Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we were at the vet for Tucker's ear infection, we got onto the topic of allergies. I told the vet that sometimes Tuck makes snorting sounds. He asked if he ever chews on his feet, and I said yes sometimes. I asked if he thought it might be allergies. He said that ear infections, chewing feet and the snorting are all typical signs of allergies. He said I could try giving him some childrens benadryl. He said that he also has some other things we could try if the benadryl didn't help. He said he thinks Tucker is too young for allergy testing right now. I don't think he has allergies bad (of course I'm not a doc). He doesn't chew his feet a lot just every now and then. This is his first (and hopefully only) ear infection. The snorting bugs me more than anything, although it doesn't seem to bother him. Also he does that reverse sneezing sound occasionally. That scares me too, but it only lasts a few seconds. Has anyone ever given your dog benadryl. Tucker didn't really like it (who can blame him). Then I tried mixing it in some peanut butter, which he loves, and he ate it all. But I don't know it mixing it with PB is good. Will it still have the same effect this way?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Mixing it will pb is fine. You can also try cheese. I do this sometimes with Lexi. You can also have you vet show you how to give the pill to her by putting it in her mouth. They showed us how to do this at a training class I took. We used Skittles to practice with.

Lexi was chewing on her paws a lot last fall and then vet said I could give her some children's benadryl when I noticed her chewing on them. It helped a little.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lexi's mom. My vet told me to get the liquid benadryl, which by the way isn't too pretty mixed with PB, but Tucker ate it. I was gonna ask him when we went back if I could get the pills instead. I usually have better luck with pills. Did you use the childrens chewable tablets?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by TuckersMom@Aug 1 2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks Lexi's mom.  My vet told me to get the liquid benadryl, which by the way isn't too pretty mixed with PB, but Tucker ate it.  I was gonna ask him when we went back if I could get the pills instead.  I usually have better luck with pills.  Did you use the childrens chewable tablets?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86380
[/QUOTE]
Yeah I give Lexi the chewable pills. She gets a half a pill I think. My vet said 1mg for every 1lb.

With the liquid you might be able to have someone hold Tucker still with you give him the liquid. Might get a little messy though.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Aug 1 2005, 09:51 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-TuckersMom
@Aug 1 2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks Lexi's mom.  My vet told me to get the liquid benadryl, which by the way isn't too pretty mixed with PB, but Tucker ate it.  I was gonna ask him when we went back if I could get the pills instead.  I usually have better luck with pills.   Did you use the childrens chewable tablets?
Yeah I give Lexi the chewable pills. She gets a half a pill I think. My vet said 1mg for every 1lb.

With the liquid you might be able to have someone hold Tucker still with you give him the liquid. Might get a little messy though.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86382
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yes, very messy. I really would prefer the chewable pill. Tucker does not like to keep his head still. It's been a real challenge just to get his medicine in his ears, so I really don't want to have to force benadryl down his throat too. I swear I feel like I'm traumatizing the baby. I'll definitely ask my vet about the chewables instead of liquid.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by TuckersMom+Aug 1 2005, 10:12 AM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 1 2005, 09:51 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-TuckersMom
@Aug 1 2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks Lexi's mom.  My vet told me to get the liquid benadryl, which by the way isn't too pretty mixed with PB, but Tucker ate it.  I was gonna ask him when we went back if I could get the pills instead.  I usually have better luck with pills.  Did you use the childrens chewable tablets?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86382

[/QUOTE]
Yes, very messy. I really would prefer the chewable pill. Tucker does not like to keep his head still. It's been a real challenge just to get his medicine in his ears, so I really don't want to have to force benadryl down his throat too. I swear I feel like I'm traumatizing the baby. I'll definitely ask my vet about the chewables instead of liquid.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86386
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah with the chewable you can crush them up into little pieces and add a little chunky pb. THey have no idea they are eating meds. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts