Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to take the rescued babies to the vet today. They all got a good report too.
I did have a question for my vet reqarding my little Malt that had been scratching ever since I had applied the reveloution last week. I usually use frontline. He said that he had not known of a reaction in the past, but it is possible for a dog not to have been allergic in the past to suddenly become allergic. He said that he had a dog in the back that was about to pass away after taking his routine heartworm med. He had taken the same med for 4 years and this time he may not live from the same medication. He said he always questioned the flea meds that claimed to kill or cure so much with the same application also, he said that was allot to put in a small dogs system at one time. He told me to give her benedryl first. It does seem to help the itching. I did bathe her again last night.
I am getting afraid of all those meds. I know I hate fleas.
Cathy

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by clmaltese@Oct 18 2005, 09:22 PM
I had to take the rescued babies to the vet today.  They all got a good report too. 
I did have a question for my vet reqarding my little Malt that had been scratching ever since I had applied the reveloution last week.  I usually use frontline.  He said that he had not known of a reaction in the past, but it is possible for a dog not to have been allergic in the past to suddenly become allergic.  He said that he had a dog in the back that was about to pass away after taking his routine heartworm med.  He had taken the same med for 4 years and this time he may not live from the same medication.  He said he always questioned the flea meds that claimed to kill or cure so much with the same application also, he said that was allot to put in a small dogs system at one time.  He told me to give her benedryl first.  It does seem to help the itching.  I did bathe her again last night. 
I am getting afraid of all those meds.  I know I hate fleas.
Cathy
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111120
[/QUOTE]

Yikes, that is scary about the dog possibly dying from heartworm medicine. Did your vet say which medicine it was?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
This is very scary. Remember a few weeks ago when Sadie was so sick the day after her heartworm treatment? I am really worried now. I live in a part of the country where mosquitos live year round so I must give my girls heartworm treatments. I would like more info if you get the time......

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
A couple of years ago Frosty had a bad reaction to Heartguard Plus and ended up in the hospital on IV's for 2 days. I thought he was going to die! He had used it since it came out when he was a young thing without much more than an upset stomach. Our vet had, for years, had me just cut a small slice off the regular dose for the smallest dogs. Even though he weighs 10 lbs. That helped-----then after 10 years he almost died. They had me stop giving it and just do a blood test every year. Our area is also very low for heartworm, but we do travel to areas where he would more likely get it sometimes in summer.

I hate all the chemicals we use on pets and use them as lightly as I think I can without causing more problems. I only use Frontline TopSpot in the summer, and never would double up with also using the spray or other flea products. Especially on puppies. Course I only have 1 dog! and no cats. If I had a house full I would probably be using more means to control, since even thinking about bugs makes me itch! :new_Eyecrazy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts