Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone attended any health related seminars the Atlanta AMA Show may have had and if so, what they learned? Since Tuffy has auto-immune thyroiditis (inherited), I'm hopeful that breeders are now testing for this health issue and any others that can be prevented.

Deb

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I'd like to hear about this too. I hope there was one.
Is Tuffy's breeder testing for this now?

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to hear about this too. I hope there was one.
Is Tuffy's breeder testing for this now?
I don't know Brit. :unsure: When she was diagnosed, the pathologist along with my vet instructed me to inform Tuffy's breeder (which I did) so that her parents were no longer bred and also to inform the rest of her liter's owners. Her breeder followed both requests and I know her breeder was genuinely concerned about her health. I don't know if her breeder or other maltese breeders are now testing for this but I do hope that they are. It seems that an immune compromised dog (or person) is prone to other health problems and Tuffy has had her share (atopic allergies, anal gland problems.)

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The seminar this year was on genetics and given by Claudia Orlandi. You can purchase her book if you're interested. It did address the heredity of certain health conditions we know are passed in certain ways and how to work to eliminate them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts