Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, mothballs are tasty. I have no idea where she found it, and why I felt that I had to hug her...but I smelled the mothballs on her breath. I called the vet, who directed me to poison control for animals-they were wonderful, and even called back to see how I was doing, and called my vet to see how Angel was doing.

She had to have the charcoal to absorb anything, and then she threw up. They didn;t see mothballs-but the vomit smelled like it.

The vet said that she could have had immense Liver damage, if the mothballs were to be completely absorbed into her body, and she could have died.

They kept her all day, and we were just out of our minds distraught about not having her here. My husband called from work, and I sat like a blubbering baby for 10 minutes before he figured out what had happened.

We picked her up at 5:30 and she seems to be no worse for the wear-little bits of charcoal in her hair. She's bouncing around like usual. I think she's much less affected by the whole thing than me!!!

I'm going to revacuum and re check everything she can get to...I can't go through this again-It felt like I was just so lost.

Whew-what a day. I'll have to say some extra thanks tonight that we still have our Angel.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh my gosh..... poor you and poor Angel. Thank goodness you caught this in time. What if you had left the house or something.... when I think of all the bad ways this could have gone, you were so lucky.... So glad everything turned out OK for all of you!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Im so glad you'r baby is ok.I know how scared and afraid you must have been.Yes someone was truly watching over you'r angel.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And now she's pooping charcoal. Eeeeeeew. Poor little thing, she's gonna sleep with mommy tonight, the vet said to watch her carefully for tremors, or falling over. I hope there's something good on tv tonight-I won't be able to sleep!

I'm so glad she's home and sleeping on my lap. Like the world is once again spinning.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
What a scare! I'm glad she is okay! Animal poison control is great, isn't it? They really know their stuff.

The charcoal bits will get on stuff. Don't let her on your nice furniture until she has a bath in a couple of days. Most of it will wipe right off.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Holy Moly. Cloud had a moth ball in his mouth. I took it out in notime though. That is too scarey! Glad she's ok!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all of you for your good wishes!

Angel is doing fine this morning. She slept under my blankets, and woke up peppy and ready for action! She seems perfectly normal...except little black flecks all over the place.

I'm not worried about the black flecks-they'll come off of everything. It's comical-she must have given them a hard time-when she shakes they fly off of her. You can't see them if she's just standing there!

I'm so thankful that she's ok, and that there will be no lasting effects. I'm one lucky Malt Mama! I went over the floor with a fine tooth comb-found nothing, today I'll be cleaning all the furniture.
Thanks again, everyone!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I,m so happy to here that she's ok. It's amazing what these little buggers can get into. It'll probably take you a longer time to recover than Angel. Thank you for sharing this inportant information even though I'm sure it was hard for you.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
So glad that she is doing well now....I can't imagine what would make her want to eat one...yuck!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts