Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!!
I have been reading with much interest this website! Our little "Sisse" will be coming to live with us in a few weeks now. I have been just scared to death after reading about the breed in other forums, but you all sound so positive here. The breeder called the other day and said "I just had to tell you, Sisse learned how to bark. She scares herself when she does it, turns around, looks behind her and then growls". We have "visitation rights" now and are encouraged to come over any time and "bond" with our new little girl. Thank you for all your wonderful advice about absolutely everything!! In fact, today I just found out about IAMS pet foods and learned the brand I was going to get for her did animal testing (Nutro). So we went with Newman's Own Organic. The breeder will use that food so she doesn't have any problems after coming home. I look forward to many, many great conversations here. Thank you for having me!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,741 Posts
Welcome to SM cant wait to see pictures!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts

Welcome to the forum!!! :D I can see your from Tucson, Arizona...our family is thinking of moving there in a few years. Whats it like? Is it really hot there? A lot of stuff to do? hahah I could ask you a million questions if I wanted to..but I won't lol
I'm sooo excited for you! I can't wait until you get your maltese puppy! Sisse sounds adorable! Isn't the Iams situation horrible
I can't believe that they could do that. I just glad I never fed my maltese, Fifi, Iams before. Anyway, Glad you joined the forum!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,483 Posts
Warm welcomes to you and your baby!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Welcome! BTW, my Kallie does that same thing ........ barking then looking around to see who that was! Treasure these early days.... there is nothing like getting a new puppy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cassandra and Fifi,
Sooooo many great things about Tucson (the heat is NOT one of them). I have lived here since 1999 and still have not seen and done all there is to do!! We do have a hot summer, but the winters here are sooooo worth it!! Yesterday I was out in the yard in my t-shirt and shorts!! Email me anytime and I will give you the "Tucson Tour"!!

Thank you all for the warm welcome!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Dec 30 2004, 09:49 PM
Hello everyone!!
So we went with Newman's Own Organic.  The breeder will use that food so she doesn't have any problems after coming home. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26461
[/QUOTE]
Hi, just make sure this formula is OK for puppies. Puppies need higher amounts of certain things so this food may be better to use once she is a little older. The kibble size is probably too large for a young Malt puppy, also.

I use Royal Canin small breed kibble. The size of the kibble is teeny tiny.... very easy for a puppy to eat. Also, it is formulated for digestibility and I must say that Catcher's stools are never soft. I don't like the fact that it has brewer's rice, which is a cheap filler but it is not one of the first ingredients and the pluses of this food outweigh the negatives.(It has no by-products and is basically only wholesome ingredients.)

I assume it has been an excellent puppy food for Catcher since he has not had one health issue and he is almost 8 months... no ear problems, no skin problems, no feet licking...

I figure it's only for a year and then he'll be on Newman's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Royal Canine is really good for puppies. The pieces are nice and small. Very easy for small puppies to chew. When your puppy is bigger you can switch them to food with bigger pieces (helps clean their teeth), but for now stick to puppy food with small pieces.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Dec 31 2004, 10:00 AM
Cassandra and Fifi,
Sooooo many great things about Tucson (the heat is NOT one of them).  I have lived here since 1999 and still have not seen and done all there is to do!!  We do have a hot summer, but the winters here are sooooo worth it!!  Yesterday I was out in the yard in my t-shirt and shorts!!  Email me anytime and I will give you the "Tucson Tour"!!

Thank you all for the warm welcome!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26525
[/QUOTE]


I Pmed you about the "Tucson Tour" :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just can't seem to get this puppy thing right !!
Now I am freaking out about the Newman's Own food
......It is very, very very small kibble, about the size of rice crispies cereal. I had a heck of a time finding it (only one store here in Tucson sells it). I was SOOOO upset over the IAMS and Nutro animal testing thing that I found that Newman's was the only one sold that I could get my hands on here. It has feeding instructions on the bag for puppies.....I guess I will call the Vet and see about it before I take it tomorrow.....Ugh.....I think I worried less when my kids were born !! And they didn't come with an instruction manual!! Thanks for all the great advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Dec 31 2004, 10:39 AM
I just can't seem to get this puppy thing right !! 
  Now I am freaking out about the Newman's Own food
......It is very, very very small kibble, about the size of rice crispies cereal.  I had a heck of a time finding it (only one store here in Tucson sells it).  I was SOOOO upset over the IAMS and Nutro animal testing thing that I found that Newman's was the only one sold that I could get my hands on here.  It has feeding instructions on the bag for puppies.....I guess I will call the Vet and see about it before I take it tomorrow.....Ugh.....I think I worried less when my kids were born !!  And they didn't come with an instruction manual!!  Thanks for all the great advice.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26565
[/QUOTE]

I would recommend starting out with a food ment for puppies. It will say on the bag Puppy Dry Dog Food. Don't start with one that is for all life stages. Puppies grow so fast that they need the extra calories and stuff in the puppy food.

More then likely your vet will suggest Science Diet or Eukanuba. I would recommend staying away from these products. They have bi-products in them. Sorry to add to your stress.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Dec 31 2004, 09:53 AM
Royal Canine is really good for puppies.  The pieces are nice and small.  Very easy for small puppies to chew.  When your puppy is bigger you can switch them to food with bigger pieces (helps clean their teeth), but for now stick to puppy food with small pieces.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26542
[/QUOTE]

Kristi & Lexi
Is Royal Canine tested on animals?? I couldn't find it on the "doesn't test on animals" list. Does anyone know of a brand of puppy food that either PetCo or PetSmart carries that is not animal tested?? {having heartattack}
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma+Dec 31 2004, 10:55 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Dec 31 2004, 09:53 AM
Royal Canine is really good for puppies.  The pieces are nice and small.  Very easy for small puppies to chew.  When your puppy is bigger you can switch them to food with bigger pieces (helps clean their teeth), but for now stick to puppy food with small pieces.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26542
Kristi & Lexi
Is Royal Canine tested on animals?? I couldn't find it on the "doesn't test on animals" list. Does anyone know of a brand of puppy food that either PetCo or PetSmart carries that is not animal tested?? {having heartattack}

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26570
[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't think it is. You can get it at either PetCo or PetSmart. Here is the website.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Dec 31 2004, 10:58 AM-->
Originally posted by Sisses [email protected] 31 2004, 10:55 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Dec 31 2004, 09:53 AM
Royal Canine is really good for puppies.  The pieces are nice and small.  Very easy for small puppies to chew.  When your puppy is bigger you can switch them to food with bigger pieces (helps clean their teeth), but for now stick to puppy food with small pieces.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26542


Kristi & Lexi
Is Royal Canine tested on animals?? I couldn't find it on the "doesn't test on animals" list. Does anyone know of a brand of puppy food that either PetCo or PetSmart carries that is not animal tested?? {having heartattack}

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26570

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is. You can get it at either PetCo or PetSmart. Here is the website.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26571
[/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry, I was wrong I found a website that says they do animal testing! Uncaged Campaigns
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top