Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an email that I received eariler today from my art professor and I thought I'd share this information with you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

Several retailers have joined in the push to ban the use of "Christmas" in their in-store promotions and retail advertising. The new push to eliminate "Christmas" and replace it with "Happy Holidays," "Season's Greetings," etc. is gaining ground with several retailers participating.

Not wanting to offend a handful of complainers, these companies are willing to offend the vast majority who hold Christmas as a time to celebrate the birth of Christ. Their attitude is that those who identify themselves as Christians don't care if they eliminate "Christmas."

While it is too late to make changes this year, we have already sent letters to several major retailers we have identified as participating in banning "Christmas," asking them to put Christmas back into their in-store promotions and retail advertising next year. We have sent letters to the chairmen of Target, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Kmart/Sears, Costco, Kohl's and Lowe's about their practice. (Lowe's even refuses to promote their trees as Christmas trees, but calls them "Holiday Trees." Their toll-free number is 1-800-445-6937.)

Please sign our petition letting these companies know that banning "Christmas" in their promotions and advertising next year will result in a loss of business. As we identify other companies participating in this practice, we will contact them.

We need your support to be effective. That is why we need your petition. Please help us get the word out by forwarding this to your friends and family. Many of them will want to participate. We will keep you informed on which companies make changes and which ones refuse.

Thanks for caring enough to get involved.

Sincerely,

Don

Donald E. Wildmon, Founder and Chairman
American Family Association

P.S. "There is an anti-Christian bias in this country, and it is more on display at Christmas season than any other time." - Bill O'Reilly, The O'Reilly Factor, Fox News Channel (Speaking about the decision of Target and other stores to ban the use of "Merry Christmas" in their stores and advertising.) Please forward this e-mail message to your family and friends!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I respect those companies that wish to keep from offending the non-believers, but because I choose to respect thier opinion, that doesn't mean that I have to shop at these particular stores.

I recently picked up $400+ lay-a-way at Wal-Mart. I have every right mind to return each and every single purchase, and choose to do my business with another store, and one that is not listed in the email.

I WILL close my accounts with Lowe's immediately.

I will NO LONGER do my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart---Kroger gets my business from now one.

Need buildling products.... go to local family owned hardware store or 84 Lumber

Need appliances--- Go to local family owned appliance center, Smith Furniture, Furniture Liquidators, etc.

As long as there is Dollar General, Family Dollar, Big Lots, JC Penney, Goody's, ACF, Proffitts, Dollar Tree, Save-A-Lot, Winn Dixie, INTERNET SHOPPING, and many other stores that I've not mentioned, that I will not do without.

My ticked off level just went from 0 to 10 in just a matter of a second.

Anyone here choose to join me in retaliation for the Lord Jesus Christ???

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Scott,

I know what you mean! I, for one can totally respect other people's religion, but what's the point on labeling them HOLIDAY TREES? Did those execs not learn anything from school? Other religions don't decorate TREES. They don't buy decorations that are in the color of green/red/white/gold. These are CHRISTMAS decorations.

Also, my parents are not Christian, and they still celebrate Christmas as a regular holiday. So they have no problem in saying Merry Christmas. They understand it's part of being in the American Culture and do not take offense when people say Merry Christmas to them.

This is really sickening.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

They have too much free time.
This is the season in which we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, we call it christmas!!! period. Other religions name their holidays as they like so why do we have to change the name of our most important holiday? Just don`t get it!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I get that e-mail too, and what I think is all this stores and companies are full of hipocresy (sp) and contradictions, they are trying to start the season earlier and earlier every year, try to push sales more and more, all because people by presents for Christmas but then please dont say the name.... we can offend someone with that, what about us Christians been offendend or not agree with Halloween, or any other holiday (its just an example). The way everything is trying to be "politically correct" is just plain rude and offensive to any Christian, whatever denomination you are. And the worse part is that we as Christian are not going to do nothing about it, yes maybe we are going to be offended, a few will complaint and thats about it, we are still going to buy presents for our family and friends and continue living in a society that is more and more against morality and God.
Until we all got together and really start making lots of noise like all the other groups like "pro choice" "gays and lesbians" and whatever others, they will continue pushing and pushing until they got whatever they want.

Ok... Now I step down from my soap box.

Sorry I think I ramble too much......

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Well, I like the phrases "Happy Holidays" and "Season's Greetings" (because it's easier than saying "Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Happy New Year...." you get the picture, not one is specifically stated, no one gets offended) But I do think they may be going a bit far on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I'm not necessarily defending the email but I work in Ithaca NY which is a very culturally diverse town, There are alot of different religions represented here. It is very common to see the "holiday" theme this time of year rather than a "Christmas" theme. There are so many different religions, just in my circle of associates; Jewish, Hindu, Muslim; Bahi; Buhdist; and CHristian as well as agnostic and atheist. I am very careful this time of year to wish people "Happy Holidays" as opposed to a "Merry Christmas" unless I know for sure what their paticular religion is. I try to think how I might feel if I were say, Muslim or Buhdist and eveywhere I went people were wishing me a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
just a note, i know this is a volatile subject for some and i have seen many of them get out of control on other forums, i just ask that everyone that express their opinion/beliefs be considerate of others also

thank you, i return you to your regularly scheduled program

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I'm not necessarily defending the email but I work in Ithaca NY which is a very culturally diverse town, There are alot of different religions represented here. It is very common to see the "holiday" theme this time of year rather than a "Christmas" theme. There are so many different religions, just in my circle of associates; Jewish, Hindu, Muslim; Bahi; Buhdist; and CHristian as well as agnostic and atheist. I am very careful this time of year to wish people "Happy Holidays" as opposed to a "Merry Christmas" unless I know for sure what their paticular religion is. I try to think how I might feel if I were say, Muslim or Buhdist and eveywhere I went people were wishing me a Merry Christmas.[/B]

In my opinion, it is just witnessing.
Regardless of their religion or how they express it to me, I will say "Merry Christmas"....
Again, just my opinion and beliefs...

I like the phrases Happy Holidays and Seasons Greetings too...but just b/c I like them.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
I agree that we should keep Christ in "Christ"mas.

For anyone who is interested, I actually found Christmas cards at TJMAX that say "Merry Christmas" in fact, I even bought a box for my mom. Her's say, May the joys of Christmas put a song in your heart. Merry Christmas

Thanks for the info Scott, if you give the devil an inch he will take a mile.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Personally, I wish this topic was never started. It accomplishes nothing except possibly cause hurt feelings and division within the group.

"Flame bait is a subject that people feel strongly about and which almost always causes sharp divisions in viewpoint. In general, these topics involve sex, religion and politics. When flame war veterans see one of these topics come up, they often restrict their reply to something like, "This is flame bait; I'm not touching this topic." Inexperienced users, on the other hand blithely charge in, and the same tired arguments are trotted out for the millionth time. Nobody changes their position and everybody gets irritated." http://members.aol.com/intwg/flamewars.htm#IRYD

P.S. I do not at all think those who responded are “inexperienced users”. I was just quoting the statement verbatim.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Personally, I wish this topic was never started. It accomplishes nothing except possibly cause hurt feelings and division within the group.

"Flame bait is a subject that people feel strongly about and which almost always causes sharp divisions in viewpoint. In general, these topics involve sex, religion and politics. When flame war veterans see one of these topics come up, they often restrict their reply to something like, "This is flame bait; I'm not touching this topic." Inexperienced users, on the other hand blithely charge in, and the same tired arguments are trotted out for the millionth time. Nobody changes their position and everybody gets irritated." http://members.aol.com/intwg/flamewars.htm#IRYD

P.S. I do not at all think those who responded are “inexperienced users”. I was just quoting the statement verbatim.[/B]

Yes I think that anyone who is responding should only state their view and definitely not attach another member's view. Whew, we saw the ugly come out in that other forum.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts

P.S. I do not at all think those who responded are “inexperienced users”. I was just quoting the statement verbatim.[/B]

Yes I think that anyone who is responding should only state their view and definitely not attach another member's view. Whew, we saw the ugly come out in that other forum.
[/B]

Sorry...
I wasn't being ugly when I attached mine to Puppymom's...sorry if it sounded that way.
I was just responding to her statement. Just adding my two cents.

I thought all were being very civil. In fact, lately we have had several civil discussions on touchy subjects.
Again, I apologize.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
This is definately a very touchy subject and I am a great believer in each to their own beliefs.
I was brought up from a little child to believe Christmas was a time to rejoice and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savioir and no-one can ever take that away from me. I will always use the Merry Christmas greeting, but I won't think any less of anyone who chooses to do otherwise, that is their choice and it is not for me to judge.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I debated on whether or not to even post on this, but I decided to share my thoughts.
This country began with Christian beliefs and values, and that is what has gotten us to the great nation that we are. We are the country of choice! And for that I am grateful. Here is my problem:
Why are we leaving everything this country was founded on? It began with prayer in school, and we are now upset over displaying the 10 commandments, crosses, and certain "Christ"ian words. I am a firm believer in each person has the right to choice. But does that right mean to take away the very principles that gave us this right?
Unfortunately, everything has to be "politically correct." You can have whatever holiday you wish, you can say whatever greeting you wish, you can even call your own tree whatever you wish...but that does NOT change what it trully is/began as. People make a choice when they decide to live in this country or not. With that choice, they are able to live a good life with freedom. Then someone decides that freedom means "let's take away others freedoms of Christianity."
I believe the ultimate judge is God. This is my personal belief. I do not have to agree with everyone else, but I will be respectful of everyone's beliefs. But please do not punish me, simply because you have a different view. If I can be respectful of others, why can't the same be extended to me? Discrimination is no longer more predominate in minority situations. In my opinion, discrimination happens more now to the majority...JMO though, not that it is worth much.
I am certainly not trying to offend anyone, and I believe I have been respectful in my wording. But if you should take offense, I am sorry!

·
Registered
178 Posts
hambys97 very well said. Its not about offending anyone, is about respecting each one choices and believes, and yes is very sad to see how little by little Christians rights has been taked away one by one.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I say, let the retail business eliminate "Christmas" from their money-grubbing take on this religious holiday! This will REALLY put the Christ back in Christmas. I have long deplored the dominance of retail advertising and often painful spending sprees encouraged in the "spirit of Christmas" when that is not at all what Christmas is about.

So, as a Christian, I support the banning of "Christmas" in retail advertising. This will allow greater focus on the holiday as a religious celebration, not as an economic, greed-centered one.

Amen!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I say, let the retail business eliminate "Christmas" from their money-grubbing take on this religious holiday! This will REALLY put the Christ back in Christmas. I have long deplored the dominance of retail advertising and often painful spending sprees encouraged in the "spirit of Christmas" when that is not at all what Christmas is about.

So, as a Christian, I support the banning of "Christmas" in retail advertising. This will allow greater focus on the holiday as a religious celebration, not as an economic, greed-centered one.

Amen![/B]

Good point, and DEFINETELY another way to look at it!!!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts

Amen![/B]
Who celebrates Christmas in October anyway? (Besides retail)

·
Registered
178 Posts

Amen![/B]
:eek: EXCELLENT POINT OF VIEW :eek:

Really worth of consideration.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.