Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:blink::blink::blink: I will be 60 years old this Fall and feeling quite DUMB...:brownbag: concerning computers... is there any HELP for people like me? Is there anyone else who has felt this way? I know just enough to get frustrated! :smpullhair: I hate being a nuisance to friends and relatives who could help me...my only good helper retired and lives far away in NC on a sailing boat now... I told her I needed a clone of her in my closet. Took the best pictures 2 weeks ago of when my Maltese friend visited with my Paula in Pink's 2 sisters.. and was ready to start a thread titled "sister visit" and for the weirdest reason... my computer won't allow me to do anything now with my pictures as far as sending or uploading (even that word I am not sure if it is the correct way to say it and that makes me feel dumb!) It has to do with my provider email account that appears to no longer EXIST !!:smpullhair::smpullhair: Please advise or console...and I can take correction...ANYTHING to change this part of my life!!! :blink:

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I know the feeling of getting to the big 6-0!!! I'm a little ahead of you in age and it is a big "yikes"!!

I love technology and have figured out most stuff. The main thing is just not to be afraid of it and just dive in!!

Regarding your problem... who is your internet service provider? I think I know how to fix your problem if it is Road Runner ... let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sher.... My provider is Mediacom and I called them yesterday and waiting for a return call to "walk" me through the problem.. Here is the real embarrassment... even the computer word lingo is so so foreign to me..But I need to swallow my pride and push through all this and see if there is a Book for dummies and computers? My youngest sister did just what you advise... and would be the best helper to me.. Yet she has 2 jobs so I don't want to be a nuisance to her. Maybe my better years are ahead.. with this challenge!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
People used to think I was very computer savvy......until they all caught up with me....now I'm back to being dumb again. :blink:

Good luck. You can e-mail your pictures to me and I'd post them for you if you'd like.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Jeanne - I know just how you feel (I'm 58 so just about there) :w00t: and here are my suggestions. When my computer died my DS talked me into getting a Mac. This was last October. When I went to the store they offered One on One sessions. For $99 you get one on one counseling about your computer for a full year...it was supposed to be once a week and then they opened it up to any time you could book an appt on line. My son tried to talk me out of it saying he would help me - yea his help is doing it quickly and saying "There!" rather than slowly showing me how to do it. :smpullhair: Now I'm not saying you need a new computer or a Mac (which still makes me crazy having been a PC person forever) but I go to these sessions and these young, and not so young, computer whizzes take the time to show me and most important have me do what they teach me myself in front of them.:thumbsup: It's been an amazing service and I used it a lot, stopped for a while and recently went back when I needed some iMovie help in editing. I am so sold on it and it's only $99 a year. If anyone here gets a Mac I would highly recommend it.
BUT for those without Macs - sign up for lessons. We have them at a church up the corner (where I take knitting lessons), a community college, other schools, etc. It's so worthwhile and easier than reading a manual. I'm still not fabulous on the computer but have come such a long way and even enjoyed it. Good luck.:aktion033:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Most universities offer basic computer classes in their adult education learning extension programs. Also, most communities have at least one computer store or learning center that offers low-cost basic classes. Also, there are online classes you can take, and online forums that help, too.

Many of us in the over-50 crowd have been in that same boat. I learned mostly from trying things on my own. Of course, a lot of it was mis-steps and it took a long while to learn what I know (which isn't much, lol.) I hope you can find a way to learn that suits you.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Same here,we didn't have computer..I typed all my abstracts,term papers on a typewritter... I learned a lot of what (little ) I know by trial and error or as my hubby calls it "fuss and cuss". We have classes in basic computer useage at our local community college and vocational schools offer classes. I need to take some someday top learn HTML.
Check around for classes at places that sell computers too.
My mom took a basic class on computers at our local tech shool and she really learned a lot..I should'a took that class.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Don't feel dumb. I think all of us feel that way sometimes. Here is a list of things you know all about that the youngsters will never understand!!

1. Inserting a VHS tape into a VCR to watch a movie or to record something.
2. Super-8 movies.
3. That there was a time before ‘reality TV.’
4. Finding out information from an encyclopedia.
5. Using a road atlas to get from A to B.
6. Doing bank business only when the bank is open.
7. Shopping only during the day, Monday to Saturday.
8. Phone books and Yellow Pages.
9. Newspapers and magazines made from dead trees.
10. Not knowing exactly what all of your friends are doing and thinking at every moment.
11. Carrying on a correspondence with real letters, especially the handwritten kind.
12. Typewriters.
13. Putting film in your camera
14. Sending that film away to be processed.
15. Having physical prints of photographs come back to you.
16. Getting lost. (No GPS)
17. Rotary-dial telephones.
18. Answering machines.
19. Using a stick to point at information on a wallchart
20. Pay phones.
21. Phones with actual bells in them.
22. Vacuum cleaners with bags in them
23. Taking turns picking a radio station, or selecting a tape, for everyone to listen to during a long drive.
24. Remembering someone’s phone number.
25. Not knowing who was calling you on the phone.
26. Neat handwriting
27. Starbuck being a man.
28. Trig tables and log tables.
29. Slide Ruler
30. Finding books in a card catalog at the library.
31. Writing a check.
32. Cash.
33. Libraries as a place to get books rather than a place to use the internet.

And I am sure the list is much longer!! We all know a ton of stuff that the kids are clueless about! So pat youself on the back for being so dang smart!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
First of all, DON'T feel dumb!!!! Secondly I am so dang glad to see some of us older gals on here! I always felt like a fool bein 58 and getting dogs! I am 60 also and I have been where you are! First of all the word "upload" ...sounds to me like you are using that word right so see there is progress. I had lots of people help me via email and I know just enough to be dangerous but we learn new things every day! I will be pulling my hair out on trying to upload pics to this site also. I'll give ya all something to laugh about...get ready to be in half laughing...my DETECTIVE cousin sent me pics some 10 years ago and wanted me to put them on my desk top...I was sittin here starring at the computer and replied,"I don't think I have one!"...and when I was supposed to take the motem in to the fix it store...10 years ago I took in the key board!! So like...HELLO?????? If it were me I would have the internet provider walk you through it. I am not sure how to fix your problem or I would help. Mean time there was a person who offered to post your pics if you could send them to her...I'd do that till ya figure out your problem. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Don't feel dumb. I think all of us feel that way sometimes. Here is a list of things you know all about that the youngsters will never understand!!

2. Super-8 movies.
10. Not knowing exactly what all of your friends are doing and thinking at every moment.
11. Carrying on a correspondence with real letters, especially the handwritten kind.
12. Typewriters.
18. Answering machines.
20. Pay phones.
23. Taking turns picking a radio station, or selecting a tape, for everyone to listen to during a long drive.
26. Neat handwriting
29. Slide Ruler
31. Writing a check.
32. Cash.

And I am sure the list is much longer!! We all know a ton of stuff that the kids are clueless about! So pat youself on the back for being so dang smart!!!

Thanks, Pam! Great list! Now I feel as old as dirt! :thumbsup: :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
You'll get better & better. I used to be a dumby about the computer too. I got my first one 9 yrs ago. The younger folks had to teach me everything. Guess what, I never have to ask them for help anymore, but they ask me now.LOL If you have good tech support with your computer manufacturer, you can also contact them. I used to call Dell so much, some of the techs actually remembered me.:blush: The last time I had to call my ISP for a problem, they sent out a tech to proove it was my computer, but I proved it was their DSL modem.

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
welcome to the 60+ group:chili: they have computer workshops at my RV park. I better take them up on a few classes, I really don't understand the computer:blink: gosh when my granddaughter 8 comes over she helps me figure things out so I can get by:blush:. So welcome to the group

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:ThankYou: Thank you so much for all the encouragement and funny posts. I live in a small town and may have to check into classes in the bigger town where I go to dog classes.. The best scenario would be a smart 5th grader to sit beside and help me as I face each challenge...? LOVED Pam's post... so true we do know more than a 5 th grader about some things ... Someday I will be dancing with excitement for I will be a little smarter than my computer?? :walklikeanegyptian: :walklikeanegyptian::Happy_Dance::Happy_Dance::happy: :happy: :jackrabbitslims: :jackrabbitslims:

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I'm almost 65 and didn't even touch a computer until my 50s and even then only did offline stuff ( I was terribly intimidated by the whole thing and most especially 'the internet" so didn't think I'd EVER "go-there" LOL) A young relative came, set me up and gave me about a 35-40 min lesson on the basics. He said to just 'play'.. do stuff and see what happens. LOL well lo and behold I did OK.
Then the need for the internet arose so back to insecurity and intimidation. I had a young boy ( high school student) come, sit side by side with me and show me the ropes. ( he assured me that NO! I would NOT blow up the world or even my computer if I hit the wrong button! LOL ) I did have to contact tech support and once connected tols them they were dealing with an 'old-lady' and needed to be patient and talk to me at a 4-5th grade level. Once having said that I found most to be very very helpful.
I know I've come a long long way BUT seems tech-world advances so fast that I get overwhelmed by it. So much I don't understand.. and to make matters worse getting to find much of the tech vocabulary is beyond me LOL
When I do need 'major' help... and call tech support... I still start off with the old-lady spiel" LOL.. but LOVE the 'new' remote system where tech support can just 'come in' and do their thing ! I lesser important stuff I do call upon friends who can walk me thru or ask friends on message board like here.
There is a book called 'Computers for Dummies" ( or something like that) which our neighbors bought after their kids gave them a laptop for Christmas. they're older than we are and never had a computer before this.
I'd talk to friends and spread the word you're looking for someone to come and sit side by side you and walk you thru some of the areas of problems. many high-school/college kids would love to earn a few dollars this way!
There HAVE been classes for 'seniors' to learn computer in our area. I didn't go but know some who have and they felt even that was 'advanced' for someone who never had any access to computers before. Biggest complaint was the terminology... much was still a foreign language to them but instructors seemed to think they knew at least that much... they didn't. They said they needed a class that actually started with basics of basics.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Pam - great post. I feel so much better except I'm still having trouble with SM and it took me 5 times to try to reply. But I know it isn't my fault:)

·
Registered
10,733 Posts

2. Super-8 movies.
12. Typewriters.
18. Answering machines.
20. Pay phones.
26. Neat handwriting
29. Slide Ruler
31. Writing a check.
32. Cash.

Great list,only ones I can think of is
34. 8 tracks
35. records
36. using an abacus
37. rabbit ears covered in tin foil for TV reception...or a coat hanger.
38. clothes lines to dry clothes
39. reel type lawn mowers
40. party line telephones...
41. witching sticks to find a water vein for a well (my grandpa could do that)
42. double clutching to shift a Model A..I love those old cars....
43. using hand signals (all 5 fingers folks) to signal a turn or stop...

·
Premium Member
17,470 Posts
Well, what can I say? I am 65 :chili::chili:& started late in life w/computers----an old one, slow one---sort of like me---we became friends over the years and bless my dear husband's thoughtfulness but NO, I don't want a new one--no thank you! We understand each other & our quirks. . . well, most of the time anyhow.:innocent:
What to do? my only advice is to get a Mac---even if it means to disregard the above paragraph!
I have been told that I need to keep my brain active:smilie_tischkante:---but a computer also helps to keep my imagination active---like a million things I would like to do w/it when it doesn't work! They are you best and your worst friend!
Try and look at the lingo as a newly invented foreign language which you are trying to master and add it to the list. Someday you will be able to say "Yes, I am bi-lingual--I speak computer!":HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
I'm 61 got Baci and the computer at the same time:chili::chili:Im so glad I'm not alone either....:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
34. 8 tracks
35. records
36. using an abacus
:w00t: I think we may actually be smarter than a 5th grader if we had a trivia game for the ? "over 50" group! I have clothes on my clothes line this morning mostly because my "newer" dryer is ? safer supposedly so it doesn't get hot enough for me. I loved your other post about trial and error with computers or as you said your husband calls it "fuss and cuss!" :HistericalSmiley: Right now I am trying to figure out HOW to put another poster's quote in this post.. haven't figured that out yet.. but in my future! :aktion033:

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How did i do that???

34. 8 tracks
35. records
36. using an abacus
Well, what can I say? I am 65 :chili::chili:& started late in life w/computers----an old one, slow one---sort of like me---we became friends over the years and bless my dear husband's thoughtfulness but NO, I don't want a new one--no thank you! We understand each other & our quirks. . . well, most of the time anyhow.:innocent:
What to do? my only advice is to get a Mac---even if it means to disregard the above paragraph!
I have been told that I need to keep my brain active:smilie_tischkante:---but a computer also helps to keep my imagination active---like a million things I would like to do w/it when it doesn't work! They are you best and your worst friend!
Try and look at the lingo as a newly invented foreign language which you are trying to master and add it to the list. Someday you will be able to say "Yes, I am bi-lingual--I speak computer!":HistericalSmiley:
:w00t::w00t::w00t: WHAT happened ??? I went to do a second post with Sandi's quote in it and :w00t::w00t: there it is a double quote! HOW DID "I" do this ? I have no idea how ??? But "trial and error" "fuss and cuss" and someday I may be helping someone over 60 with their posting..!! Anyway LOVED Sandi post... keeping our brains active.. Yes for brain health reasons keep fussing and cussing! :chili:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts