Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking Chanel to get her first grooming on Thursday. Here is my problem, she has never had any problems with anal glands, so should I request that they not expel her anal glands? If it ain't broke, then don't fix it?

Help?

~Elegant

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I don't think they'll expel her glands if there isnt anything to expel. I don't think it'll be unbeneficial if they did. Talk to the groomers. This is a great way to get to know them. Good luck! I hope you have a great experience!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Well when we first looked into getting Caesar groomed at Petsmart the groomer told us when we do bring him in that she will expel them each month. My vet said this is not needed unless they are having problems with their anal glands. He said they do expel them on their own when they poop, and to do it just because each month is unneccessary pain for them. So I am wondering if she was saying it was needed to get a little extra money. Caesar is now 11 months and we have never had any problems with needing to get his done. Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
it seems as though sprite didnt have a problem until someone at petco told me that i should do it.....
so now i have to do it every 4-6 weeks. it sucks. dont do it!!! if you dont have to!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
As Caesar's mom said, not all dogs have to get their anal glands expressed. I have also heard stories of dogs being pretty sore after the groomers from having this done.

Lady only has to have hers done once and awhile and I have the vet do it. I home groom Lady, mainly becasue she got such awful haircuts the few times I had her professionally groomed. If those people couldn't even cut hair right, I'd hate to think of them expressing anal glands!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i learned the other day in class that anal glands is a term used incorrectly by vets....they are actually anal sacs and that true anal glands are very tiny glads that live on the back of the legs and around the anus, but the sacs are just two sacs on both sides of the anus. the reason why vets use the term "anal glands" is b/c if they want to tell a little old lady that her dog has anal sac problems she might hear the vet say "anal sex", so to avoid the embarrassign confusion they use gland instead.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Nov 10 2004, 04:38 PM
reason why vets use the term "anal glands" is b/c if they want to tell a little old lady that her dog has anal sac problems she might hear the vet say "anal sex", so to avoid the embarrassign confusion they use gland instead.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15844
[/QUOTE]

I seriously laughed out loud when I read that.. too funny! I can totally picture an old lady freaking out :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Nov 10 2004, 04:38 PM
i learned the other day in class that anal glands is a term used incorrectly by vets....they are actually anal sacs and that true anal glands are very tiny glads that live on the back of the legs and around the anus, but the sacs are just two sacs on both sides of the anus.  the reason why vets use the term "anal glands" is b/c if they want to tell a little old lady that her dog has anal sac problems she might hear the vet say "anal sex", so to avoid the embarrassign confusion they use gland instead.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15844
[/QUOTE]

So funny!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I do Abby's glands every second week when I bath her. It doesn't hurt her. You just have to make sure you don't squeeze too hard. If stuff doesn't start to come out, then I don't worry about it. Sometimes it will twice in a row and then it might only be the second or third time, so I just sort of "check" with a light squeeze.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got Chanel groomed and requested no anal sac squeezin' :lol: ! I wrote a note...per vet instructions, no expression of anal glands...they went along with it.

~Elegant

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is it true that once you have them expressed you have to do it periodically for the rest of their lives?
Or could it just be a one time thing...?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't had any anal sac problems
so I say...if it works, don't fix it. I just don't want anyone touching her and doing that stuff until it might be needed. But it isn't right now, and hopefully won't be a problem.

~Elegant

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Nov 15 2004, 08:34 PM
so I say...if it works, don't fix it.  I just don't want anyone touching her and doing that stuff until it might be needed.  But it isn't right now, and hopefully won't be a problem.

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16517
[/QUOTE]

Tuffy hasn't had any problems either so I'm not going to go messing around down there unless he starts, which I hope he won't :lol:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Mystify79+Nov 15 2004, 06:05 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Elegant
@Nov 15 2004, 08:34 PM
so I say...if it works, don't fix it.  I just don't want anyone touching her and doing that stuff until it might be needed.  But it isn't right now, and hopefully won't be a problem.

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16517
Tuffy hasn't had any problems either so I'm not going to go messing around down there unless he starts, which I hope he won't :lol:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16526
[/B][/QUOTE]
Exactly!

~Elegant

1 - 20 of 24 Posts