Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Ollie to the groomer today b/c he kept biting at his backside and it was very red. She checked and his glands were full. It has only been about three weeks since the last time they were expressed. She will find his grooming card and see what her notes are as to how full they were three weeks ago. Advised me I might want to mention this to the vet and find out about having them removed. This is scarey. Have any of you had this done to your fluff?

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Took Ollie to the groomer today b/c he kept biting at his backside and it was very red. She checked and his glands were full. It has only been about three weeks since the last time they were expressed. She will find his grooming card and see what her notes are as to how full they were three weeks ago. Advised me I might want to mention this to the vet and find out about having them removed. This is scarey. Have any of you had this done to your fluff?
No, I haven't, but don't over worry yourself right now. I would just give the vet a call and have your baby looked at, and let your vet examine Ollie and see what your vet says.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
I agree. Don't jump the gun. The vet might show you how to express them more frequently if needed. A couple of people on the forum had them removed on their dogs because they had to but I wouldn't read more into it right now.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Could just be that you need a little fiber added to the food. Also, I have found that the groomers just do a so so job of expressing the glands. If you are really having a problem, I recommend letting your vet office to the job. Ususally the vet tech does it. I know they can teach you how to do it but.....ewww.....Love my doggies, but....I just can't go there!!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Groomers often empty from the outside...so they may not be getting completely emptied. I agree about having your vet do it.
Anal gland problems can also be related to allergies. Dogs tend to present their allergies with skin problems, and the gland is lined with similar cells.

·
Registered
574 Posts
AG, no wouldn't remove at this point

Could just be that you need a little fiber added to the food. Also, I have found that the groomers just do a so so job of expressing the glands. If you are really having a problem, I recommend letting your vet office to the job. Ususally the vet tech does it. I know they can teach you how to do it but.....ewww.....Love my doggies, but....I just can't go there!!!

LOL..Pam..it isn't that EWWWW.... u r too funny!! (ok, it is a little eww..guess I am used to it :)

we find dogs have AG issues for a couple of reasons:
a) they've had soft poops, so the firmness wasn't there, to push the AG fluid out.
b) the dog is on a poor or middle of the line diet. dogs need a good diet to have firm stools
c) dog has allergies.. allergies are stemmed from yeast and yeast overproduction makes the orafices itchy. so ears, mouth, nose, eyes, feet pads/nail beds, penis, vulva and anus..ie, anal gland area can get filled with yeasty fluid. (skin doesn't have anything to do with yeast production. what happens when the skin is involved is.. dogs licks area, where there is overproduction of yeast and then licks skin, transfering it to skin...or yeast is on nailbed and dogs scratches skin, again, transfering it to skin.)

so, if it hasn't been a huge issue, even though it was "only" three weeks ago, I wouldn't think of removing them. On a little Maltese, they are SOOO easy to express. Try a 90lb Labrador. I have to brace my leg underneathy them and crank on their tail...that is, if I express form the outside. you don't EVEN want to know how I go in and do it from the inside..or do you (LOL.just kidding).

hope that helps you some...

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ollie eats Acana which is suppose to be a good dogfood and I give him a tsp. of pumpkin with his dinner. Over the past month, his eyes have started staining again and running and now this. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow to see if they can check for yeast infection where he is stained. I did have the vet tech tell me one time that there are two ways to express...outer and inner and he said most of the time groomers only do outer. There is no way I'm doing any expressing! I would be throwing up in a bucket as I did it!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ollie eats Acana which is suppose to be a good dogfood and I give him a tsp. of pumpkin with his dinner. Over the past month, his eyes have started staining again and running and now this. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow to see if they can check for yeast infection where he is stained. I did have the vet tech tell me one time that there are two ways to express...outer and inner and he said most of the time groomers only do outer. There is no way I'm doing any expressing! I would be throwing up in a bucket as I did it!!

If he does have yeast, watch feeding the pumpkin. anything with sugar, even natural sugar will feed yeast and pumpkin has a natural sugar in it. (I know, I've been off of sugar for 9 years!, none, none at ALL and vets dont' realize this because they really don't have alot of background education in diet) ... so, if he does have yeast issues, try and get a protein source in his food he's not had before and no grains, or go to a home cooked/raw diet (read Dr. Karen Becker's book, can get on amazon) and really educate yourself on feeding, read about specific diets and what dogs need.. and at top of the list, leave out all sugars (carrotts, green beans, fruits, corn, peas...all have sugar in them)

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
LOL..Pam..it isn't that EWWWW.... u r too funny!! (ok, it is a little eww..guess I am used to it :)

we find dogs have AG issues for a couple of reasons:
a) they've had soft poops, so the firmness wasn't there, to push the AG fluid out.
b) the dog is on a poor or middle of the line diet. dogs need a good diet to have firm stools
c) dog has allergies.. allergies are stemmed from yeast and yeast overproduction makes the orafices itchy. so ears, mouth, nose, eyes, feet pads/nail beds, penis, vulva and anus..ie, anal gland area can get filled with yeasty fluid. (skin doesn't have anything to do with yeast production. what happens when the skin is involved is.. dogs licks area, where there is overproduction of yeast and then licks skin, transfering it to skin...or yeast is on nailbed and dogs scratches skin, again, transfering it to skin.) so, if it hasn't been a huge issue, even though it was "only" three weeks ago, I wouldn't think of removing them. On a little Maltese, they are SOOO easy to express. Try a 90lb Labrador. I have to brace my leg underneathy them and crank on their tail...that is, if I express form the outside. you don't EVEN want to know how I go in and do it from the inside..or do you (LOL.just kidding).hope that helps you some...
OMG!!!! Big ewwwwwwww........:faint: :faint: :faint:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts