Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
[/QUOTE]

I don't know about dogs - but in people oxygen in the stomach means that intubation was incorrect (instead of trachea you end up in esophagus, leading to stomach). So, check to see if they intubated her...if so, its their fault for not getting it into the right place. In people we check the lungs by listening to be sure we are not in the wrong place.

Sorry you have to go though this!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56355
[/QUOTE]

You said the same thing my breeder said. She is a retired nurse of many years and she is almost 100% sure that is what happened. My problem is, how can I prove it? The real kicker is that even though he almost killed my dog, I was still hit with $150 vet bill for his mistake (of course he doesn't admit that he made a mistake).

· Registered
2,286 Posts
I don't know about dogs - but in people oxygen in the stomach means that intubation was incorrect (instead of trachea you end up in esophagus, leading to stomach). So, check to see if they intubated her...if so, its their fault for not getting it into the right place. In people we check the lungs by listening to be sure we are not in the wrong place.

[/QUOTE]

You said the same thing my breeder said. She is a retired nurse of many years and she is almost 100% sure that is what happened. My problem is, how can I prove it? The real kicker is that even though he almost killed my dog, I was still hit with $150 vet bill for his mistake (of course he doesn't admit that he made a mistake).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56416
[/QUOTE]

DO not pay that money!! He didn't even spay her right? If you did already pay (and its with credit card) then you can get your money back. I am not sure the best way to confront him...I will think about it.

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
[/QUOTE]
Someone that knows more about this stuff please comment on the going back in 2 weeks thing. Is that too soon?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56388
[/QUOTE]

First, there is no way that I will do this again so soon. My heart can't do it again just yet. And yes, I'm going to find another vet. What I really want to do is report him but I don't know where or how to go about it.

· Registered
2,992 Posts
Poor Pebbles! What an ordeal for her and you, too! My Abbey gets spayed in June and I am now terrified! I may have to stay and "assist" in the surgery. I sat in the vet's waiting room for an hour after her vaccines. I think they thought I was nuts!
I am so glad Pebbles is okay!

· Registered
76 Posts
I'm so sorry for Pebbles and good like finding a new vet that you trust.

I wish I had advice on where to report him, I was kind of under the impression that you can't sue a vet for malpractice the way you can a human doctor. But can you complain to the better business bureau? Is there a national veterinary board that would hear your complaint? Or maybe when you find your new vet they can help direct you?

Don't pay that vet bill! You can write a letter to the vet explaining your concerns and reasons if you don't want to have a face to face confrontation.

· Registered
7,310 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Pebbles. That would be so scary.

Originally posted by JCButterfly@Apr 25 2005, 03:46 PM
I wish I had advice on where to report him, I was kind of under the impression that you can't sue a vet for malpractice the way you can a human doctor. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56453
[/QUOTE]
Actually I think there was a thread on here within the last few months about there being more cases of sueing vets over malpractice. Courts are starting to change there views on pets. Some are not viewing them as property anymore.

· Registered
3,445 Posts
Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry to hear this. If it's their fault, then see what they can do with your bill. I feel sooooo bad for Pebbles. Who is in charge of intubating(?) Pebbles? Vet techs or the Dr themselves?

· Registered
993 Posts
Originally posted by okw+Apr 25 2005, 04:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-gigimom
@Apr 25 2005, 01:12 PM

<div class='quotemain'>

I don't know about dogs - but in people oxygen in the stomach means that intubation was incorrect (instead of trachea you end up in esophagus, leading to stomach).  So, check to see if they intubated her...if so, its their fault for not getting it into the right place.  In people we check the lungs by listening to be sure we are not in the wrong place.

[/QUOTE]

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56416
[/B][/QUOTE]

DO not pay that money!! He didn't even spay her right? If you did already pay (and its with credit card) then you can get your money back. I am not sure the best way to confront him...I will think about it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56421
[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree, do NOT, NOT, NOT pay that bill! He didn't even do what he is charging you for! And he sertanly isn't going to do the actual spay now so he can't say that it's for that (and not charge you for the actual spay). If you did pay I would demand your money back and tell them that you aren't going to pay them for a procedure that they didn't even do. Why should you pay them to almost kill your dog. That's ridiculous that he even charged you at all. I am glad you decided to find a new vet. Your poor baby will have to go through her first heat but I don't think that putting her back under anestesia so soon is such a good idea. Find a new vet, explain what happened with the other vet and discuss a course of action (when it's safe to do her actual spay). Also be sure to tell your new vet that you feel more comfortable with him putting the tube in instead of a vet tech.

· Registered
48 Posts
A spay does'nt even cost that much around here.
Definately get your money back.

I think it took a lot of gall to even ask you to pay that.

I hope your baby is feeling better.
Lots of hugs to you both

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Oh, bless your heart.... I am so glad she did not die!!! Thank goodness she is home with you now. Talk about nerve! I can't believe he had the audacity to charge you ... for what... she isn't spayed... so you have to pay for a botched surgery?! Is this guy not your regular vet? Do you have a vet that you know and trust?

· Registered
7,623 Posts
definately sounds like the put the trach tube down the stomach. in school we r trained to make sure it is in the right place. sounds like they skipped this step. if they use gas anesthesia then im sure this is what happened. but i dont know if u have a right not to pay. if u signed a form talking about the risks of anesthesia, i dont know if u can refuse to pay. but i def. wouldnt go to that place again.

· Registered
3,445 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Apr 25 2005, 04:49 PM
definately sounds like the put the trach tube down the stomach.  in school we r trained to make sure it is in the right place.  sounds like they skipped this step. if they use gas anesthesia then im sure this is what happened.  but i dont know if u have a right not to pay.  if u signed a form talking about the risks of anesthesia, i dont know if u can refuse to pay.  but i def. wouldnt go to that place again.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56500
[/QUOTE]

But isnt this case malpractice?

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Apr 25 2005, 01:47 PM
Why don't you PM, JMM or Lady Montava and ask their opinions on this, they are the experts here.......
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56454
[/QUOTE]

I know this wasn't targeted towards me...but I do know something about anesthesia. And although I know next to nothing about dogs, there are lots of similarities in the way surgeries are being done and anesthesia is administered. I think even the "non-experts" like me can be right as well and attempt to be helpful.

· Registered
2,065 Posts
i can hardly imagine how scary that was

imo, you should go ahead with another spay. it was a freak accident, and it will be sooo much more beneficial to pebbles in the long run if you just get her spayed

good luck w/ your decision, i know it will be hard..

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.