Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Paris has been on the food trial since July 2. She has gotten better but she still scratches, chews, and licks herself. We are going in on Wednesday to have the allergy testing done. My question is, has anyone here had the allergy testing done? Just exactly what will they do and how do they know what to test for? We are having to travel to Dallas so I haven't actually gotten to talk to the vet, only his techs. I'm sure Paris will be fine, I'm just wondering what all will happen. She can't eat anything in the morning and they said she will probably be drowsy all day from what they give her to help calm her down. They did tell me that I will be there with her through the testing procedure holding her head and talking to her which made me feel better.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
A co-worker had her little Yorkie Angel tested and it is pretty much like what they do to humans, inject possible allergens into the skin to see if there is a reaction.

I've had it done several times and it's not a thrill. The "sticks" sting and the itching will drive you crazy if you have a reaction - like being bitten by mosquitoes.

Good thing they will sedate Paris.

You may need sedation, too. As I recall, it was close to $600 for Angel's allergy testing here in Raleigh, NC.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 12 2005, 02:59 PM
You may need sedation, too. As I recall, it was close to $600 for Angel's allergy testing here in Raleigh, NC.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98854
[/QUOTE]
yeah, they told me it would be a little over $500, which includes six months worth of injections.

p.s. Marj, I had all of my daughter's cheerleaders over at the house last Friday for dinner before the game and had one of Paris' new bows in. She was the hit of the party!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
You may need sedation, too. As I recall, it was close to $600 for Angel's allergy testing here in Raleigh, NC[/B]
I had that done to my late lhasa apso something about 18 years ago. It costed me 500 $ at that time. And it did not help. We tried the desensitizing shots and instead of getting better it got worse. I would not do it again and I don't recommend it. My vet at the time did not recommend it and later said "I told you so" but I thought my baby deserved better. Let's face it, even if they find what he is allergic to and you cannot keep it away, what are you going to do ? it won't change anything. They still have nothing today to cure allergies. All you can do is give him something to keep him more comfortable. Sorry I don't mean to discourage you.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Well, I just found out that Little C is getting tested to see if she has allergies, not specifically what she is allergic to, like I originally thought. If that turns up positive, then the next step is another kind of test that involves sending something or another to America to get results. That's the one that specifies what she is allergic to. But, I'm not really sure how that works. I thought it was pricey at $300, but after reading the posts in this thread, well, I feel lucky. :D

The vet here has started carrying natural balance allergy formula, so at least there will be food available if she turns out to be allergic to just about everything. Yay....maybe I WON'T have to prepare dead animal flesh for her! :D :D He opened a bag and gave me some as a sample, and she LIKES it! *whew*

What I'm upset about now is greenies. Actually, the Nylabone version of them as that is what the vet carries. Little C LOVES them. And, I just read the ingredients and they have wheat. With her luck, she'll turn out to be allergic to wheat.

I figure she's allergic to wheat and corn. I've given her straight rice before, and I think that if she were allergic, she'd have a pretty big reaction pretty quickly. Same thing with soy: she loves to eat tofu and drink soy milk and I think there would be an immediate, big reaction if she were allergic to soy.

Now, my only worry is....if it turns out to NOT be allergies, what on earth could be causing her problems?? (can't be stress...she CAUSES stress (to Sir N)....she doesn't suffer from it.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't take Paris to get tested today. She is so much better just on the food trial and I really didn't want to put her through that just yet. She is mainly scratching around her ears and licking on her paws now but not near the degree she was. I took her to a different vet yesterday afternoon. He took a sample from her ear and between her toes (other vet never did this). Everything was fine. He gave me some MalAcetic Otic for her ears and some Temaril P to take for 10 days. He didn't find any signs of anything and said she looked good. I am going to try giving her different foods. He said that if she is allergic to it, it will be an almost immediate reaction, within 12-24 hours. He did say that we may have to go ahead with the testing but for now he wanted to try this stuff.

Now I have a question and I know it is going to sound really stupid, but...having never been around indoor dogs before how often do they scratch themselves if they are "normal"?

·
Registered
994 Posts
my vet gave me calamastine for maxi he has allgeries in the month of may
he didnt test him he went by his records from last may when i brought him in for the same symptoms once he took it he was better

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Difficult to tell you how much they scratch. We scratch ourself too. Maybe you can use that as a comparison. I would call abnormal the scratching and especially licking on the same place for a long time. If they lick themself open to the flesh, that's not normal. The color of the skin can also change and start smelling. My lhasa's pink color changed to black and was smelly. He had horrible allergies all year around. When that test came back, he was allergic to almost everything on that test.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She will stop scratching or licking when I make her stop. Her skin/hair has not changed color. Someone here at work told me that her puppy used to scratch/lick himself all the time. Now that he's older he doesn't do it any more. With her telling me that and your post yesterday MalteseJane, I just couldn't put her through it. Plus, I talked to her breeder yesterday and she said that Paris' mom or dad do not suffer from allergies.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You can try an elimination diet for Paris that will be easier on her and on your wallet!

http://allergies.about.com/cs/canine/a/aa091800a.htm

Dr. Mike recommends trying Hills z/d to see if a dog has food allergies.

The problem with determining if food allergies are present is that dogs
are usually allergic to only one ingredient, or to a small number of
ingredients -- not to the whole diet. So the problem becomes isolating
the food that is causing the problem.

This has traditionally been done by making a diet that is composed of
foods that a dog has never eaten before. Since food allergies are thought to
occur only to foods that the dog has been sensitized to, there should
not be an allergic reaction to a food that has not been eaten previously. An
early diet to achieve this purpose was lamb and rice but now both of
these ingredients are used in other dog foods and so this combination is less
likely to be helpful. More exotic protein sources like ostrich meat,
alligator meat, duck, venison, rabbit, etc. are usually used and potato,
peas and rice (still) are sometimes used as the carbohydrate source. A
homemade diet with these ingredients and no supplemental calcium or
vitamins will be deficient as a long term diet but is usually OK for
short term use in adult dogs or cats.

A newer approach is to use a diet composed of artificially created very
low molecular weight proteins. The reason for this is that proteins below a
certain molecular weight are thought to be incapable of causing food
allergies. Hills z/d &#153; diet and Purinas HA &#153; diet are made from
hydrolyzed proteins. These diets should be a very good choice for
determining if a food allergy is present and should be more reliable
than novel protein diets, at least in theory. They are relatively new diets,
though.

If clinical signs disappear while your dogs are on the diets, which may
take 8 weeks or more, then it is reasonable to assume a food allergy is
present (although with approaching winter it will be hard to totally
rule out inhalant allergies or atopy).

Food ingredients such as beef, chicken, milk, wheat, corn, etc. are
added back into the diet one at a time to see if clinical signs return. If and
when they do, it is reasonable to assume that the ingredient being added
at the time is the cause. Future diets shouldn't include this ingredient.

It is a really good idea to rule out food allergies when itchiness
persists for a long time, so choosing to do a food trial to rule out food allergy
is a good option.

Mike Richards, DVM

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Marj. Hill's was one of the many foods I have tried. I didn't like it. Paris didn't get any better on it. She has been eating IVD venison and potatoe since July 2. She loves it! It has helped a lot. I just don't know enough to determine if she is "normal" with her scratching/itching or not.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Did you read the other post on allergies ? If both parents are allergy free there is a good chance that Paris is too. I don't remember how old Paris is, but skin allergies normally start around 2 years of age. I suspect that ear infections are a first sign that a dog could get other allergies. If they start licking their paws non stop around 5 in the morning it is also a good sign of allergies. Most allergies are air born or contact. The food or shampoo is seldom the culprit.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well actually food allergies are a lot more common than once thought. there isnt a good way to test for food allergies and so it was hard to diagnose. but now with all the new limited diets, they are finding that there are more dogs out there with allergies. also shots can work...so if she still has probs..i would give it a shot...ive seen it do wonderful things. there are some dogs that dont respond to the shots ...like 1 out of 6 dogs. but its a blessing when it does work

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Paris will be 11 months old on the 18th. This has been going on since she was about three months old.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts