Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is almost 6 months old and she have been with us since Sep 4th.

If you remember ( or not J), back in July when I first posted, I was having my doubts about getting a dog, since I work full time. I agonized over it for months, but then both me and my DD really wanted a dog, and finally I thought that yes, it is not ideal for the dog to be left alone, but it also not ideal for kids to be raised by nannies instead of their mother, but working full time did not stop me form having kids. So I decided I would take a chance with a dog and we will find a way to make this work.
I”m so glad I did. She is wonderful! Just totally incredible dog. How could such a small, fluffy creature pack so much affection, liveliness, good will and I don’t know – goodness? She is so totally loving and trusting! There is not a mean or aggressive bone in her body. She likes people, sweet and patient with kids, playful and friendly with other dogs. She just love the whole world.
And she is brilliant. I mean – I remember post here sometimes ago discussing whether Maltese were intelligent breed. Well, if all of them are like Maggie, I’d say that Maltese are smarter than some of our elected officials. She got housebroken in 2 weeks, she learned to pee on command in 2 days!! And in Russian, mind you J. She knows tons of commands already ( and I did not specifically trained her, she just learned)
I had to make a confession to you ladies. Back to when I was reading the forum, while I was still researching the breed, I kind of thought that some of you go a bit over the top with your adoration of your dogs, but now I totally get where are you coming from. There is really something special about Maltese.
I have to say – I think she is a tremendous credit to her breeder – Dian from Midis Maltese. She obviously knows what she is doing. Maggie’s personality is just perfect. And while I was prepared to put up with a lot of day to day grooming , she is amazingly easy to deal with. I”m a working mother, so I”m not up to elaborate hair care for my kids OR my dog, but Maggie never mats, does not have any tear stains and looks lovely with once a 2 weeks bath. Perfect dog, seriously!!
So, here we are. As you can see - I’m totally besotted with my little dog :) My daugther adores her, and my BF who is your 100% opposite of a dog lover even admits that she is very cute – “for a dog” J
I have to say that there is not a doubt in my mind that the reason that I ended up with Maltese is this forum. I learned so much here. About the breed, the personality, habits. Not buy a dog from BYB, how to find a good breeder, the names of the good breedersJ What to feed, how to paper train. Which pee pads to choose J, what books to read... You name it, I learned it from you ladies. Thank you so very much.
I am so glad so I have this forum to ask many questions that I know I will have :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Welcome back to SM!
Maggie is just a DOLL! :wub::wub: she is SOO ADORABLE. Thank you so much for sharing with us :D we LOVE puppy pictures!!
I'm glad to hear that you took a leap of faith and everything worked out superb :):)

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
What a sweet and precious face she has. Congratulations! :wub: Get ready to buy those pink dresses, and matching bows. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Maggie is so precious. I love that little face and I love her name. So cute!!

Congrats on becoming a pup mom. It's pretty fun and wonderful. :happy:

Welcome!

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Welcome to Maggie (we did welcome you already Deb:) She is a little princess. What a face. :wub::wub: How can you not be totally in love with her. Thank you for doing your homework and being concerned about your situation, taking guidance and preparing for your new addition. Maggie sounds like a real winner. Hope you'll be an active member and share more pix of her. I can imagine she is going to get spoiled big time for the holidays. :chili: Just a guess.:innocent: The help this forum gave to you is the same help that I got when I looked for Tyler. What a godsend:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey Debby... Just noticing that Maggie has cute lil tan markings on her face. Is she a purebred? Just curious. Considering you are a new Malt Mom you might not be super knowledgeable in this area but maybe someone else can jump in, too.

One of my pups, Tiger Lily, has similar tan/buff/taupe colored markings on her ears and shoulders. My vet asked if she was a designer mix because she had never seen a Maltese with any coloring except white but I thought I had read online that buff or lemon markings were acceptable and sometimes even desirable.

Anyway, I said it before but again, your Maggie has a precious little face! :) And it makes me laugh that she's smarter than most elected officials... hahaha... and wait, does your pup really know Russian? :)

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Hey Debby... Just noticing that Maggie has cute lil tan markings on her face. Is she a purebred? Just curious. Considering you are a new Malt Mom you might not be super knowledgeable in this area but maybe someone else can jump in, too.

One of my pups, Tiger Lily, has similar tan/buff/taupe colored markings on her ears and shoulders. She is also purebred, although not registered. My vet asked if she was a designer mix because she had never seen a Maltese with any coloring except white but I thought I had read online that buff or lemon markings were acceptable and sometimes even desirable.
Why would you ask if she is purebred when she comes from a show breeder? It is actually a bit insulting, IMO. The 'tan' markings I see on her face look like food stains.

Tan, buff or lemon is 'acceptable' on puppies. It won't even get you disqualified from the ring if you have an adult with color. it's really not a huge deal and usually accompanies good pigment.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Why would you ask if she is purebred when she comes from a show breeder? The 'tan' markings I see on her face look like food stains.

Tan, buff or lemon is 'acceptable' on puppies. It won't even get you disqualified from the ring if you have an adult with color. it's really not a huge deal and usually accompanies good pigment.
:goodpost:

·
Registered
198 Posts
My apologies. I didn't mean to insult anyone and I am sincerely sorry if it sounded that way. I reread it and yeah, I could see how you didn't get the intent behind it. I wasn't implying at all that I thought her dog was NOT purebred, I was just confirming that she WAS because that would have meant that I was right about the coloring being acceptable.

I don't show my pups and I didn't read anywhere in her post that her Maggie came from a show breeder. She just sounded like she had found a professional and reputable breeder that was able to provide her with the perfect puppy to add to her family. No offense intended, sorry.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
My apologies. I didn't mean to insult anyone and I am sincerely sorry if it sounded that way. I reread it and yeah, I could see how you didn't get the intent behind it. I wasn't implying at all that I thought her dog was NOT purebred, I was just confirming that she WAS because that would have meant that I was right about the coloring being acceptable.

I don't show my pups and I didn't read anywhere in her post that her Maggie came from a show breeder. She just sounded like she had found a professional and reputable breeder that was able to provide her with the perfect puppy to add to her family. No offense intended, sorry.
Gotcha.

It's a touchy subject. We had long standing members banned because someone asked a member if her dog was a maltipoo and whoa. It caused a major kerfluffle and hurt feelings all around, and members were banned because of how heated it got. (more to the story, but that is it in a nutshell)

What exactly is a professional breeder?

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts

If you remember ( or not J), back in July when I first posted, I was having my doubts about getting a dog, since I work full time. I agonized over it for months, but then both me and my DD really wanted a dog, and finally I thought that yes, it is not ideal for the dog to be left alone, but it also not ideal for kids to be raised by nannies instead of their mother, but working full time did not stop me form having kids. So I decided I would take a chance with a dog and we will find a way to make this work.
I”m so glad I did. She is wonderful! Just totally incredible dog. How could such a small, fluffy creature pack so much affection, liveliness, good will and I don’t know – goodness? She is so totally loving and trusting! There is not a mean or aggressive bone in her body. She likes people, sweet and patient with kids, playful and friendly with other dogs. She just love the whole world.
And she is brilliant. I mean – I remember post here sometimes ago discussing whether Maltese were intelligent breed. Well, if all of them are like Maggie, I’d say that Maltese are smarter than some of our elected officials. She got housebroken in 2 weeks, she learned to pee on command in 2 days!! And in Russian, mind you J. She knows tons of commands already ( and I did not specifically trained her, she just learned)
I had to make a confession to you ladies. Back to when I was reading the forum, while I was still researching the breed, I kind of thought that some of you go a bit over the top with your adoration of your dogs, but now I totally get where are you coming from. There is really something special about Maltese.
I have to say – I think she is a tremendous credit to her breeder – Dian from Midis Maltese. She obviously knows what she is doing. Maggie’s personality is just perfect. And while I was prepared to put up with a lot of day to day grooming , she is amazingly easy to deal with. I”m a working mother, so I”m not up to elaborate hair care for my kids OR my dog, but Maggie never mats, does not have any tear stains and looks lovely with once a 2 weeks bath. Perfect dog, seriously!!
So, here we are. As you can see - I’m totally besotted with my little dog :) My daugther adores her, and my BF who is your 100% opposite of a dog lover even admits that she is very cute – “for a dog” J
I have to say that there is not a doubt in my mind that the reason that I ended up with Maltese is this forum. I learned so much here. About the breed, the personality, habits. Not buy a dog from BYB, how to find a good breeder, the names of the good breedersJ What to feed, how to paper train. Which pee pads to choose J, what books to read... You name it, I learned it from you ladies. Thank you so very much.
I am so glad so I have this forum to ask many questions that I know I will have :)

She is a little doll! who are her parents? I probably have relatives here!

I agree with what you said about this forum - if it wasn't for SM, I wouldn't be showing or breeding. Not sure my hubby is as appreciative :thumbsup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I meant professional in mannerism not professional like in it for profit. Urgh. I'm in school in the medical field and we are drilled about being "professional"... you know, ethical, reputable, accountable, responsible, competent... I guess when talking about breeders, professional would not exactly be a compliment. :blush:

Again, I did not mean any offense at all and I would have worded it more carefully if I would have known how touchy of a subject it was. I was actually sort of excited. I have yet to see a Maltese on this site that is in any way less than gorgeous but this was the first time I really noticed the tan looking markings and it did remind me of my Tiger Lily and I just wanted to see if anyone had ever implied that the coloring made her pup somehow less than perfect...? I was a tad insulted when my vet suggested that so I can see how it was possible to get it misconstrued. :(

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts

[/FONT]

As you can see she did mention the breeder Midis - as far as I know a well respected show breeder. I think she's a beautiful girl and my Tyler has a little lemon going on and he's quite purebred but mostly the sweetest guy I've ever known:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, I did see the Midis mention but that didn't mean anything to me, seeing as how I do not show Maltese, nor am I familiar with Maltese show breeders. I suppose I could have googled it quickly but I thought part of being here was gaining information from people who knew firsthand. :)

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I meant professional in mannerism not professional like in it for profit. Urgh. I'm in school in the medical field and we are drilled about being "professional"... you know, ethical, reputable, accountable, responsible, competent... I guess when talking about breeders, professional would not exactly be a compliment. :blush:

Again, I did not mean any offense at all and I would have worded it more carefully if I would have known how touchy of a subject it was. I was actually sort of excited. I have yet to see a Maltese on this site that is in any way less than gorgeous but this was the first time I really noticed the tan looking markings and it did remind me of my Tiger Lily and I just wanted to see if anyone had ever implied that the coloring made her pup somehow less than perfect...? I was a tad insulted when my vet suggested that so I can see how it was possible to get it misconstrued. :(
I can't believe your vet asked you that! No wonder you were insulted!! I would be too.

Many maltese puppies have tan on them, so yes, your little one isnt' the only one!

My girl Lois looked like a dalmation as a new born

look at how many tan spots she had

12 weeks old, still a bunch of color spots

a year old, no more color

Not all color fades though, but even if it doesn't, as I said, it won't get you disqualified. some judges may not overlook it though, but you wont' be asked to leave the ring, you just won't win.

I have had people try to tell me that coat color means that they aren't bred well. Not true!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Yes, I did see the Midis mention but that didn't mean anything to me, seeing as how I do not show Maltese, nor am I familiar with Maltese show breeders. I suppose I could have googled it quickly but I thought part of being here was gaining information from people who knew firsthand. :)
There was a thread yesterday asking about Midis
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/56-breeders/109415-midis-maltese.html

When I first joined, I had idea about different breeders and who had what lines, etc. Breeders are mentioned a lot though on this forum so it didn't take me long to be 'introduced' to many of them through SM

·
Registered
198 Posts
I didn't think that was true either but it's nice to know as fact! :) I was insulted but I am not completely writing that vet off as incompetent. She is very smart and has a wonderful manner with the pups. I am going to dismiss it as lack of experience with purebred Maltese? We do live in a small country town... Most passer-by's comment on how cute the pups are and when they ask what breed they are, they usually appear to have never heard of a Maltese.

Those are all pictures of Lois? What a beautiful, beautiful pup. I love the little mousey-sized baby pups but they are just waaaaaaaaaaay to cute in that puppy stage. Lois at four months is absolutely precious. Look at that face!

I wonder if Tiger Lily will lose her coloring too?

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I didn't think that was true either but it's nice to know as fact! :) I was insulted but I am not completely writing that vet off as incompetent. She is very smart and has a wonderful manner with the pups. I am going to dismiss it as lack of experience with purebred Maltese? We do live in a small country town... Most passer-by's comment on how cute the pups are and when they ask what breed they are, they usually appear to have never heard of a Maltese.

Those are all pictures of Lois? What a beautiful, beautiful pup. I love the little mousey-sized baby pups but they are just waaaaaaaaaaay to cute in that puppy stage. Lois at four months is absolutely precious. Look at that face!

I wonder if Tiger Lily will lose her coloring too?
yes, those were all pics of Lois. She just had a litter of puppies and her pups have a bit of coat color too (which I'm not going to stress over) It's definitely not something I look at when I decide if I'm going to keep a puppy for show.

Tiger Lily may or may not lose the tan/buff, it really just depends. Often it grows out.

to the OP, I had to laugh when you said you thought members here went overboard on their dogs - but now you totally get it. I feel the same way! Never used to be a little dog person - until I got my first maltese.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts