Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Originally posted by gigimom@Apr 25 2005, 12:16 PM
Today had to have been one of the worst days I've had in a while. I took my baby Pebbles of six months to be spayed by a vet that is known for working well with the smaller breeds (show breeder with very small yorkies referred me to him). He spayed both of my other girls and Pebbles was my last one to be done.

I dropped her off this morning and I felt very relaxed as this was my third time going through this procedure (and there were no problems with either of the other girls). Well this afternoon I got a call the Pebbles was in serious condition. For some reason her stomach was filled with oxygen (the vet claims she swallowed and it went the wrong way) and it (her stomach) began to twist. She stopped breathing twice and they (the vet) was concerned she wouldn't make it. She's home with me now and her spay was not completed due to her emergency situation. The worst part is that the vet wants me to bring her back in two weeks to "try this again". I just can't see myself doing this again at least not with this vet. I know its better to spay her if she's not going to be breed (and she's not) but my gosh, I don't know if my heart can take it.  I called my breeder (she's great) and she was a big help in calming me down.

Sorry for the long post but I just feel to terrible right now. I thought that maybe writing about it might make me feel better.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56344
[/QUOTE]

I don't know about dogs - but in people oxygen in the stomach means that intubation was incorrect (instead of trachea you end up in esophagus, leading to stomach). So, check to see if they intubated her...if so, its their fault for not getting it into the right place. In people we check the lungs by listening to be sure we are not in the wrong place.

Sorry you have to go though this!!

· Registered
2,286 Posts
I don't know about dogs - but in people oxygen in the stomach means that intubation was incorrect (instead of trachea you end up in esophagus, leading to stomach). So, check to see if they intubated her...if so, its their fault for not getting it into the right place. In people we check the lungs by listening to be sure we are not in the wrong place.

Sorry you have to go though this!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56355
[/QUOTE]

You said the same thing my breeder said. She is a retired nurse of many years and she is almost 100% sure that is what happened. My problem is, how can I prove it? The real kicker is that even though he almost killed my dog, I was still hit with $150 vet bill for his mistake (of course he doesn't admit that he made a mistake).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56416
[/QUOTE]

DO not pay that money!! He didn't even spay her right? If you did already pay (and its with credit card) then you can get your money back. I am not sure the best way to confront him...I will think about it.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Apr 25 2005, 01:47 PM
Why don't you PM, JMM or Lady Montava and ask their opinions on this, they are the experts here.......
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56454
[/QUOTE]

I know this wasn't targeted towards me...but I do know something about anesthesia. And although I know next to nothing about dogs, there are lots of similarities in the way surgeries are being done and anesthesia is administered. I think even the "non-experts" like me can be right as well and attempt to be helpful.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko+Apr 25 2005, 02:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadyMontava
@Apr 25 2005, 04:49 PM
definately sounds like the put the trach tube down the stomach.  in school we r trained to make sure it is in the right place.  sounds like they skipped this step. if they use gas anesthesia then im sure this is what happened.  but i dont know if u have a right not to pay.  if u signed a form talking about the risks of anesthesia, i dont know if u can refuse to pay.  but i def. wouldnt go to that place again.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56500
But isnt this case malpractice?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56507
[/B][/QUOTE]

Doing intubation incorrectly is not a risk of anesthesia that you sign for. You sign for unexpected events such as sudden death from the drug, cardiac events, just unforseen things. In humans, this would be a major malpractice suit. However, I don't think you can sue with animals. But I don't know. Just please do not pay this vet for screwing up a simple procedure!!!!!!

Our little guy just had a surgery....if I saw such gross negligence, you bet I would be asking for my money back and I would never let this vet touch him again. Since there is a way to check for placement of tube, this is just unacceptable.

Sorry for my ramblings but I am just so upset for you. I feel like the standard of care is just much higher in medical community and this really shouldn't be the case.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Apr 25 2005, 04:06 PM
I've read all the posts...my opinion is that money is only that...money.  It might not be worth the headache to pursue $150.  You'll be faced to re-live the incident, prove that he actually harmed your puppy and you'll probably have to spend some of your own money and certainly a lot of time.  You have your puppy back safely with you.  If you paid by credit card, you can challenge the charges, but I'm not so sure it would end up in your favor.  You need to determine if it is worth it.  I would definitely seek another vet, but whether or not you have the "right" not to pay would depend on what releases you have signed.  Now, assuming that he charged you and you paid, you might have recourse through the state's licensing board.  At the very least, you could report this incident.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56539
[/QUOTE]

Although I definitely see your point, I disagree only because the vet shouldn't be profiting from his mistakes. It won't even serve a lesson and he wouldn't even know what he did wrong. I think in the interest of his other patients, she should be asking for money back. Its a principle thing, not cheapness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.