Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend suggested this food, she said she uses them for her cats...she lost a few at substantially young ages. She blames it on poor quality cat food and bad health developed from it.

This is the food link, anyone else try it?

http://www.healthfoodforpets.com/dogfood.htm

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Angelsmom@Nov 18 2005, 10:34 PM
Sounds very much like what I am now using and it is called Holistic Blend.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121086
[/QUOTE]

What are you using? Do you get it mail order? That is the only thing I am not crazy about with this food. it's mail order only.

Good tips on what nutrition to look for and what to avoid, though.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
The food seems like it is a typical premium food. It definitely doesn't look any better than other premium brands.

INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Potato Product, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E)), Dried Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Natural Flavors, Flax Seed Meal, Egg Product, Fish Meal, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Carrots, Apples, Canola Oil, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Celery, Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Bifido bacterium bifidium fermentation product, Streptococcus faecium fermentation product, Aspergillus oryzae fermentation product, Spinach, Grape Seed Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Panto-thenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Dimethyl-pyrimidinol Bisulfate (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Citric Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate

·
Registered
571 Posts
ok here is a list of the ingredients, I don't know if you can get it in the States. It is made in Ontario Canada.

Ingredients: Lamb meal, whole ground milet, ground brown rice, whole ground barley, salmon, yeast culture, amaranth, flax seed, canola oil, alfalfa, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, cloline chloride, L-lysine, cranberries, yucca schidigera extracts, garlic powder, cinnamon powder, rosemary extracts, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, zinc proteinate, niacin, vatamin A acetate, calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, manganese proteinate, thiamin mononitrate, cobalt sulfate, biotin, riboflavin, calcium iodate, vatamin D3 supplement, copper proteinates, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin K, folic acid.

Does not have
animal by-products, poultry fat, BHT,BHA, ethoxyquin, corn, wheat, sugar, salt, soya, beet pulp, growth hormones, antibiotics.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just read a breeder's advice on feeding dogs. She wrote, any food containing more than 8 incredients will have you picking up alot more dog poop and will need to feed more often. She also stated, adding some canned pumkin when you change their food will keep their stool firm.

Also, our toys need more nutrition than bigger dogs.

Finding a dog food with 8 or less incredients is going to be hard. She wrote some of the Cosco food brands are pretty good.???

Both the foods I am feeding him have more than 8 ingredients.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by MaxMommy@Nov 19 2005, 04:20 PM
I just read a breeder's advice on feeding dogs.  She wrote, any food containing more than 8 incredients will have you picking up alot more dog poop and will need to feed more often.  She also stated, adding some canned pumkin when you change their food will keep their stool firm.

Finding a dog food with 8 or less incredients is going to be hard.  She wrote some of the Cosco food brands are pretty good.???

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121248
[/QUOTE]
I have yet to see a dog food with less than 8 ingredients unless it was home made.

Canned pumpkin (make sure its 100% pumpkin) is great to have on had. You can give your puppy a small amount (1 tsp or less) when he has loose stools or is constipated. I just wish it came it those small cans. Seems like a waste to buy a big can and only use a few teaspoons out of it.

Costco has good brands?!?! I would never buy a dog food at a grocery store or store like Target/Walmart. I can't imagine CostCo would have any of the premium brands. Maybe I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The brands that the breeder mentioned at Coscos were Eagle pack, Kirkland and another I can't remember.

I wouldn't feel comfortable buying his food at cosco, either.

I tried to look for canned pumkin, yesterday, with no luck. They don't sell it in supermarkets??? I only saw pie filling which I know is not the stuff to get.

I found two places in my area that sell Innova. I think I will switch to that eventually. Or just add it little by little. I have about 50 pounds of food right now.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Nov 21 2005, 08:19 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MaxMommy
@Nov 19 2005, 04:20 PM
I just read a breeder's advice on feeding dogs.  She wrote, any food containing more than 8 incredients will have you picking up alot more dog poop and will need to feed more often.  She also stated, adding some canned pumkin when you change their food will keep their stool firm.

Finding a dog food with 8 or less incredients is going to be hard.  She wrote some of the Cosco food brands are pretty good.???

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121248
I have yet to see a dog food with less than 8 ingredients unless it was home made.

Canned pumpkin (make sure its 100% pumpkin) is great to have on had. You can give your puppy a small amount (1 tsp or less) when he has loose stools or is constipated. I just wish it came it those small cans. Seems like a waste to buy a big can and only use a few teaspoons out of it.

Costco has good brands?!?! I would never buy a dog food at a grocery store or store like Target/Walmart. I can't imagine CostCo would have any of the premium brands. Maybe I'm wrong though.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121688
[/B][/QUOTE]
Someone once suggested freezing the canned pumpkin that was left over. I think someone even said they froze it in ice cube trays.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where is everyone getting the canned pumkin? I checked the canned vegi section at the supermarket with no luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.