Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a real and rather silly problem with Amy---she's become scared of the wind and rain.
She's always been nervous since I've had her( rescue at 5 1/2 years of age, now 9)--obviously because of her previous treatment.
In the Uk we have an event called Bonfire Night on November 5th,where fireworks are set off and in the weeks leading up to it,they terrify her beyond belief. Since last Bonfire Night she is becoming worse and worse when she hears loud or unusual noises-----and now the wind and rain.
Even if she hears a few drops of rain she starts to shake, and I do mean shake. If it rains properly she just roams around, tail down, panting and barks and barks and barks.She won't let us comfort her, just struggles to get away, if we ignore her--she carries on. If we put her outside the lounge, alone for example in the hallway she stops--but here you can hear the rain and wind even more, :eek: but when we let her in the lounge again off she starts again, put her outside she stops, and so on.
Has anyone any suggestions on how I can help/retrain Amy? We have an awful lot of rain in the UK and at this rate she'll just be living in the hall.

Susan

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i'm sorry amy is having these problems
lucys afraid of thunderstorms, but only afraid enough that she'll whimper a little and someone will comfort her.

i hope you find a solution~!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
get a cassette tape or CD with sounds of thunderstorms...put it really low at first...as background noise in your house---and (i dont know how long you wait, maybe a couple of hours) you gradually increase it. praise her and give kisses and treats.

and never praise while she's scared.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Desensitization to thunderstorms tends not to be super successful, but give it a go. You can also talk to your vet about a mild sedative. For some dogs, Benadryl makes them sleepy enough to take the edge off.

Some dogs also do better in a dark crate. Others do really well in the car for some reason.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I had read that during a thunderstorm put the dog on a bed. That helped a ton with my first Malt, Rosebud, who would shake a lot when there was thunder. It really made a big difference for her. I have also heard to let them get under a blanket, including their head.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not actually talking about thunderstorms( she goes frantic when they do happen) but ordinary rain of which in the Uk we have a great deal

As soon as she hears it starting--just a few drops even and you can see her working herself up--licking lips, roaming around, and then the barking. I've tried turning the TV/radio up to drown the noise to no effect, and I've tried calming music---no effect on her whatsoever.
Susan

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by Amymalteser@Jun 4 2005, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not actually talking about thunderstorms( she goes frantic when they do happen) but ordinary rain of which in the Uk we have a great deal

As soon as she hears it starting--just a few drops even and you can see her working herself up--licking lips, roaming around, and then the barking. I've tried turning the TV/radio up to drown the noise to no effect, and I've tried calming music---no effect on her whatsoever.
Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68986
[/QUOTE]

is there maybe a walk-in closet that you could soundproof and make into a rain room for amy?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
This happens to so many dogs around here becuase people set off fireworks in their backyards, and some people even shoot dogs. Now these dogs I am talking about are like labs and german shepards but its proubly all the same. What everyone here does is just put the dogs into backrooms where it isnt so loud, its dosnt work great but it keeps then from going insane.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
My old dog had the same problem... its not uncommon for a dog to be upset during storms. Kodie only seems to mind when the whole room is quiet and he then hears thunder. He usually only barks at it though.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Scooby was ok till his first 4th July. Poor little thing is absolutely terrified of thunder and fireworks. We have tried everything but to see him in such state is very upsetting so we called our vet and she gave us a mild tranquilizer and said to just give him half a tablet about half an hour before a storm or fireworks. The other night we had nasty storms forecast so we all went downstairs for the night as we were on tornado watch most of the night. Well we decided that this probably would be a good night to help Scooby through it all. We gave him the half pill and within the next 15 minutes he was asleep. That was 7.15pm, well the storm we got was nothing really and it came in at about 3.15am. Scooby looked up at me and then plopped his head back down on my lap and went back to sleep. He slept most of the next day. I think maybe next time I will just give him a quarter pill as I am not keen on sedating him like that, but it was better for him as he wasn't in such a state where he was panting and gasping for air and shaking uncontrolably, he was just so relaxed and calm. I definately will be giving him one on the 4th July because we have fireworks all day here and they are so loud and even I hate the noise, I might just take one myself :lol:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Bella used to be afraid of the rain too. The last time it rained, I heard the rain start the same time that Bella did, and I acted like I was really happy and I sccoped her up and took her into the kitchen to get a treat. I gave her one of her treats and we went back to the living room. Bella ate it and now when it rains instead of being scared, she goes to the kitchen. I don't know if this will work, especially the first try, but who knows? Bella is such a copy cat, if we do something once, she learns fast.....I just hope i haven't turned her into an "emotional" eater

1 - 13 of 13 Posts