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50698
[/B][/QUOTE]

I would be careful about the bird poo... isn't there a possibility it could have diseases in it ?

That is just so weird that she has such an appetite for poo!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Originally posted by NC's Mom@Apr 8 2005, 07:27 PM
yeah, Little C used to bark fiercely at many random people and it was embarrassing to go anywhere with her.  But, I persisted because I wanted her to get used to strangers.  Now, every day I'm having to plead with her to STOP trying to visit with everyone she sees.  Yesterday, I was trying to get her to go up some stairs because each step was only about 1.5 inches tall.  She went halfway up no problem and then a group of women appeared.  She went into a whole Look-at-the-tiny-little-puppy-so-cute-too-small-to-even-climb-stairs.  They all ooohed and aaahed over her and petted her and talked to her and I could swear Sir N rolled his eyes.  After they left, one turned back to wave to her, but she didn't see as she was already merrily going up the stairs.  The woman got a good laugh out of that.  Then, as we were heading home, she suddenly started barking at this man across the street.  She wouldn't stop and I was about to pick her up to make her stop when he ducked into a building. 
  I thought she had outgrown this because it's been months since the last I'm-gonna-pick-on-that-person-too-far-away-to-do-anything-about-it episode.

but anyway, one thing that helped me was carrying a bunch of tiny treats with me when out walking with her.  Anyone who looked interested in her got asked to give her a treat.  So now, although she hasn't gotten anything from strangers since we left the island, she is still super pleased to see people--even kids.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50661
[/QUOTE]

About two months ago we had a yound girl kidnapped and killed about 5 miles from my house. They had a dog(weinerdog) that did not bark when the man sneeked into her house so I have been thinking maybe that dog was taught not to bark. However there has to be a happy medium somewhere, Buddy barks at everything he see too, but I look at him and say "hush" and he stops most of the time, if that does not work I usually go to a "no bark", but I have learned that it makes no sence to a dog to tell him to stop barking by yelling at him, he will just try to get louder than you. I think that the best you could ask for is a dog that is friendly with people, but will bark at any dangerous or suspicious noise at night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts