Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I stumbled upon this forum because I'm thinking of getting another maltese. I currently already have a 6 year old maltese. Should I look into getting another female or get a male? Does it even matter?

Any other tips you guys have to help transition getting a second dog would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
hi!

Sex doesn't matter as much as temperament. I would look into an older puppy or another girl/boy close to your girl's age because you can 'gauge' temperament better. Plus puppies can be pretty darn annoying, esp if your girl doesn't like to play that much!
Good luck in your search! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I agree with Stacy. A six year difference is a lot. Your sweet 6 year old might not want to play with a crazy, non-stop puppy. Perhaps you could find a breeder with a retiree closer to your pup's age.

But, heck, what do I know, LOL....if your malt is still puppy-like and active, an older pup might work out fine.

Good luck in your quest. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Welcome. I'm happy you stumbled upon us. I only have one Maltese so I'm not one to give advice on this topic. I think if you search this forum (there's a search heading in the black bar above) you can find some threads about adding on another fluff.
Above all, I am hoping you will either be adopting one from a shelter or a rescue since there are so many wonderful Maltese who have ended up in the system because of the economy. You may also find one in the right age range that way. Otherwise please find a reputable breeder and not a pet store or Backyard Breeder. There's lot of info and stickies about this on the site and we can help steer you in the right direction. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
The ladies above have very valid points.

Just from my own personal experiences though, I did add a pup, when Flakey was 3, and then when he was 10. Yup 10 years old. Now, I think the key here is, first the tempermant of your current Maltese.

My Flakey (RIP) LOVED other furbabies, regardless of gender or age. Size, well, he preferred them same size or smaller.

And I tell you what, with both Tina Marie (RIP) and Kara (RIP), I had, and I tell you the truth, zero puppy issues.

Do you remember, when your pup would do the playbiting? Didn't happen with either Tina Marie or Kara. They may have tried it once, with Flakey, that's how pups play with their littermates, they play bite. Flakey would turn his head to the side and bark away from either Tina Marie or Kara. Guess what, they learned so much quicker from him, then me.

But that was Flakey's tempermanet. When we brought Kara home, and he was 10, he was delighted. He was fully of energy, and playfulness at age 10. He lived until he was 15, and he and Kara were best of buds.

So, I think, it really depends on the temperment, of your current fur-baby, in choosing whether to get a pup, or one similar in age. If you get one similar in age, you have to really know their temperment very well, as well.

Now with my current two, they were only a month and a half apart. So, I had two pups at the same time, and they soley learned from me and boy did I miss my Flakey during their puppy stages.

Anyway, whichever way you go, welcome, and wish you the very best :)

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
The temperament in each individual puppy/adult is more important than the actual sex of the new dog. If your girl isn't spayed, you will need to get another female to avoid irresponsible breeding. But, if she's already spayed, you can just focus on the new dog's temperament! I have one girl (almost 3) and one boy (1 1/2) and I much prefer the boys from my experience. Before I got London & Preston I had another Maltese named Benson who passed away from a liver shunt before age 2, but he had the exact same temperament as Preston does which is why I favor the boys...Both boys I've had have been amazing. London, my girl, is a huuuuuge handful. lol

I do agree with the others in perhaps considering either an older puppy (at least 6 months old), or a retiree. If your girl is very high energy, you would probably still be okay with a young puppy, but it could be a more difficult transition because they are often set in their ways by age 6 and are used to being an only child. They may become closer if they are closer in age.

I have two and love them both dearly. I remember when it was just London I REALLY wanted to get a 2nd, so when she turned 1 1/2 or so we added Preston. It is a lot of work for me to bathe them both weekly, plus I do my own grooming, and am a housewife so I am home with them all day every day. It gets exhausting for me and although I love them both, there are many days where I do wish I wouldn't have added a 2nd dog. London came first but Preston is my favorite so if I wouldn't have gotten a 2nd, I wouldn't have Preston and I can't imagine not having him. Make sure you really have twice the time to dedicate to your fluff family before adding a 2nd. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's replies. I'll definitely try to pick another maltese with a similar temperament but, how long does it usually take to judge this? Would spending half an hour with a dog be long enough for me to decide whether or not he/she would be a good match for my maltese?

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Thanks for everyone's replies. I'll definitely try to pick another maltese with a similar temperament but, how long does it usually take to judge this? Would spending half an hour with a dog be long enough for me to decide whether or not he/she would be a good match for my maltese?

The best judge of the new addition, would be where the baby is coming from, whether that be from one of the reputable show breeders, who will know the pup inside out and upside down :), or if you want to adopt from a foster home. The foster parents can you a great idea of the new additions temperment. (see below post for link to how to find and evaluate for your search on a new addition.

Just curious, what is your current babies temperment like?

I LOVE having two, so exited for you.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
The best judge of the new addition, would be where the baby is coming from, whether that be from one of the reputable show breeders, who will know the pup inside out and upside down :), or if you want to adopt from a foster home. The foster parents can you a great idea of the new additions temperment.

Sorry, should have given you a link to a great thread here that helps for a puppy/retiree/foster fur-baby search

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/56-breeders/97845-maltese-breeders-how-find-evaulate.html

I also wanted to add , that yup at age 10 Flakey more then welcomed the new addition, of course upder my supervision, but he loved in. Now, when Flakey passed awary, Kara was 5, and wanted NOTHING to do with anything four legged. Zero, zip. Notta. Nope. :) And she was the sweetest baby girl in the world. She just LOVED humans after Flakey passed.

So it really all depends.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
If you think a pup might be too rambunctious,you might consider a rescue that's a little older.
I have 4 Malts and a cocker. We got the cocker 6 months after we got the first two Malts,then we took in two adoptees,age 10 and 6. So most of our dogs are close to the same age, three of them are 7 yrs old,one is 6 yrs old and one is 10 yrs old.
My step son has two dogs aged 11 months and one 14 months.
They get along pretty good but I wouldn't leave them alone w/ mine since they're large dogs and still play like wild puppies and could hurt my little ones.

Depends on the temperment of your first Malt and the one you introduce.
Our females,all spayed do get into fights,while out tiny male gets along w/ all of them and no fights..
I'm not sure if gender plays a roll in that,he just has a really laid back way about him.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My two yorkies just turned 6 years old, and I will probably be getting a puppy in the near future. As I type this, they are both wrestling with each other right now so they are both still very playful and active at 6. They'll do fine with a puppy...although I know they won't want to play as much as a puppy will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The best judge of the new addition, would be where the baby is coming from, whether that be from one of the reputable show breeders, who will know the pup inside out and upside down :), or if you want to adopt from a foster home. The foster parents can you a great idea of the new additions temperment. (see below post for link to how to find and evaluate for your search on a new addition.

My current baby is pretty lazy. She prefers just watching TV, sitting on the couch and cuddling. She's pretty calm but, will bark at anything she hears or sees move around outside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts