Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mentioned before how nervous Amy is when she hears noises and a few weeks ago I mentioned to you how lately she is scared of the noise of rain.
Well at the moment Amy just seems anxious over anything. The latest is she just wanders around restlessly, tail between her legs and approaches a lounge door leading to the hall as if really scared--she approaches it very tentatively, sniffing the air, and won't go through it. She continues to wander around and then starts aimlessly barking, over and over and over.She usually hides behind the TV.

Do you think that Amy is just becoming over anxious---at times it seems as if she is deliberately working herself up, or could it be an underlying sympton of something else? I'm really getting concerned.
Susan

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
This probably has nothing to do with Amy is going through, but when Rex scratched his cornea a few weeks ago, he started barking at everything and acting scared, being very cautious and barking at the doors and plants and stuff. Now that his eye is better he is back to normal. Good luck in finding out what is going on, I am sure someone here has good info for you.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
do you comfort her when she gets scared? my mom has this prob with her yorkie. she made it worse by holding her and consoleing her. this was telling her it was allright to be afraid. what i do with parker is i try to distact him like what ever he heard i didnt hear it and im not scared. i will tell himt o go fetch a toy or i will give him a treat,s o he associates the noise with a positive experience. hope your baby is okay.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
You know, I just thought about this exact same situation last night! Peanut has been so afraid of everything lately. He is very jumpy and the slightest noise sends him running for his crate. I feel so bad because I don't know what caused him to feel like this. I mean it's getting pretty extreme where if a pen rolls off of my desk he'll go running away. I just know that tonight the fireworks will set him off even more. He's a year and a half now and I can't tell if it's just a phase or if something happened to scare him. He seems so sensitive to everything now. I have an appointment with the vet for Tic's neuter and I was going to bring this up. I will let you know if my vet has anything to say about it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At times my father consoles her. Amy is a rescue and sadly I can't distract her with toys---she doesn't play with them and looks at me as if I'm mad when I throw them about and play with them.

But I will try to distract her with treats or in other ways. The only trouble is at the moment there is no noise,she's just acting as if scared.Thanks for the idea.s

Susan

·
Registered
277 Posts
<span style="font-family:Times">Maybe its the fireworks???? When I went to the pet expo a couple weeks ago, a lady @ one of the papillon booths mentioned that dogs experience anxiety around extremely loud noises....like fireworks.</span>

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you tried playing with her before those weird noises starts (if you know when it starts of coz). If the dog is happily playing, then may be she'll not even notice the noises. And may be take her to those noises touching those things making the noises and let her know it's ok. I hope she'll be ok soon.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the strange thing---lately there are no noises. She just approaches the door very timidily, nose in the air sniffing, tail down and looks scared--there is no noise, no smells, no nothing. I wonder at times if she's just winding herself up over nothing to be honest. If there is a noise ok, but lately there is nothing. So strange.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by Amymalteser@Jul 5 2005, 03:12 PM
That's the strange thing---lately there are no noises. She just approaches the door very timidily, nose in the air sniffing, tail down and looks scared--there is no noise, no smells, no nothing. I wonder at times if she's just winding herself up over nothing to be honest. If there is a noise ok, but lately there is nothing. So strange.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78133
[/QUOTE]

Strange! Have you given your vet a call? Then may be he/she can advise if Amy should visit him/her.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Amymalteser@Jul 5 2005, 03:12 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78133
[/QUOTE]

A dog's sense of smell is way more sensitive than ours. Perhaps she smells something that you don't. For example, one day Kallie was outside and was sniffing like crazy at a corner of the fence. The fence is a shadow box design and you can't see on the other side. She kept doing that I went around to see what could be bothering her and there was a small, dead snake!

Could there be a dead rodent or something in your attic, etc. that you don't know about? There is apparently some scent in the air that is bothering her... have fun trying to find it, though!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts